by Zico 290 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

So whatever date you agree on how would you get to 1914 from there anyway? The year day principle is not a biblical datum for predictive profecy eg when our lord said he would be in the tomb for 3 days did he mean 3 years ? "You may know i am an SDA and the JWs probably got the year day principle from the millerite movement. There have been discussions in SDA ranks and many no longer agree with the year day principle Barry

• scholar
    scholar

buffalosrfree

The biblical and secular evidence for 607 are the year for the Fall of Babylon which is 539 followed by the biblical and secular evidence for the Return in 537. These facts give a period of seventy years which was the period of servitude, desolation and exile as foretold by Jeremiah, quoted by Daniel and historically confirmed by Ezra, Zechariah and Josephus. Such began the Gentile Times which expired in 1914 as confirmed by modern day intellectuals as the most momentous year of the last and current century. Such understanding of matters confirms the discernment of both celebrated WT scholars under the direction of the faihful and discreet slave.

scholar JW

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Scholar,

Let's say that a tablet is found that conclusively dates the fall to 587BC. In this scenario what would that mean for the WTBS doctrine and for you personally. Would you leave the organisation?

• scholar
    scholar

barry

You ask about the span of centuries attributed to celebrated WT scholars? Upon reflection I would think that four centuries would be a good approximation of the chronological tradition.

The year day principle is a sound yardstick in determining matters pertaining to chronology and the fulfillment of prophecy and represent best practice in matters of exegesis.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Spectrum

What you ask for is a hypothetical. I could just as easily turn the question aroiund and ask for your conersion if a tablet is found confirming 607. The fact is that the Bible and the Bible alone is the basis for 607 and Bible is God's Word as truth wheras men's words are lies.

scholar JW

• Pole
    Pole

Looks like we're at it again ;-). LOL.

Scholar,

When did you stop including "BS and MA in religious studies" in your posts? I miss this phrase a lot ;-)

Cheers,

Pole

• barry
    barry

Scholar I am aware of some JW exegises reguarding the three and a half years from1914 to 1918 would this prophecy be better interpreted to mean 1260 years useing the year day principle as the SDA do ? This is the period of the dark ages and the persicution of true christians. As many SDAs teach.

i beleive this prophecy is best understood to be relevevent to christians of all ages also i beleive this 3 and a half years is taken from the ministry of our lord just as our lord went through three and a half years is also true for the church.

The three and a half years is also described as 42 months , times time and half a time as I recall and only once or twice 1260 days.

without the word day how can the datum work?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Vitty,

2520 years goes from 606 to 1914 if you include a year zero between 1BC and 1AD, which is what the Watchtower did, but it is wrong. When they realised that there is not zero year, rather than say the end started in 1915 they decided to stick to 1914 and change 606 to 607 instead.

The ridiculous thing is that Russell knew his mistake before 1914, so sometimes said the end would come in 1914 and sometimes in 1915. When the end did not come in 1914 for the next 12 months the magazines said it would come in 1915. When it did not come in 1915 the Watchtower reverted back to 1914 and to incorrectly counting a year zero for the next 30 years, probably because they thought 1914 looked more effective than 1915. It took 30 years before someone came up with the bright idea to do a proper calculation and change 606 to 607

• Legolas
  • Spectrum
    Spectrum

Scholar,

I was going to premptive your response with 'please don't say my question is hypothetical' but i didn't want to insult you by being presumptous.
    So let me answer your question first...

If it turned out to be 607BC then it would make no difference to me because I no longer believe in biblical prophecies as they are subject to interpretation as much as doctrinal issues.
    For example nation against nation and kingdom against kingdom could pertain to any period and maybe not necessarily traditional war.

I'd appreciate a direct answer to my question. What would it mean to you if a tablet categorically said 587BC?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit