JW Marriages - Loophole in wedding vows

by Finally-Free 30 Replies latest social relationships

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The vows you have posted are legally required in Canada. A couple of words here and there can be changed to essentially say the same thing but ya ain't married if you don't utter those words.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Finally-Free:I agree with your interpretation, too.

It wouldn't stand up in court, nor at a JC, but it might give a divorcee some peace of mind. Falling that, try reading 1Cor.7:15, including the situation of estrangement of affection (as often caused by other JWs, in the case of a UBM)..

• blondie
    blondie
    So would anyone be allowed to not change the vows but add some of their own?

I have never seen anyone able to add to the vows which are from the "slave" you know; why would something need to be added. It would be like added to the Bible. Blondie

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

JW weddings (I went to so many I could give the talk myself) are the dullest and most identikit gigs you would ever attend. Their vows are completely loveless; written by an old fart with no imagination who wanted to feel good about leaving his wife behind on earth when he went off to be a prince in heaven.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I remeber thsi one. it had to do with all the speclation that God wouod do away with marriage altogether in the new system ,so the vows were made to reflect this. so we are married unless in the new system God does away with marriage arangemnt. I did not like this and did not want to say it. They forced us to.(we did want to get married )

• curiouse about JW
    curiouse about JW

hi eveyone Im new at this.. im very confused and curious about this religion.. i know one JW and i have ahge crush on him. the other day he told me its to complicated to get into but he couldnt be with me becasue of his faith.. I understand hoe someppl are very religous.. but what ever happened to 'it was meant to be" or destiny.. I find it hard to believe that everyone JW will find there true soul mate within thier own community it's ass if JW's are forcsed to be with someone from there own faith rather then finding someone who may be better for them from another faith..have i lots you yet... im just confused can anyone give me some insight on this topic. i would like to hear from JWS themselves if possible to get aclearer vision on this topic... by the way im roman catholic...

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

cajw,
    As we have said in other threads, run away and forget your crush on this JW. Unless you become one yourself, there is no future for you.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I find it hard to believe that everyone JW will find there true soul mate within their own community

They don't, but if they want to be spoken to again by their family and parents, and not be condemned by their faith - they get on and make the best of it. After all they say "The New World is coming soon and everybody else will be slaughtered .. so better be good .

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

I don't think that it is a loop hole either. But there are loop holes. Like "Spiritual Endangerment", my x-brother-in-law used it on my sister as the reason why he left her.

Loruhamah

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    “I —— take you —— to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement.”

“I —— take you —— to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement.”

(<---) As the couple sees it, and (--->)

“I —— take you —— to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement [which includes being supportive of your wife's decision to waste many years of her life in a cult].”

“I —— take you —— to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement [which includes being supportive of your husband's decision to waste many years of his life in a cult].”

...as the organization sees it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit