What age group has to sacrifice the most to be a JW?

by JH 22 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

What age group has it easier or harder to be a JW?

• KW13
    KW13

its hard to say but i like the question!

- Younger kids. Some weird and wonderful memories, wondering why mum/dad do things and then trusting them

- Teenagers. Told Masurbation is wrong, don't get a chance to try proper dating.

- Adult - Single parents, managing on low wages or family that put their problems last. Marriages women or even men want to get out of but are scared cos they don't wanna get disfellowshipped or reproved.

• JH
    JH

Good points KW13

And how about the old people who have to go to their meetings although they have aches and pains, and I don't think it's normal for people over 70 to go to 5 meetings a week....

• KW13
    KW13

oh yeh, they battle it out in all weather. Some of them cold but still leave their homes and then spend late out. Studying at home a lot when they could be enjoying grandchildren and/or family.

• Woofer
    Woofer

I think teenagers and pre-teens. Those years were really hard on me. You want to be accepted by your friends at school and you want to be cool but thats hard to do when they see you going door to door and you know you cannot celebrate holidays.

My son is 13 and when he is with me he is a normal kid. He has friends, he is allowed to talk on the phone to kids at school. He can celebrate his birthday and have Christmas with me. I wish I had a choice when I was his age.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Kids, you only get one childhood and its over so quickly. Dub kids never really get a chance to be real kids. Their childhood is given up to the WTBTS and they are never really given a choice in the matter. Teenagers, adults, they can always walk away, Kids can't.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Definitely the school age kids and teens.

It's embarrassing to go in field service, it's uncomfortable to dress up for meetings. It's boring to sit through meetings when you don't understand what's going on. Then there are the beatings when you don't behave. You miss out on things that the kids at school talk about doing. You may not fit in at school. Depending on your family situation, you may not be accepted at the KH. The teen years are hard anyway, without adding all these things to the mix.

• luna2
    luna2

I'd say the young too.

I'm annoyed (now that I'm out) because I gave up the remainder of my youth to this shit, but it wasn't exactly hard on me. My parents and other relatives didn't ostracize me or even give me too hard a time about my choices. My ex made fun of me, and still would do if we talked at all, but I guess I deserve his scorn. I certainly didn't have to face challenges in school everyday like my sons did. It sickens me to think of what I put them through with my stupidity.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I think school aged kids. They have to sacrifice friends, social events, school events. Lots of things. And they are always the wierd kids in school due to not saluting the flag and also not doing holidays. I am so thankful that I got out while my kids still had time left to adjust. And kids seem to adjust pretty rapidly. We have been out about two years and my kids are now 11, 13.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I agree it is the young people. They give up their lives in order to please either their parents or the elders in the hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit