Why do so many show such anger towards JW who post here? What might help?

by Lady Lee 58 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Lady Lee,

What do you think would help the most?

I believe a One-on-One discussion area might be very beneficial for this purpose. It would be good for everyone to be able to read the posts there, and start threads in other areas if they wanted to discuss things that spin off from the One-on-One discussions or PM the ex-JW or JW possible suggestions for talking points, but basically allow the person to engage one poster in testing their basis for their convictions.

I can think of several instances where such One-on-One discussions could have prevented a JW from leaving in anger and frustration.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Ahh, LL, the voice of reason. I have often wondered that very thought.

Although I am not a jw, I am a jw sympathizer. I can see thru the eyes of the ones I love that are still jws that they would never stay in the thread to read all the good reasonable posts made because they would be so offended by those threads that are aggressive that they would automatically pull out the persecution card and leave.

I agree with everyone that has said that respect is a big way to address the issue. However, it is difficult being the poster and the responder to a post, when you feel that you are personally being attacked. Religion is a passionate subject, it often causes the spirit to flare in defense of a matter.

But again, the medium we are using to post our thoughts can be easily misunderstood. It is a false medium, so how can we assure that what we write will be taken in the context it was meant. I don't think that is possible. Granted when there is an apparent all out attack there is no confusing the meaning of the text. However, I do think there have been times when I have read a post and someone else has read a post and we have taken it's meaning differently. So again, how do you prevent people from taking offense when no offense was meant. I don't know if that it is possible.

• mavie
    mavie
    I would many times post what appeared to be a pro-jw comment. In reality my goal was to articulate what I was taught my whole life so that hopefully an intelligent person could explain the faults in my reasoning. Some times the results were positive. However, many times I received very negative responses from very angry posters. The process was very frustrating and quite discouraging.

I would agree with this statement. Pro-jw comments are not necessarily an indication a person blindly believes what they just typed. It's almost like a cry for help.

• heathen
    heathen

I hate them because the they are lying thieving hypocrytes that insulted and conspired against me for no reason at all . The ones I was related too are complete jerks that think they know everything and can crap on whoever they want whenever they want .

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's understandable anger towards an organization that has done so much damage. I imagine as soon as a visible target shows up (professed JW), it is darn tempting to take out all that pent-up rage on them.

It's so much easier when the newbie JW uses those trigger words, phrases, and bigotry used to separate themselves from the stinky "world". Such as "You all hate Jehovah."

I do find such language highly offensive. How can they assume to know anything of my motive or who I am?

I WOULD NEVER however, demand that JW trolls leave my comfy board and go running back to momma (Kingdom Hall), or state the obvious, their hypocrisy. For whatever reason, they have a need to talk it out. Think of latent gays and their homophobia. I think for some JW apologists, we are a dreaded obsession. They stick around just to see what we will say.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

What I resent that happens sometimes is if I post anything that may agree with some of the JWs beliefs in any way, then I am told I am still brain-washed and under their mind control. I really hate that. It happend recently when I said I did not believe the trinity. This is a view I have held at least 13 years of my life prior to the JWs. It just happened to agree with the WT, and I dont think all their teachings are wrong. When I stated this, the poster who said I was still brainwashed did not believe what I was saying.

Recently I started the thread calling "name calling and bullying in the name of religion", Many of us have not learn how to debate in a way that does not resort to trying to tear down and totally humiliate the one with the opposing view. And we still believe there is only one right answer. It is the black/white mentality that we need to change. I don't see any need for this at all.

We all need to respect everyone else's opinion. We did not like the way the WT dehuminized us by name calling (demonized, apostate, etc) so you think we would learn the lesson and not do the same thing to others.

I think if it resorts to name calling or similiar tactics, I will just stay out of it in the future.

Good post LL

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

As usual Lady Lee you have given us cause for thought.

I must admit that I have never really felt any of that anger that some have after their postings. Even when angry or disguted about life I have really been bouyed by the people here both on the board and through pms. However, I see what you are refering to and agree completely.

JWs are warned that apostates are always negative and angry because they are now so unhappy so your point is well taken.

Cab

• JAVA
    JAVA

Most of us have had similar histories in that we were JWs, but that’s about where it stops. Folks posting can carry JW baggage, hurt, anger, hate or embrace religion, different social and economic backgrounds, etc. It’s an open market of minds and places, and all in all I think most behave fairly well. It’s true that some posters get ganged up on if they have JW filters in front of their glasses, but that’s going to happen in any group that was spiritually raped by a cult. Stuff can boil over quickly, and it’s easy to jump into the fray.
    You’re right, it might be better if that didn’t happen, but look from wince we came.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

CAUSE THEY DON'T PRAISE ALLAH. THAT IS WHY

• brother
    brother

Personally I do not feel a great deal of resentment toward the religion, but I do know a few who do and the majority of those are the recently disfellowshipped. I don't blame them at all. As most of you know how hard it is, with some growing up in this religion or some serving many many years, to have so-called friends one day and then the next to be totally ignored and shunned. This is an extremely difficult situation not only from an emotional point of view but also spiritual, because some feel that since they were ousted by the congregation, they feel that they have sinned against the holy spirit as well. Basically feeling "ousted" by God also(which we know is not the truth) This can cause many mixed emotions that sometimes come out, more so in this forum, because where else are ones going to vent. What all of us can do for the the newly DF'd or anyone feeling resentment or anger is for ourselves to show the "real" love that Christ spoke of (unconditional). We can also show them that there is still a God that cares about them. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit