Was Being a JW The Worst Thing That Ever Happened To You----In Reality??

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

No. The worst things have been being abused sexually and physically as a child. And my mother suffering and dying a long painful death from cancer.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

It was the thing that has had the longest consequences.

I would say getting married to the wrong person was the worst thing that ever happened, but in many ways it was because I was a witness that I made such a poor decision.

I think if I had been allowed to get an education I wouldnt have been in such a poor bargaining position when it came to marriage - I had everything to gain and nothing to lose. Also I would have had a wider choice of partners if I hadnt been a witness, and I wouldnt have been desperate to get married in order to have sex. (im not saying that was the only reason, but it certainly rushed the decision along nicely).

I would like my daughter to be financially independent before she chooses who to share her life with.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It has certainly had the most lasting effect on my life. I spent over 25 years associating with the wts, all for nothing.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yeah, which in reality means that my life is great. Just got to stop grieving the whole family, and I'll be rockin.

I do believe that for me and many others that being a JW or having family become JW's has been the worsh thing that has "happened" to us. But I do believe that those uf us who were not born into it, we would fully admit that the responsibility/blame is our own, since we made the desicion to join. However if someone makes a mistake in their life and then tries to correct that mistake, it does not give others the right to interfear with that person or their family. And yes the shunning does interfear with peoples lifes, even if it is only held to on occation.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I would say that wasting 20 years of my life (which is likely to turn out as 1/4 of my life) in a cult is the worst thing that ever happened to me. I am a survivor of a single act of sexual predation by strangers, which is by no means as traumatic as ongoing predation by someone known that should be a protector, but that single event has not scarred me as deeply as my JW saga.

Yes. Being a JW is the worst experience of my life.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• anewme
    anewme

No, becoming a JW was no worse than hiding in a box for 30 years. Im out now and discovering the earth for the first time like some Mork character!

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

Certianly not. There has been some good stuff and some bad stuff, just like most of life. I don't take it too seriously and I'm not about to let angst dominate my life.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Taught me good morals, good study habits, great training on the theocratic school .Kept me honest, prevented me from ever taking drugs, made me stop smoking - all which have been a great benefit

The price is too high - you've paid for a mansion and ended up with a tarpaper shack. "But, hey, at least I've got a roof over my head." Anyone who thinks they have gotten value out of being a dub is manifesting the power of brainwashing.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Because I was "born into" the bOrg, I can honestly say that everything bad that has ever happened to me can be traced directly to my JW upbringing that led to:

• lack of opportunities
    • missed opportunities
    • lack of practical experience
    • lack of practical knowledge
    • lack of education
    • guilt
    • impaired self-esteem
    • depression
    • isolation and alienation from peers
    • nearly disabling shyness
    • cognitive dissonance (confusion)
    • lack of true spiritual growth