High School Graduation

by Jim_TX 18 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

Graduations were fine in my area / time period. Did the whole nine yards.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Yes I did - even had a part on the program. We had a small party afterwards at a local restaurant.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I don't think the locals have a problem with graduations.

• free2beme
    free2beme

The only Witnesses I know that did not, were ones that were home schooled. Otherwise, we all went and many of us walked together when we had a choice. The after party would often be held at one location for all those in the area that graduated and we would have snacks and a dinner and in some cases a pool party. It was actually a positive thing. My graduation we went to this gathering and then left and went to the school one too. It was a fun night.

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

Graduation parties were big in my area. Probably because it was the only time we got parties...with balloons, gifts, cake etc. It was like 18 birthdays all rolled into one.

• spawn2u
    spawn2u

I went to 7 high schools by mid Junior year. My last school, I was in for 1 month when I decided to take the GED and get out. The JW religion is directly responsible for my education issues and the fact that I have no graduating class, no re-union to goto, no friends that go back past 20's.

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

The commencement was considered a big no-no in our cong. I still remember how much it hurt me. I remember leaving my 'good" JW parents at home with my JW rebel boyfriend from another more liberal hall and a girlfriend from yet another liberal hall. I received honors and graduated within the top 5 of my class. Who do I have to remember it? Nobody - boyfriend dumped two months later and fair-weather friend not long behind.

I did, however, have a big cong open house grad party. THAT was okay. Of course it was strictly chaperoned and music wasn't allowed should it create sexual tension among the young visiting.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

oh hhells yeah i went... best time of my life too, well the prom thing, and maybe not the best, but i had alot of fun... but then again, i was living on my own before i graduated, so no one could tell me no!!

the infamous one

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

My JW husband did not get to graduate with his class because his parents moved and he ended up doing his senior year at a different school. There, he didn't know anyone, his grades went down, and he became discouraged. He blames his parents for his failure and for not waiting another year before the move. He regrets not graduating with his class and all that jazz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit