Do you think that my college professor is a "racist"?

by booker-t 29 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

I am in a dilema at school that I need some feedback on. My Geography professor is a young Caucasian man in his mid 30's. He is very knowlegable about the other countries in the world but he always seem to make negative statements about blacks, hispanics, asians and native americans. At first I kind of dismissed it and figured he would eventually stop but it seems that it is getting worse and I feel that I might have to go to his supervisor the Dean of the History Dept. I would hate for a teacher to lose their jobs because I have so much respect for all teachers in the world but I just can't stand the racist remarks any longer. The problem is if I go to the Dean the first thing they will say is that I am a "overly-sensitive" black person that cannot stand to hear the truth. This is far from the truth. I am the first person in the world to correct black people from living up to negative stereotypes. I am constantly getting on my nephew for wearing his pants hung down with his underwear showing. I think this does a "disservce" to young African American and Hispanic males when they are trying to apply for a job. So I can take criticism when it is deserved. But my professor will put down blacks and say that blacks are responsible for the Aids crises, and put down Hispanic women by saying they are ruining the economy with having all of those "babies" and being on "welfare" and he talks about Native Americans being "Alcoholics" and talks about Asian men with their ponytails. But I never hear him putting down white people. It is a known fact that "more" Caucasians are on welfare then any other race. I used to work in a Welfare office and it is just amazing how many white people get food stamps. As for the Aids crises when Aids first came out it was believed to be a "gay white man's" disease. Then lo and behold it is now labeled a "black" problem. Socialogist have said over and over that more crimes against white people are by other white people. Such as rape. So there goes the myth that white women are being raped by black men. I have hardly ever seen an Asian man wear a ponytail like I always see white men wearing ponytails. All in all I think my college professor is Archie Bunker reincarnated. Believe it or not I went to him the other day to confront him and he threw me a looper. He told me that his ex-fiance was a Black girl. So am I being overly-sensitive about him or not? I would hate to cause this man to lose his job. Posters what do you think should I go to the Dean or not?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

What will it do for you for me to tell you I think he's a racist?

• Nina
    Nina

This is the sort of situation that separates the losers from the survivors in "real life". There are the people who get sidetracked and the people who recognize the jackass for what he is...and keep moving.

Do you think you are the first or only person to be offended by this guy? But he still has his position, doesn't he? Do you think you *really* know what you're up against?

Think twice...and make the decision that will benefit YOU. Then go out there and do better with your own life.

Nina

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I notice you're in California, and if I'm not mistaken universities in this state are supposedly legally required to ensure their faculty undergo sensitivity training...I recall last autumn this occurred in my university. I'm not sure what the situation is like at your institution, but your professor's comments do sound pretty ignorant and potentially offensive...I wonder if he has already gotten complaints. Like the others, I'm not sure if you should take action and how it would benefit you. If it is affecting your performance, I think you should definitely talk about it with an advisor at least. But also find out what the policy is at your university. I was sexually harrassed a number of years ago and the university is required to investigate if they learn of an accusation, so I couldn't even talk about it with an advisor because I did not emotionally want to keep this terrible experience in my mind, and this person was no longer at the university. So find out what the policies are, and talk it over with someone you trust if need be before making a decision. Maybe a short word with your professor may be all that is needed, but then again that may not be feasible due to his grading power.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

From what you've said so far, he sounds like he is prejudiced against some ethnic groups. But is he a genuine racist? He mentioned an ex-fiance who was "a black girl".

Would a genuine racist be involved in such a relationship? Maybe he's nursing a grudge to lick the wounds of love.

In any case, only you can decide when his comments are seriously impairing his job as college professor.

INQ

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Record his racist comments and sent them to the dean of the university, and then, let them know that you are ready to file a discrimination complaint if something isn't done about this guy. Just because he's dates a black girl doesn't mean he can't be racist. Remember that guy who got sodomized with the end of a plounger, the officer that did it had a "black girlfriend" too. My sister-in-laws are really racist even though they are married to my "black" brother-in-laws. They will call them a "N-word" in a heartbeat and talk about their race. I think they are kind of stupid being that their kids are black, and they will do this in front of the kids.

People like him can cause minority students to feel bad and discouraged. I wonder how many students dropped his class because of not being able to deal with his insults?

I remember when I was in college being told that black people will not live as long as white people; and in the next breath, being told how blacks were the cause of Social Security system getting into financial troubles. I asked how could this be since blacks didn't live long enough to collect it?

To answer your question: Yes, I think he's racist.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Three points

1. He wouldn't get away with those comments in a UK school, he would be suspended and then sacked.
    2. Having a black girlfriend doesn't mean hes not a racist. I know plenty of racists with black or Asian friends. Racism is about judging a racial group as a whole. "Racists" can still like individuals from those racial groups, wacky I know but it happens.
    3. Nice post about a racist teacher, or at least it was until it suddenly started to became racist in itself. Was there any real need for you to start laying into white people, did that section add anything to your post about a racist teacher? The fact that he judges people by their racial groups and that he negatively stereotypes was enough, you had us on your side then but then you started to do what he does with your "Whites do this and whites do that" argument. That makes you sound almost as bad as him and that's not good.
  • MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    In any case, only you can decide when his comments are seriously impairing his job as college professor.

I disagree. I feel that the college professor is "seriously impairing his job". The statement that you made is just like blaming a rape victim for turning in the rapist.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

The thing is it's hard to know when a man like this is being fair in his marking of pupils work. For all we know his attitudes could result in his being harsh in his grades towards the work of someone from a different racial group as his. That harshness *could* cost someone a qualification.

Personally I would go take it up with a friendly black teacher and ask for advice before making an official complaint.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    blacks are responsible for the Aids crises, and put down Hispanic women by saying they are ruining the economy with having all of those "babies" and being on "welfare" and he talks about Native Americans being "Alcoholics" and talks about Asian men with their ponytails

Some of the things you listed are iffy & could be attributed to purposefully stimulating a discussion, depending upon how they were said. For example, there have been studies (I can't speak to their validity) that say alcoholism is a big problem with Native Americans. Theories include biological factors making it more likely they will become addicted than other races. If he said it in that vein, there is nothing wrong with doing so. If he said it along the lines of, "All those {insert racial slur} are alcoholics...." then that is wrong.

People having lots of babies and staying on welfare are a hazard to our economy, and perhaps it is more socially acceptable to do so in some areas, but if he thinks it is only Hispanics or if the behavior is attributed to race, that is a problem. I cannot envision any scenario in which the blacks/AIDS statement would be appropriate or true.

I wouldn't involve any of the guy's coworkers. They have no power to act on your complaint and it causes gossip, embarassment, etc.--all problems if you intend to remain in the class and get a decent grade. (Not that retaliation is right, but it's a reality.) If you're going to take this issue to anyone besides the professor himself, the department chair is your best bet. Be sure to provide word for word quotes, not paraphrased stuff. The paraphrasing will be the department chair's "out". You may want to discreetly approach someone else in your class to see if he/she will go to the chair with you, to add more weight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit