Witnessing at school

by I-follow-the-narrow-path 53 Replies latest jw friends

• I-follow-the-narrow-path
    I-follow-the-narrow-path

I was in class and by these two women (one who was a Christian and the other student I am unsure of). I asked them, randomly, "Do you know much about Jehovah's Witnesses?" -- they both said "Yes" and the non-Christian said "I had a JW friend and he really hated it... he disaproved of what they taught" -- I started to talk about shunning and disfellowship. Then I asked the Christian "Do you believe Jesus died on a cross?" -- she looked at me and said "Yes"... I told her that Jesus did not die on a cross.
    I began on a long rant about how the word (translated into cross) was mistranslated. I was talking so fast, with such truth in my voice. I talked so fast so that she wouldn't be able to talk herself. I did it without even knowing I was and she just looked at me with such a serious face. She changed the topic afterwards and didn't reply to what I said about the truth of the cross, perhaps she was nervous that I was (maybe) ridiculing her faith. I do not know why I did this, it was total impulse.
    I wonder... is witnessing at school the best thing to do?
    Did I really (unknowingly) ridcule her faith?

• KW13
    KW13

i dunno how to say this without sounding mean, but there is as much evidence for the cross if not MORE than there is a 'stake'.

The witnesses do not know of this, likely you don't either.

• Scully
    Scully

Actually, she probably was thinking to herself: "Poor baby... so young and so brainwashed"

• glitter
    glitter

I talked so fast so that she wouldn't be able to talk herself. I did it without even knowing I was and she just looked at me with such a serious face.

You sort of bullied her here and didn't let her speak to defend her beliefs, no wonder she was so serious!

The cross is Pagan - guess what, so were the Romans!

It actually doesn't matter AT ALL whether it was cross or stake, because that's just being really pedantic. The point is that Jesus died for the sins of mankind and MOST importantly, he rose from the dead 3 days later. That's the important bit.

JWs don't believe Jesus died for everyone's sins or that he is a mediator between you and God. Even though this goes against what the Bible clearly says.

If people ask you questions about studying with the JWs, fine you can witness to them, or if you place literature with your teachers (such as the School brochure) or with your friends (such as Young People Ask), then fine. But school is for learning secular facts, not having theological debates! :)

• blondie
    blondie

You sure have learned a lot in one month. Is that how your teacher treats you when you have an idea different than hers?

Blondie

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

She probably feels persecuted, which, as you know, proves that she has the true faith.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I wonder... is witnessing at school the best thing to do?

1. No. It is guaranteed way of getting yourself branded a psycho-fundie-religious geek.

2. Yes.

• snarf
    snarf

I know you are probably on that "new study high", but maybe you should learn more about the beliefs and reasons why before you start cramming your ideas down other people's throats.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

though I don't belive in the bible, it apparently addresses your situation at 2 Timothy 2:14

• Swan
    Swan

Dear Narrow,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I mean well by it and am not being sarcastic. Do you or have you ever thought about going to a counselor, psychiatrist, or social worker? I really think you would benefit from some stable influence in your life right now. Therapy can provide you with the emotional support you seem to need right now far better than we can or your JW teacher. When you do go, please tell him or her about the cutting issues as that is an important symptom for you to mention. It is usually indicative of very low self esteem and mental depression.

If you do go to a counselor or social worker, be sure to coordinate that treatment with the treatment you get form your medical doctor. There are several really good medications that your doctor can prescribe to you for depression. If one medication fails to work, tell your doctor so you can switch to another. Sometimes finding the right medication and the right dosage can be a lengthy process, so be patient. If you go to a psychiatrist, it's more expensive, but he or she can prescribe medication for you as well as provide therapy, saving having to coordinate between your G.P. and therapist.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit