Was Being a JW The Worst Thing That Ever Happened To You----In Reality??

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

deaths in our family were the worst..................of course the most horrendous death, was because of being JW's and no blood. My brother's wife, at age 35 after a botched childbirth. The baby died too. Our family never recovered from that. It was in 1977 and we are still damaged by that experience.

Going through my cousin's (also she was my best friend) breast cancer experience, chemo, surgeries, brain tumor, etc., and finally her death, was right up there with the worst time of my life. She died 5 days before 9/11, so it was a really bad week.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Stilla, maybe you should continue on as a JW. Minimus, at the moment that is what I am doing - it could be worse - I could be a serial killer

• minimus
    minimus

There are those that "need" to belong to something. They need validation. They need to feel better about themselves. They need to be part of the group. I know of a few persons that if they didn't become Witnesses would probably have been dead or at least in jail. They needed something to help them to change----or else.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No. Family betrayal was the worst.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Min

How on earth does someone evaluate that.

In my case with sexual, physical and emotional abuse before and during my time as a JW probably I was trapped.

However, the spiritual, emotional and sexual abuse during my time as a JW and including the abuse from my elder-husband compounded my problems and prevented me from getting the help I needed. As a JW I was taught, as ewe all were< that emotional problems were due to not praying enough, not getting to all the meetings and not going out on service regularly - just never doing enough and of course not having the right heart condition. As an adult I believed I was still trapped. Instead of my beliefs strengthening me they reinforced that feeling of being trapped. So even though I was an adult I believed I had no choices

It's really hard to determine which was worse.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

But don't you think that each person takes out of life different experiences.

I don't think my life was bad. Being raised in the religion helped me in a lot of ways. I am dyslexic (all of them dyscalcula; dysgraphia, etc.) and having to read all the time, give talks, speak in public, read aloud, helped me in so many ways. If I was not forced to do it, would I have. Probably not. I floundered thru the school system until my mother put up a stink and I got tested (twice because the first test failed to show anything and my mom forced the school to take a second test). I am fully compensated now and have gone on to further education and to work in a field that can be some what challenging.

I made and continue to have a ton of friends that were/are JWs. I traveled the world and met tons of people, most of which I am still friends with today and do still travel with.

Because of having an LD and being a different religion, I learned courage at an early age. I learned to speak up for myself. I learned loyalty and honesty. Yes, my mother had/has a lot to do with this as well. But I think the fact that she was raised in the religion and went through what she went thru, helped clear a path for me.

Not everyone's experience in the religion was bad. I am not trying to minimize what anyone went thru. But I think sometimes people here minimize the good experiences that people share. Just the same as it would be shameful for anyone to downplay a person's painful history, people here should respect someone who did not have to walk thru hell to reach where they are at. Not everyone has to shake the hand of the devil to know evilness.

Stilla, I think you should be commened to finding your own path and sticking to it. Good on ya'.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just because it wouldn't be the WORST thing to happen to me means I'd want to join. Not in the least. I value my skin and my time. And I get more protective of my frame as I get older.

The WORST thing to go through was coming to terms with my son's chronic mental illness. A close second was the violent abuse I suffered under my ex-husband.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

No, not even close....

If this is the worst thing to happen to me ( that meaning leaving a cult, which I grew up thinking was my path to salvation, and loosing a handful of people whom I believed were true life long companions) I think I would be pretty lucky....just water off my back if you think about it.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Yes. Although there are some positive aspects of life inside the WTS in the way of public speaking and morals, those positive things may have come about regardless. Those aspects cannot undo a life of emotional distance, an illusion of family and life forever, forgoing education, making poor decisions in life based on a lie - there are too many cruelties to list. The belief in a right to act so righteously in the name of the WTS and cause such pain for others including one's own fleshly family. A life where there are no memories of close childhood celebrations, giving up a teenage love of sports; never having dated; gone to a dance; getting to know non JW relatives; being taught to judge others unjustly and following through on those teachings; terrified of demons as a child; seeing evil and Satan everywhere outside the KH...the basis for being raised as a JW is a lifetime of fear, pessimism and a distance from the world and everyone in it. Finding out the 'truth' about the society when you are over 50, not only rips up your entire foundation, but it narrows your options down considerably when you realize that you have no money, no education, no pension, no friends, no family, no hobbies etc and you have only a short time left to try to catch up. The betrayal of the Watchtower is all encompassing and it becomes the basis of destruction for so many families and so many people when they leave.

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, min, I don't believe my life was ruined. I just learned that if my life were to get better I had to cut myself off from the abuse and the abusers.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit