JW Marriages - Loophole in wedding vows

by Finally-Free 30 Replies latest social relationships

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

JW weddings do not have vows.

The 'repeat after me' part is not vows. It is simple the couple obeying what the speaker is saying by repeating after him. They are reciting the words. No different than actors reciting lines.

There is no feeling or romance in that. How can there be? The heart is not there.

They didn't practice the vows before hand to know what they are vowing.

JWs are not married, other than legally, because they have not vowed anything.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Back in the day--my old dad was an Authorised Person-- to officiate at ( JW ) weddings. ( In the UK ).

Over the years he attended numerous weddings in the West Midlands--and he was a stickler for the official vow words had to be used.

He told me that At one wedding--the person conducting the ceremony decided to use his own words--and my dad stopped him and insisted he use the exact words in the script. I dont think he was too popular after that.

He told me the reason he was strict about it was in case of any future marriage bust up--the use of unauthorised vow words could result in the marriage being declared nul and void.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i once attended a JW wedding in my home congregation ( my dad wasnt there ). The authorised person wanted to see the -licence-? banns or whatever--?--but the couple had forgotten to do all that pre-nuptial formality. So the actual " tying the knot" couldnt proceed. But they went ahead with the rest of the speech--and we all attended the wedding reception--but the bride and groom each returned to their respective parents homes afterwards. The got a special licence and finalised their marriage a few days later.

I dont know if they stayed together.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Treshappy

40 minutes of advice we already know.

But weddings are not nearly as bad as funeral talks, or for that matter the usual sunday drivel

The old belief from anti marriage leaders was there would be no need for procreation after armageddon hence no marriages

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    He told me that At one wedding--the person conducting the ceremony decided to use his own words--and my dad stopped him and insisted he use the exact words in the script. I dont think he was too popular after that.

I heard of a case like that during a recent JW wedding. The "authorised person" was also a JW, and was also a stickler for the rules like your dad (rightly so, IMO). It wasn't as bad as the bro taking the service using his own words, but apparently what happened was that the bro was either underprepared or nervous and accidentally mis-spoke - leaving out some words or something similar - and the AP interrupted him and made him go right back and start over again.

Funny how only the vows for the wife mention respect.

This is based on the scripture at Ephesians 5:33 "Nevertheless, each one of you must love his wife as he does himself; on the other hand, the wife should have deep respect for her husband."

I suppose the idea is because the husband is supposedly the "head" of the marriage, having respect is considered more important towards someone "taking the lead".

But yes, respect should be a basic requirement on both sides (and come to that, in every family relationship - between kids and parents too).

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Stan the man But they went ahead with the rest of the speech--and we all attended the wedding reception--but the bride and groom each returned to their respective parents homes afterwards. The got a special licence and finalised their marriage a few days later.

😂😂😂Why waste a good nosh up?!!!

• Simon
    Simon

Marriage is a funny thing, it's history is hardly "romantic".

Back in goat-herder bible days, women were just more chattel to be traded, so it was a financial arrangement.

Later it evolved into a less obvious deal between two families, more to form alleigances.

Finally, governments used it to enforce segregation - requiring you get a license from them, to marry who they allowed you to.

Nowadays it seems like a huge industry - I can't believe people piss away so much money, esp. when you're starting out in life and could spend it on so many more useful things. But the media promotes the mantra that you're missing out unless you've thrown an expensive party for tons of people you don't really even know.

Anytime me and my wife have an argument, I always pause, point, and say "hey, remember ... lord in your heart!". Yeah, that usually gets a good reaction, LOL.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Simon

True, I still look at marriage partly as an economic deal. My wife needed things I could offer, I admired her commitment to family. We were not extravagant in youth, still not.

Sex with a beautiful hot woman certainly helped

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

At the rehearsal for my wedding with a JW, I had asked the elder if we would be rehearsing the talk and the vows. He replied that if we rehearsed the vows, then that would make us married.

Well, isn't that the goal here? What difference does it make if it happens that night or tomorrow during the ceremony?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Ratigan

Not really. In my state it is the signed and witnessed license. The vows could be: "I knowthere will be problems, but I love her/him"

I knew an elder who would not perform weddings because they " might" fail. No mention of fornication because of being denied.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit