Do you think that my college professor is a "racist"?

by booker-t 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Thanks. I'll check it out!

• MadTiger
    MadTiger
    Would a genuine racist be involved in such a relationship? Maybe he's nursing a grudge to lick the wounds of love.

Yes, it can, and does, happen.

I know of several people who dated out of their race, and thought they were doing the person "a favor."

• Forscher
    Forscher

Going up angainst a professor is at best very illconsidered at any time. Professors generally hold all the cards, like JW elders. I knew a fellow who took a course with a really misanthropic lesbian professor. Despite high grades on his exams, etc., his final grade was an F. He decided to take her on. She'd made the mistake of openly admitting in the presense of witnesses that it was her policy to fail males who took her classes. Even with that, the fight to get credit for the class was long, hard, and bitter with her fighting him every step of the way. I think he finally got credit for the course, but it made things difficult for him with other professors in that department as well. I avoided her classes like the plague!
    My best advise is to puut up with the man's comments, figure out what he wants to have repeated back to him on the exams, and stay away from his classes in the future if possible. Since your particular professor is picking on minorities with his comments he probably won't last in that job since most colleges won't put up with that sort of thing. If your college does an end of semester evaluation of the professors by the students, make your concerns known that way. Although the professors get to reaqd the comments their students make, they are supposed to be typed out when the professor sees them to protect your anonymity.
    Forscher

• dvw
    dvw

just being the devil's advocate. why is it wrong for an individual to be racist?

• LDH
    LDH

I didn't catch what class this bozo is instructing, but I have a couple of ideas.

If he is REALLY saying this stuff all the time, take a microcassette recorder and catch a few of these instances on tape. Based on what you said, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Transcribe, and log these details. When you have enough 'evidence,' go to him. Give him one opportunity to make an apology to the CLASS for his ignorance. IF he choses not to, you know what to do.

Audio tapes incriminating someone who is supposed to be partial are a lot more valuable than a "B" in a lame-ass class that will fade into history.

By the way, do you know what they call a college graduate with a 2.0 GPA? A college graduate.

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH

Oh ps, you said "geography."

Question him directly on his expertise or knowledge of these comments he pulls out of his ass.

Lisa

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

He is a racist by his own admission.

I hate racism and too many University Proffessors think their poop dont stink.

I have heard racists people say "I'm not a racist some of my best friends are black" then go on to elaborate with racist remarks.

My sons wear their pants halfway down their butts. The older one didn't pull them up till he got a job. The next one is soon to enter the job market so I'm thinking them pants will come up as the pay checks come in

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    In any case, only you can decide when his comments are seriously impairing his job as college professor.
    I disagree. I feel that the college professor is "seriously impairing his job". The statement that you made is just like blaming a rape victim for turning in the rapist.

Dear Ms Mcducket

I am merely making the point that only booker-t can decide if there is a genuine problem here and whether this problem must be addressed. We've heard the reasons to suspect the professor is racist. Only booker knows if there are any reasons NOT to think this man is racist.

I am not as eager as you to deliver a mandate to booker on what to do in this situation. It is unwise to rashly interpret my lack of conviction as a lack of nerve or even a serious case of "blaming the victim". Being a college-going JW, I know what it is like to be discriminated against. Yet I do not rush to inflict unfair accusations against people, esp when they have reasons other than prejudice, affecting their behaviour. I prefer to give people the benefit of doubt before making conclusions about their character.

Regards
    Trying-to-be-cautious-INQ

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Trying-to-be-cautious-INQ

I understand where you're coming from. When I was in college, I experienced racism from the instructors. Yes, they will give you an unfair grade whether you report them or not. I remember as child, after integration started, the teacher telling me to leave the class because "I didn't belong there" (Old bitch!). I remember another instructor telling me that I could never make in college. Maybe he knew what I'd be up against. Anyway, I bristle when I hear about others going through this. Someone has to get these knuckleheads out of the education system. We don't need to be discouraged by the teachers. We're supposed to be encouraged by them and educated by them; not mistreated. I'm sure that you wouldn't want your child in a class where the teacher continually put him down. Then to be afraid to tell you about it because the teacher would give him a bad grade and possibly black listed among the other teachers!

Just imagine how you would feel!

• SomeGeek
    SomeGeek

reading some of the replies, I tried real hard not to lash out against those who think that under any circumstance those comments are acceptable. but short answer, yes, yes he is a racist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit