What does the term 'Borg" mean?

by south african beef 26 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

From the wiki article,

"The term 'bOrg' is satirically employed by ex-Jehovah's Witnesses to refer to the Jehovah's Witnesses organization in a negative way. The usage is derived from "bible Organization", and is used to imply a large degree of control of members by the organization.

BORG could also stand for "brooklyn Organization" as the world wide headquarters of The Watchtower is in Brooklyn, NY.

--VM44

• south african beef
    south african beef

'What-A Coincidence' - My alias 'South African Beef' is a family in-joke and would take ages to explain and is not even very funny!

A few that knew me may guess who I am but I doubt it.

Anyway why all the Allah references?

• dabatgaly
    dabatgaly

so which came first borg as in orginisation or we r the borg

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

They even did a mag on it...

alt

• AlanF
    AlanF

As I recall, the term "borg" was first used on the old jesus-witnesses email forum back around 1995. It derived exclusively from the characters in Star Trek. Only later did it take on the nuance of "Brooklyn Organization". I never saw anyone derive it from "Bible Organization"; in fact, that's a bit offensive to ex-JWs.

AlanF

• JAVA
    JAVA

Alan,

Didn't Jey come up with that term? We used to use it a lot in the old Philia list, too.

• Mary
    Mary

LMAO@ Dr. Jekyll..........

Just to add to everyone's comments above, the Borg on Star Trek also allowed no individual thought or "independent thinking".....they were also under the belief that they would die if they were disconnected from the rest of the Collective. There was no reasoning with them and their sole mission in life was to bring you into the fold......

Sound familiar?

• Forscher
    Forscher

Loved it Doc Jekyll!
    My son asked me to save it so he could send it to a couple of his online friends. It'll probably be around the net in no time!
    Forscher

• Forscher
    Forscher

By the way.
    Did anybody online ever draw a parallel between certain elders and the psycorps on Babylon 5? The way they acted like god and went around entoning "the corps is mother, the corps is father" always me struck as having to have come from somebody would been a Dub. It was just too uncanny.
    Forscher

• vitty
    vitty

Dr jeckel

That mag front was really horrible..........................but true

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit