JW Marriages - Loophole in wedding vows

by Finally-Free 30 Replies latest social relationships

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Not being raised as a JW, I went to many church weddings, mostly in Catholic churches. All the times I went to JW weddings I thought it unusual that they had their own vows, much different from the wedding vows used elsewhere. I remembered JWs mentioning "divine temination" of marriages to me and thought the vows reflected that thought. But when you look at the vows, it's obvious they're designed in such a way so that a JW doesn't have to feel he's breaking a vow to God if he leaves his wife. Here are the vows as printed in the April 15, 1984 Watchtower in the article "Christian Weddings That Bring Joy ".

“I —— take you —— to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement.”

“I —— take you —— to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement.”

These vows should not be altered or replaced to suit some whim of the couple.

In other words, the moment a married couple separates and live apart, the vows become null and void. Any JW who views a vow as a serious thing can dump their spouse with a clean conscience.

Obviously, this wouldn't change the proceedings required for a divorce, which is governed by state/provincial law, but it is another example of what low esteem the Watchtower Society has for families, and why it's so easy for JWs to destroy families.

W

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sorry mate, I have to disagree with your interpretation of the vow. It does not mean "As long as I chose to live togerther with you" . It means " As long as both of us are living on earth , unless God happens to change the marital arrangement some time in the future New World "

There has never been a suggestion that separation was an easy option. Quite the opposite in my experience since the congo would oppose such a separation unless the spouse was violent or made life impossible.

I would only concede that very recently marital separation seems to becoming a little more accepted , but only very recently and that was nothing to do with the wedding vow

• Fleur
    Fleur
    As long as both of us are living on earth , unless God happens to change the marital arrangement some time in the future New World "

I concur with Bluesbrother on this one. You're in it till you die or God abolishes marriage, period. Unless you can prove infidelity, which is not as easy as it sounds.

Believe you me, if this were a legitimate 'out' people would be using it right and left, and I never would have had to choose between my family and leaving a man who abused me and remarrying someone who treats me like treasure.

essie

(of the 'definitely, no regrets on the choices I've made', class)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Wow; you serve on the ISS and you get a scriptual divorce thrown-in for free!

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy
    to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect

Funny how only the vows for the wife mention respect. I guess the husband doesn't have to respect his wife.

Respect is earned not given.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    " As long as both of us are living on earth , unless God happens to change the marital arrangement some time in the future New World "

You forgot the word "together". Maybe I'm too picky about wording. I work in a political environment, and nothing goes out of here in print until every word has been picked apart by our team of experts™. Even then mistakes are still made sometimes. But the one I showed this to believes these vows were designed to allow for multiple interpretations.

I agree, JWs won't permit divorce unless there's evidence of adultery, but that won't prevent them from forcing a separation, or even forbidding a reconcilliation as they did in my case. (spiritual endangerment).

W

• jgnat
    jgnat

I figger it was designed for the rare Anointed few so they can fly off to heaven with a clear conscience.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Oooh!!!Ooooh!!! I know the answer, Mr. Kotter!! Oooh!! Ooooh!!

If you were an astronaut, on an extended mission in space, then you COULD truthfully say that you are no longer living together ON EARTH, because obviously, you are not.

So, the solution is, become an astronaut!

• openminded2
    openminded2

So would anyone be allowed to not change the vows but add some of their own?

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I think JW wedding ceremonies are the most boring things to attend...so routine, so UGH!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit