Dan Sydlik dies, the last of the moderating forces.

by SadElder 126 Replies latest jw friends

• Makena1
    Makena1

I have some good memories of Dan Sydlik. He was a very good friend to my aunt and uncle Stan (also of Polish heritage). Sydlik gave a talk about the JW work in Poland that I heard as a kid - great, heartfelt delivery, and kept my attention. Regarding his wife - I seem to recall someone posted a story on this board about going to Bethel on a temp assignment to help modernize the art/photography/printing dept. I could be wrong, but he mentioned that one of the persons in the department was a prima donna with an extremely condescending attitude - and knew she could get away with it because she was married to one of the GB. Anyone recall this? Best to all, Makena

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Here is a kick ass talk from Danny boy. One of the best! The last parragraph sums it up.

in memory of a cool dub wherever he maybe

January 26, 1998

Notes from Lecture:

Appreciating the Undeserved

Kindness of God-

page 1 of 2

Daniel Sydlik

We are dedicated to Jehovah. Let us reflect on our blessings. There is no God like Jehovah God, and we are grateful to be his fellow workers. It is a gift to be loved by God undeservingly. From Him we learn lessons in life.

First, we learn the lesson of love, the greatest force for good. To be loved by God is the greatest happiness in life. We recall from our songbook, Song #35, Love

’ s Excelling Way . "God is love, and therefore bids us walk in love ’ s excelling way, letting love of God and neighbor prompt all things we do and say." John 3:16, Jehovah gave his only son. He opened the way for everlasting life. This is undeserved. No one appreciated life more than Jesus, yet he gave his life that we might live. Giving is God ’ s way, the Christian way. 1 John 2:10 shows us the art of giving, "He that loves his brother remains in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in his case." We are under obligation to surrender our soul for our brothers. Give of ourselves and be self-sacrificing. When we do, we begin to know what the love of God means. It is God ’ s way and should be our way too.

Paul was self-sufficient and had strength in God

’ s power. Philippians 4:13, "For all things I have the strength by virtue of him who imparts power to me." How did Paul learn this lesson? He learned by recognizing who he was, and by the undeserved kindness he was shown. 1 Corinthians 15:9-11, "For I am the least of the apostles, and I am not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the congregation of God. But by God's undeserved kindness I am what I am. And his undeserved kindness that was toward me did not prove to be in vain, but I labored in excess of them all, yet not I but the undeserved kindness of God that is with me. However, whether it is I or they, so we are preaching and so you have believed." To show appreciation to Jehovah, Paul labored, knowing he owed it all to God ’ s excelling love.

We, too, are brought face-to-face with the truth that we are what we are by undeserved kindness. Can we see God

’ s work alive in our lives? Can we say, "I am what I am because of God ’ s spirit at work in me?" People today want recognition, and to feel personally accomplished. Who gives credit to God? A much-needed lesson is to be learned here. We are what we are and have accomplished only because of the undeserved kindness of God. All must confess glory to Jehovah. We are not self-achievers. This should make us humble and meek. We are all in the same boat. We are here because of undeserved kindness. God loves us as we are, and that is beautiful.

Many are tired, depressed and feel worthless. It is as if we feel God was standing over us with a whip and demanding every last ounce of strength from us. Is He really so demanding? We come to Jehovah in faith through Christ and are assured Jehovah is satisfied with our sacrifice. This should make us happy and relieved of stresses. People are depressed because of lack of faith in Jesus

’ sacrifice. When we are loved and we know it, we are happy. 1 Corinthians 1:24, "Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God." We are fellow workers. All are recipients of undeserved kindness. We must be given room to grow, to think on our own, to make mistakes and still be ourselves. We tolerate our brothers' weaknesses, but not willful wickedness. Are we willing to let others live that way? This is undeserved kindness at work. Listen to Jesus, "Come to me, I will refresh."

We learn an ancient lesson from the days of the kings of Israel. It was a harsh time. At 2 Samuel 4:4, we see Saul and his son, Jonathan, died. The usual course for kings was to exterminate previous dynasties. We see a scene of panic. Running to flee, his nurse drops him, and with that, Jonathan

’ s young son, Mephibosheth is crippled in both feet. Fifteen years later we see that David was prospering. He had won the people ’ s hearts and wanted to show love to the house of Saul, and his friend Jonathan. He did not ask, "Who is deserving?" or, who would make David look good, but "Is there anyone?" 2 Samuel 9:3,4, "The king went on to say: "Is there nobody of the house of Saul anymore, that I may exercise toward him the loving-kindness of God?" At this Ziba said to the king: "There is yet a son of Jonathan, lame in the feet." Then the king said to him: "Where is he?" So Ziba said to the king: "Look! He is in the house of Machir the son of Ammiel at Lodebar."

What was Lodebar? It was a wasteland, a slum, a ghetto. Ziba asked, in effect, "You don

’ t really want such a man, do you?" What was David ’ s response? "Immediately King David sent and took him from the house of Machir the son of Ammiel at Lodebar." David reassured Mephibosheth, "Do not be afraid, for without fail I shall exercise loving-kindness toward you for the sake of Jon'a·than your father; and I must return to you all the field of Saul your grandfather, and you yourself will eat bread at my table constantly." What does this teach us? Can we be kind, even to the undeserving?

Mephibosheth couldn

’ t understand such kindness. Neither can we understand Jehovah ’ s undeserved kindness to us. David showed such kindness to one man. Jehovah has done this for all of mankind. This is an inspired story. Here is a man of no consequence, a cripple, without personal appeal, and David stoops to help. Can we be loving and show such undeserved kindness to others? Is love at work in us? Picture this unconditional love. It is dinnertime in the King ’ s house. One by one, the beautiful, the handsome children of David enter. The powerful, strong military men are also seated at the table. At last, we hear the clump-clump of crutches, and Mephibosheth comes dragging himself in. He hides his crippled feet under the tablecloth. Does he understand the warm glow of undeserved kindness? You know he does.

Before the accident, as a child, he enjoyed being with his father, in good health. Adam and Eve too enjoyed perfect health with their Father before disaster struck. They fell, and were crippled with sin, both them and their offspring. We were all destitute, in Lodebar. David sought out anyone in Saul

’ s house. In like manner, Jehovah searches to show loving kindness to anyone. Mephibosheth didn ’ t seek the King ’ s favor. Nor did we, but humbly accepted the ransom when given. The King gave Mephibosheth honor in his house. Jehovah rescued us, too, to a place of spiritual nourishment to himself and his son, in a loving organization. He has provided nourishment and blessings. The anointed sons limp, but receive undeserved kindness in their imperfect state. Romans 5:20,21, "Now the Law came in beside in order that trespassing might abound. But where sin abounded, undeserved kindness abounded still more. To what end? That, just as sin ruled as king with death, likewise also undeserved kindness might rule as king through righteousness with everlasting life in view through Jesus Christ our Lord." When Mephibosheth was at the table, he was treated as a son, as Solomon. When we feast at Jehovah ’ s table, we are accepted as sons and daughters through Jesus.

Can you see with eyes of faith the anointed 144,000 with Jesus in heaven? No emphasis is on rank or title. No one asks, "Who were you on earth? Were you an apostle? A District Overseer? A Circuit Overseer? A Pioneer?" We are all cripples. Singing God

’ s praises, the tablecloth of Jehovah ’ s undeserved kindness covers over our handicaps and imperfection. We cry out, "Salvation we owe to God!" May we imitate our God by showing undeserved kindness every day. To the extent we show love, may the God of love bless each of you.
  • Scully
    Scully

I'm sad to hear this. I met him a couple of times and he seemed very down to earth and approachable.

Sounds like tough times ahead for the R&F though, the iron grip will close ever tighter around their throats.

• sf
    sf

Boo f______ hoo. How many innocent kids are dead that he could have saved by not going along with insane lethal policies of the organization he contracted with. May he not rest, in pieces.

As far as I'm concerned, he is one less obstacle in the war on terror.

sKally

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    All it takes is some Imagination and a little effort.

Eduardo,

I agree that reform toward leniency is possible, but believe that it is extremely unlikely. What you refer to as imagination (in this context) has been described by the Watchtower as "independent thinking" and is labeled demonic. A "little effort" to bring "independent thinking" into reality can have swift and enduring consequences to the Governing Body member brave enough to press the point.

Especially if the deck has been intentionally stacked against such an attempt.

I don't intend to belabor the point. I have clear evidence (as recently as December 2005 KM and May 2006 Watchtower) that current policy is pressing forward strongly with no indication of major shifting away from totalitarianism—but to the contrary, a tightening of the grip of oligarchical control is evident. I would ask for your basis of any hope for lenient reform.

History has many examples of organizations that became more and more tolerant and survived. History also has many examples of organizations that became less and less tolerant and eventually crushed themselves out of existence. Does not the former typically occur only in organizations where there is some outside input regarding who fills vacant positions? Does not the latter typically follow a hand-picked, unaccounted for filling of vacancies in an "input vaccuum" devoid of outside perspective? Why do you believe the former will occur in this case? What markers are you looking at to give you that hope?

I am not arguing about it, I just haven't seen any of the posters who hope for reform explain why they have that hope—including you. If your last post was an explanation of your reason for hope, I can only surmise that your reason for hope is that there is a possibility (however unlikely) of an uprising against current dogma from within. If that is the case, fine. I just hope you have a better reason for looking to that remote possibility for a transformation.

I know "better reason" is entirely subjective, but in my opinion the weight of history is whence the probabilities for future eventuality should be drawn. I do not see a tendency to "learn from mistakes" as descriptive of this organization's culture, therefore I expect they will repeat their mistakes until they no longer exist. Organizational cultures do not change quickly, no matter what the dogma allows for.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

About a year after Sydlik gave that 'fine' talk...he was complisant in the death of my Mother.

This was due to the asinine, confusing blood issue that he and every other GB member had signed off on and supported. He claimed "Special Knowledge" from God - my Mom believed him. She died for that belief that this man said was "God's" word.

I'll bet he never was informed that one of his 'sheep' died, because, of his words. She had a name.

So...please excuse me when I don't join in any accolades of 'what a nice guy he was'...he was a murderer with no conscience.

Just like the rest of them. Good riddance.

Rabbit

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    How many innocent kids are dead that he could have saved by not going along with insane lethal policies of the organization he contracted with.

Not a single one. He would be spoken of in hushed tones by JWs (if ever spoken of at all) and would have died a pariah. Depending on how early he figured it out and acted to separate himself, you might never know his name and he would have had no moderating effect on the GB at all.

I personally wish there was no one on the GB to mitigate the harm they would do. Not because I like to see people suffer, but because sometimes the prospect of intense suffering is the only thing that will make people choose another course. I would not wish the harm on any of them, I wish they would see the harm coming and remove themselves from the path of harm.

Man dominates man and injures his fellow in the doing. Men are not to be trusted, especially those who elevate themselves.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    This was due to the asinine, confusing blood issue that he and every other GB member had signed off on and supported. He claimed "Special Knowledge" from God - my Mom believed him. She died for that belief that this man said was "God's" word.

I understand why this is so emotionally charged for you, but are you sure about this? Are you sure that he was part of the 2/3 that voted in favor of this policy? Claiming "Special Knowledge" from God sounds very much opposite to his nature.

Unless your Mom had a talk with him that you haven't disclosed, your Mom chose based on the Governing Body's policy. Such a policy does not require unanimous support. Such policies are much more likely to pass now that Dan Sydlik has died.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    I understand why this is so emotionally charged for you, but are you sure about this? Are you sure that he was part of the 2/3 that voted in favor of this policy? Claiming "Special Knowledge" from God sounds very much opposite to his nature.

Unless your Mom had a talk with him that you haven't disclosed, your Mom chose based on the Governing Body's policy

Yes. I am sure. He was one of the Captains of the Watchtower ship -- he is equally responsible for my Mom's death.

He did nothing to stop her death or the thousand of others.

He had a choice, just like Ray Franz, he could have quit if he had a true lamenting human conscience.

Like Ray, he could have written an expose' of 'how' things are done at in the GB.

He could have educated us all by telling us 'who' voted 'for & against' what issue.

He could have recorded conversations and taken notes -- all to help JW's see the real truth.

HE DID NONE OF THAT DID HE ?

"Special Knowledge" ? How's about claiming to be (and accepting an appointment) a fully pledged member of a small group of men who think they are the 'one and only conduit' for knowledge & Holy Spirit on this earth ???

My Mom didn't have to talk to him, she took him at his word...his accepting his 'anointment' to that lofty body. You know as well as I do 'good witnesses' don't question such things. You also know most JW's have no idea the GB votes on stuff -- and come to different conclusions. Most believe the GB are always on the 'same page', after all, are some GB's less conductive to God's Spirit than others ? Naw...that could never happen.

Pah !

Rabbit

• No Apologies
    No Apologies
    He had a choice, just like Ray Franz, he could have quit if he had a true lamenting human conscience.

Ok, I'm not sure that's a fair comparision, and Ray did not 'quit', he was forced out and then DFd.

We all make choices, and we are all responsible for our decisions. Its very easy to condemn the leaders of the Borg for their deceptive practices, and rightly so. But we all at one point or another decided to live by their crazy rules. I have yet to see someone forcibly immersed at a JW baptism.

No Apologies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit