Was Being a JW The Worst Thing That Ever Happened To You----In Reality??

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• ferret
    ferret

Probably, because back in 1959 married the first girl I went with , the end was right around the corner and you know no marriage in the new order. What a mistake that was, it screwed up 20 years of my life.

That makes a total of 40 wasted years.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

No, being molested at 11 or 12 by an elders son who was 19,20? Then when he "confessed" and told the brothers that we (he had molested about 10 kids) had ALL "seduced" him and we were accused of being homosexuals and it was all our fault and why did we think it was ok to seduce poor J Muirhead...

One of the few people in this world I would run over intentionally with my car (well I might run over his dad and brother too)... In fact if I saw him walking down the sidewalk and thought he might cross the street I think I would just keep circling the block until I got my chance...

So no being a witness wasn't the worst thing. However being a witness allowed the worst thing to HAPPEN! I really think the treatment AFTER the abuse was worse than the abuse! If I had been a Catholic it might have happened but I very much doubt that the church would have had some bishops drag me in the back room and tell me all that bullshit above!

• minimus
    minimus

I believe that many were disappointed immensely because they believed that if they were "in the Truth", they would not be effected by what goes on in Satan's rotten world. To realize that there is no unconditional brotherly love or that molesters still roam around the Kingdom Halls can make anyone feel a sense of utter loss and disillusionment,.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

to me it was one of the best things

• minimus
    minimus

Why, Stilla??

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Taught me good morals, good study habits, great training on the theocratic school .Kept me honest, prevented me from ever taking drugs, made me stop smoking - all which have been a great benefit

• undercover
    undercover

No, it's not the worst, but it ain't the best either.

I'm disappointed in myself for not seeing through it any quicker than I did. It's kind of hard to blame others for my own shortsightedness. I'm disappointed that my parents were so weak-willed to be led into this, dragging us kids along the way.

I still have some good memories and some friends from those days. I did learn some things. I'm a better public speaker because of the Ministry School.

Of course, there are many things that I still find galling about the religion and their practices, but power is knowledge and now that I know what I know, I have the power to not let them influence me in a negative way anymore.

It's a part of who I am and who I was. I can't escape what I was and what I did. I accept it, regret parts of it, but I have to move on and enjoy life now instead of dwelling on the bad that was.

• minimus
    minimus

Stilla, maybe you should continue on as a JW.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    Taught me good morals, good study habits, great training on the theocratic school .Kept me honest, prevented me from ever taking drugs, made me stop smoking - all which have been a great benefit

Stilla at least you offer a balanced point ov view and I respect that. I think if an individual was a JW and really tried to live the life of one they would have the benefits you speak of. Problem is there are many JWs in name only these days so that good benefit is often lost. To me it wasnt the worst either since I have my wife and children that I wouldnt have otherwise.

• undercover
    undercover

I can relate to what Stilla is saying in that I have a friend who became a JW in his twenties. This guy was well on his way to a life of crime, drugs and probably prison.

He started studying with the JWs and eventually became one. Today he is one of the JWs that I have the most respect for out of all the ones that I know. Not because he's a "good" JW, but because he is a good person. He's a good father, husband, son to his parents and he's one of the few merciful elders that I know.

Becoming a JW probably saved his life. He's admitted that. He's said numerous times that becoming a JW is the best thing that ever happened to him. Sadly, though he has said, that even if the JWs aren't the "one, true" religion, he won't become disloyal to it because it was they who saved him from his former life.

In that regards I can see why someone feels as Stilla does.

What JWs don't always realize is that JWs aren't the only ones who have pulled people back from the brink of disaster. I work with a Baptist preacher who as a teen and young adult was heavy into drugs and partied constantly. He then got "saved" and gave his life to Jesus and has become a better man for it. He is as loyal to his religion as my JW friend is to the JWs.

I don't think that being saved from a life of crime or drugs is the sole basis for blindly following a religion, but I can understand why some feel that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit