High School Graduation

by Jim_TX 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Okay - since Larry isn't gonna ask it... I will.

Did you attend your High School Graduation?

Cap & Gown stuff - the whole nine yards?

I'll say that I didn't. It wasn't even a consideration, either.

Heck... I wasn't allowed to go to Senior 'Honors' Night - where I was elected to receive some sort of recognition. Still kinda grinds me to this day... stupid stuff I had to go through growing up. Basically 'invisible'.

Regards,

Jim TX

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yes, cap and gown and the whole nine yards. Even got a graduation party out of it, my aunt (she's a jw too) threw the party for me and all who attended were jws, even the brother, who took me to prom and was publicly courting me, was there.

Josie

• juni
    juni

Graduated in the old year 1967. Wasn't a JW then. Boring, hot. No party. Went to others' parties though.

Juni

• luna2
    luna2

The dubs didn't seem to mind graduation stuff at either of the two congos I attended. In fact, they would often have huge graduation parties with the whole congregation invited. Gifts expected, money preferred.

• undercover
    undercover

High School graduations weren't a problem in our area.

In fact, it was one of the bigger milestones of a born-into-it JWs life. Because after that you either pioneered, went to Bethel or got a minimum wage job.

The thing that most JW kids weren't allowed to do was share in the post grad parties at someone's house or go to the beach for the next few days. That was the big thing were I grew up. It was tradition: party after graduation, then the next morning (or afternoon, depending on the severity of the hangover) pile into a car and head to the beach.

But for JWs it was a JW grad party, complete with parents, grandparents and elders, have some punch and cake, then you could stay up and watch the Johnny Carson show before going to bed. Good times.

• VM44
    VM44

Richie Rich graduates June 10th.

--VM44

• blondie
    blondie

I did managing to avoid the flag/anthem thing by sitting down afterwards (with administration help and blessing). But then they weren't so strict yet and my father was not a JW. I didn't even mind the prayer....nothing objectionable in it, directed to God through Jesus' name.

Had a small party afterwards and got cards and presents...a novelty after years of no BDs and Christmas. Never got presents again from my family.

Blondie

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

Nope - missed out on that too thanks to dub-dumb!

I was disfellowshipped at 16 and finished out high school via a home school program that gave you a real diploma (not G.E.D). I was NOT going to go to school and sit in classes with the JW girls from my hall.

I had never made any real non-JW friends at school anyway.

When I think about how much I missed out on in life thanks to the JW crap I could just spit!

Thins are going to DIFFERENT for my kids, that's for d*mn sure!

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

No high school graduation for me.... Shit, my father wouldn't even sign my permission slip for Driver's Ed.... Come to think of it, My father did his best to make sure I didn't graduate by moving our family around right at the time of my final exams...

,Mike

• Nikita
    Nikita

I missed out on my high school grad. not because I was told I shouldn't attend simply because it was a high school grad, but rather because it occured the same week as our DC and I felt as if I should put that first. I think I even got baptized during the same DC! I was a self-righteous 18 year old back then. I remember my principal trying her best to talk me out of my decision "you'll regret it," she said.

I really do regret it.

Nikita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit