WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE NOW?

by bubble 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

One of the great disservice the WTBTS does to it's followers is to suggest that mere humans are not able to judge right or wrong on their own. We are to tuck our magnificent brains in to a breadbox and follow, lock-step, the latest literature from the WTBTS. Why would God create BRAINS if they weren't meant to be USED?

I think the best course is to learn to think and evaluate on your own. When presented with a new idea, how do you decide if it is worthy of incorporating in to your life? Learn those skills, and you are set.

Then you won't be asking what you are "supposed" to believe, but be able to plainly say, "I believe....".

• bubble
    bubble

Hi again Daystar. You say that god may have caused things to be written in the Bible that are so complicated they may not be seen as things that are common sense then we may ignore them.

I can't imagine that a loving god would give us a book then make it too difficult to understand (in places). This then brings me round full circle to my original quandry.

Perhaps beliefs should just be picked and chosen according to what one understands and what is right for them.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Dear Bubble,

Ponder on Terry's post as it gets to the root of it, and may help you see that the frame of mind that is asking your lead question will only take you deeper into illusion and discontent.

The reason you're in a quandary is you are missing the actual reality of life; which propagates a sense of brokenness and incompleteness. Perhaps it's time to figure out that the significant reality you seek, is not found in mental concepts and beliefs; but is infinitely more present and alive than that.

j

• garybuss
    garybuss

Don't go for truth, go for the facts.

• neverin
    neverin

I may well be shot down for this but here goes.......I believe that following any organised religion is selfish really - why do it? You may say that it makes you a better person but does it really? It's all about the carrot and stick approach - reward = heaven, ever lasting life, reincarnation etc vs punishment = hell, pergatory, etc. So called christian values, do unto others, etc exist in all religions and to be honest they are just the values we all need to get along together. So why do people need the extrinsic motivation of some 'higher being' monitoring their actions to be 'good people'? Why not just do your best because it's the right thing to do - not just to collect brownie points for the 'after life'.

I don't beleive that I am any better or worse than the next person but I try to do my best by folk and dont beleive that there is anything after this life - I didn't exist before I was born and I wont exist after I die - I beleive that it is only my DNA that will carry on through my kids. My own conscience tells me if I'm on the right path or not.

just my two penn'oth.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi bubbles

We have to believe in something.

Elsewhere beat me to it! Start by believing in yourself - the rest will follow.

Enjoy the journey

• jojochan
    jojochan
    You are supposed to believe what the available evidence compels you to believe, whether you wish to or not. Anything else is a betrayal of the intellect.

Exactly. What you have also is alot of good responses her for you to check out. Foe me; I felt that way as well. And many times STILL feel that way.

What I had to do is start at step one:"Me, Myself and I". what IS it that I believe? Then I carry it on from there. It's not as easy as it sounds, but it is a start.

Good luck on your journey.

jojochan.

• nsrn
    nsrn

Here is my 2 cents' worth: I didn't need any religion for several years after I left. But after I had a child, I started looking for some support and guidance--I knew that the morals I had been taught had kept me safe and out of trouble, but how do you teach a child that without all that other witness baggage? So I was looking around, and hit on an Oprah show with an ex-witness guest, who recommended getting a nice neutral Bible, like NIV or Standard, and reading just the book of John. Just that. And then think about that a while. And I had some non-threatening, sincere Christian friends who had a peace that I didn't have...followed them to church....

I totally understand the folks here who say they don't need any organized religion. I personally can't identify with the athiests, but I respect that that's where they are right now. We are all changing and reassessing our beliefs, even more than 'normal' people, since we are so leary of being misled.

Anyway, I know God see in our hearts, and understands our confusion.

Just give yourself time. If you feel comfortable praying, you could ask God for a little guidance.

(of the now aging gracefully in a Methodist pew class)

• Carmel
    Carmel

"What "oppression" is greater than that which hath been recounted? What "oppression" is more grievous than that a soul seeking the truth, and wishing to attain unto the knowledge of God, should know not where to go for it and from whom to seek it? For opinions have sorely differed, and the ways unto the attainment of God have multiplied. This "oppression" is the essential feature of every Revelation. Unless it cometh to pass, the Sun of Truth will not be made manifest. For the break of the morn of divine guidance must needs follow the darkness of the night of error. For this reason, in all chronicles and traditions reference hath been made unto these things, namely that iniquity shall cover the surface of the earth and darkness shall envelop mankind. As the traditions referred to are well known, and as the purpose of this servant is to be brief, He will refrain from quoting the text of these traditions.

Were this "oppression" (which literally meaneth pressure) to be interpreted that the earth is to become contracted, or were men's idle fancy to conceive similar calamities to befall mankind, it is clear and manifest that no such happenings can ever come to pass. They will assuredly protest that this pre-requisite of divine revelation hath not been made manifest. Such hath been and still is their contention. Whereas, by "oppression" is meant the want of capacity to acquire spiritual knowledge and apprehend the Word of God. By it is meant that when the Day-star of Truth hath set, and the mirrors that reflect His light have departed, mankind will become afflicted with "oppression" and hardship, knowing not whither to turn for guidance. Thus We instruct thee in the interpretation of the traditions, and reveal unto thee the mysteries of divine wisdom, that haply thou mayest comprehend the meaning thereof, and be of them that have quaffed the cup of divine knowledge and understanding.

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 31)

• fairchild
    fairchild
    And that's all I know. I feel like I'm in a spiritual no-man's-land.

If it's any consolation, you are by no means alone in the spiritual no man's land. Many are walking there with you..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit