Do we trade one arrogant "I am right" for another "I am right" attitude?

by free2beme 27 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

There's a major drug/alcohol addiction recovery center near where we live and after I exited the dubs I saw a newspaper ad for a free lecture that sounded interesting and I went. The speaker was talking about recovery from alcoholism as a spiritual journey and I was blown away at the similarity between leaving one's addiction to a toxic substance and leaving one's toxic religion.

The speaker that day talked about what he learned about himself in recovery. His chief character flaw was an obsessive desire to be right about everything. "I had to be right or I'd die," he said. That resonated with me. My eyes opened and I realized THAT's why I became - and remained - a dub for so many years, even after the doubts and inconsistencies began to pile up.

I had this need to be right about everything, and the dubs filled that need. It seemed that they had ALL the answers. They were on the RIGHT side in some cosmic universal struggle. They knew the answers to all of life's BIG questions. It turns out, of course, that none of that is true.

Now I don't need to be right. I know I won't die if I'm not. And, guess what? Not knowing all the answers isn't so scary. The universe is a mystery. You learn to embrace it.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

No, I don't think I'll ever have that uninformed confidence again, because I hope that for the rest of my life I'll assume I don't yet have all the facts. It was comforting, but a delusion.

• nomoreTRUTHplz
    nomoreTRUTHplz

I also had a need to have ALL the answers and being a witness filled that void, at least for a time. I wonder if that's one of the biggest reasons witnesses stay in the org. When you leave you have to face the uncertainties of this life. And of course they use this to their advantage. They ask people ' why do we die? what is the purpose of life? who is the true god? why is there suffering?' And then of course they let you know that they are the only ones who can answer this.

So I guess they got one thing right: The biggest human need is to possess the answers to lifes big questions.

• acadian
    acadian

Hello All !

So, are you arrogant and right in your beliefs? qt. freetobeme
    Only insomuch as saying my beliefs are right for ME. qt. LDH

I agree with you LDH, my belief's are right for me. As far as what other's believe, as long as harming no one is part of what they believe I have no problem with their belief's. the one thing I noticed when I first started studying with JWs, was the arrogant additude display toward non-JWs in their comments. Looking back, I can remember quite a few instances where terms such as "dirt bags" "scum bags" and other non.enduring terms were used But, I closed my eyes for almost 20 yrs until I couldn't take the hypocricy anymore. Believe what you want, and be who you are, but harm no one ! Acadian

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    So, are you arrogant and right in your beliefs?

Why are you so arrogant and right in your beliefs to ask that question? In other words, what gives you the right to question what I believe?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    In other words, what gives you the right to question what I believe?

how about... If you refer to cannabis smokers as "human debris", but you yourself may enjoy having a cuba libra

Actually XJW4EVR glad you take the opportunity to make light of the subject, and am glad to know you can enjoy a cuba libra...

• Fleur
    Fleur

Heck no, I didn't. I want to wear a little hat that says "Don't follow me, I'm lost too."

The best thing I've ever learned is that truly, I know nothing. And neither does anyone else. We're all just muddling through the best we can. This helps a lot preventing me from judging anyone.

essie

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    how about... If you refer ;to cannabis smokers as "human debris", but you yourself may enjoy having a cuba libra

How about, the smoking of cannabis is illegal, and the drinking of rum, coke & a wedge of lime isn't? I have already had this conversation with my 16 year old.

Besides, I grew up with a number of pot smokers, and most of them are not, how shall we say, productive members of society. Please note the use of the word "most." However, this is off-topic.

In regards to my question: The fact that the poster would even post what he/she posted is indicative of arrogance. It assumes that someone else is interested in what the poster has to say. A bit arrogant don't you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit