Newbie question; Why do JW hypocrites PROVE that they're a cult?

by psycsnacha 101 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scully
    Scully
    why the reliance on pointing out hypocrites to prove points?

Well, for one thing, this is what the WTS and JWs do to "prove" that all other religions cannot be the One True Religion™. Why should they expect to be above similar scrutiny? "With what judgment you are judging, you will be judged; and with the measure that you are measuring out, you will have measured out to you" is what Jesus said right after he commanded his disciples to stop judging one another. (Matthew 7)

Have you taken any ethics courses in med school yet? What would be your ethical responsibility if you found out that the Chief of Surgery where you worked was involved in corrupt practices - like a conflict of interest for example - that were endangering the lives of patients? Wouldn't you feel compelled to do something to spare innocent lives from harm?

Most of us here have been compelled by our consciences and our sense of ethics to expose "wrongdoing" (as the WTS would call it when applied to a follower) committed by the WTS. Do you realize that a JW can be disfellowshipped/disassociated for joining an organization like the YMCA even if it is only to use the swimming pool? Yet the WTS affiliated itself with the UN (and remains affiliated with the UN), an organization that the WTS itself has identified as the scarlet coloured wild beast of Revelation that commits spiritual fornication with "Babylon the Great" (the harlot who rides the beast), whom the WTS has identified as the World Empire of False Religion™. They require a level of purity of their followers that they are not even willing to fulfill themselves. In their publications they state that someone who joins an organization whose purposes are in opposition to God's Heavenly Government™ has voluntarily disassociated from the JWs on the grounds of "spiritual fornication" and is subject to shunning by friends and family, while at the same time the WTS does exactly the same thing with impunity. There are no checks and balances of accountability - and that makes the organization potentially quite dangerous.

That's just the beginning.

You say you have a psych background - have you ever studied Lifton's work on thought reform and totalism? JWs fit all eight criteria that Lifton identified in groups who employ unethical forms of thought reform/mind control. Why don't you check it out, and come back to discuss it with us?

Welcome to JWD!

Cheers, Scully

• psycsnacha
    psycsnacha

Thank you all for the intelligent discussion.

It seems to be that a main underlying theme of the discussion on this site is that ultimately we aren't EXACTLY sure how Jehovah is working for us today. The WTS speaks of being the earthy manifestation of God's kingdom (of which Jesus is now ruling). Well let me be more precise in my questions because I respect the fact that their is an abundance of experience on this site. That can't be discounted.

Do you all accept that we are in the last days now (regardless if it started in 1914 or not)?

Do you all accept that Jehovah's spirit is guiding an earthly form of his kingdom now?

What are you thoughts on Jesus's words that "the good news will be preached in all of the inhabited earth, and then the end will come?"

I think I accept the WTS on a very few lines of evidence, despite all that is involved with studying with the JWs.

1. It being prophesied that the gentile times would end and the last days would see some sort of rebirth of God's earthy people with an accompanying spread of the truth about God across the globe.

THoughts? Do you all accept that the BIBLE says this? How can fulfillment of this be explained if not by the worldwide preaching work of the JWs?

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

Many people on earth knew of Jesus and his teachings longgggggggg before the Watchtower publishing company was born....and today even without the JWs, The earth is filled with the knowledge of Jesus....that doesn't mean all have excepted him as God's son.

I personally don't see were the WTS has the truth....although at one time I thought they did....until I learned the "Truth about the Lie"

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings psycsnacha

Welcome to JWD. In your 4 year tenure, have you adopted the belief that only JW's will inherit the earth. And that praying for "God's Kingdom" translates to praying and ardently wishing 1000 tsunamis and Hurricane Katrinas for everyone (except JW's) on earth?

Most people on this earth haven't a clue who Jehovah's Witnesses are. Although that thought may never cross your mind in study with them. They purport to have put this world on notice. How can that be so when more than likely your closest neighbor hasn't a clue who they are.

Dismembered

• acadian
    acadian

Welcome to the board pysc,

Why do JW hypocrites PROVE that they're a cult?

I don't understand the question, I'm not a JW anymore, but I was for twenty years. And I know their hypocrites, Read this post about the YMCA and the United Nations. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/111458/1945164/post.ashx#1945164 Here's something to consider "New Light" IN the WTS world, "New Light" can make an old truth invalid, and sometimes makes old truths that were made invalid, valid again...go figure? How can something be truth one day and not the next? And then become's truth again, later on? In truth, "New LIght" never d iminishes old light, but it makes that truth more understandable, unlike the WTS policy of flip flopping on their belief's which have cost the live's of many. . How many live's have been lost because of their "New Light" teaching's Don't be fooled by the pretty exterior, because inside, is full of dead men's bones, and all sorts of disgusting things. A rose by any other name still smells like a rose. And shyt by any other name still smells like shyt. Kind Regards Acadian

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Do you all accept that we are in the last days now (regardless if it started in 1914 or not)?

Do you all accept that Jehovah's spirit is guiding an earthly form of his kingdom now?

What are you thoughts on Jesus's words that "the good news will be preached in all of the inhabited earth, and then the end will come?"

I think I accept the WTS on a very few lines of evidence, despite all that is involved with studying with the JWs.

1. It being prophesied that the gentile times would end and the last days would see some sort of rebirth of God's earthy people with an accompanying spread of the truth about God across the globe.

THoughts? Do you all accept that the BIBLE says this? How can fulfillment of this be explained if not by the worldwide preaching work of the JWs?

In my view the WTS position on earth is self appointed and self serving; they have simply read the scripture and used them to support their own subsequent position in order to maintain some semblence of credibility; a credibility which is artificial.

I think your points however detract consciously or not from your original question of whether or not it can be proved that Jehovahs Witnesses are a cult on the basis of their hypocrisy. Whether or not we are in the last days is not an issue relevant to your original question. Whether or not Jehovahs spirit is guiding an earthly presence of his kingdom is irelevant to the original question.

What do you think about what has been discussed so far in relation to your original question and what comparisons have you made between what you have learned with the witnesses and what you have learned subsequently?

DB74

• psycsnacha
    psycsnacha

honestly,

Everything is being accepted. It's hard to pindown a single line of question for which to propose to the group since the inspiration for my post has come from all of what I've seen here. It is obvious that the emotions behind the commentary are real and cannot be dismissed as simple apostasy as the WTC would suggest. So therefore instead of responding to specifics I'll just propose another broad based question. How would you all NOW describe your search for God? Those who are ex-JWs, is your path towards finding the truth about God any clearer since you left? Are you non-denominational now and if so how do you reconcile the bibles words of not forsaking the gathering of brothers and sisters, also of the words of the existence of a united body of christian brothers and sisters. These questions I have brought up a number of times now and seem to be being AVOIDED. Believe me, I've read all of the links to articles outlining various points of evidence of hypocracy within the organization. Its not being an apologist to state again that the leaders of the organizations are just human. The discussion I've seen on this website is analogous to the academic community where 'truth' is scrutinized to the point where it is completely lost and probably never matter in the first place because what's empasized overwhelmingly is the questions; the means and not the end. The sentiment that I'm getting is that there is most people here believe that there is no definite path to Jehovah and that an organizations professed 'correct' path is relative. I hate the argument that truth is relative. Not necessarily because it's a bad argument; it isn't. But when it comes to God, I'm sure he did not want true seekers of him to be marred by such a confusing path. So, I respect those up here who truly are seeking the God presented in the Bible and who even believe that the Bible is God's true word to us. If that though is not you the please say so first. I questioning athiest (who deserves all respect) is quite different from a questioning christian. It'd be interested to know how much of both exists here and to what extent these two groups agree with each other and don't even know it.

• psycsnacha
    psycsnacha

I apologize for the grammatical errors. I'm excited to post so have only discovered them after I've already posted and I haven't yet seen a link to edit posts.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I apologize for the grammatical errors. ; I'm excited to post so have only discovered them after I've already posted and I haven't yet seen a link to edit posts.

No need to apologise, its great that your mind is open to other views! With regards to your editing posts simply click on the title of the post you wish to edit and you will be given options, one of them is to edit however this only works with your posts and can only be done within 30 mins of you posting. DB74

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Do not look upon a human organization to be God for you. All they can do is guide you. Trust me, I understand MANY of the stories being told here. I live the struggle too! But, that being said, I'm my own person.

Your words do not reflect that you are associated with the WTS. Note that WTS is "the sole medium of communication between man and Jehovah". You cannot be "your own person" and a JW because most aspects of life are rigidly controlled by the GB. You must look upon the GB, CO, PO and even elders as God giving them the same glory. WT 9/1/97 Check it out Dude!

Ergo, (according to the WTS) they are God to the members. Just out of curiosity, I assume you have investigated the change made in 1995 to the introduction of each and every WatchTower mag? If so you might understand the charges of false prophecy. Of course anyone in the Org who actually SHOWED you the change would be considered an "Apostate" regardless that they merely pointed out what is in black and white and regarded as "God's word" for many decades.

We all know what the Bible says about fleeing from false prophets don't we?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit