WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE NOW?

by bubble 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

bubble, you are not alone. Spiritual no-man's-land is definitely how I've described how I feel too. I've felt like I was in a social no-man's-land while I was disfellowshipped as well. People here are really helpful, informative, and caring. I feel so disillusioned by religion right now as a result of turning my whole world upside down: to question the Jehovah's Witnesses is to question everything I thought to be true for the last 24 years.

I recommend you read a book called 10 Steps to Emotional Recovery After Being a Jehovah's Witness by Beth S. You can get it on lulu.com. It has helped me so much.

Stick to JWD and learn from people's experiences here. Go to different church services, but only when you are ready, and if you want to. Don't feel obligated to go. Don't push yourself to find "the truth" but go at a pace that's comfortable for you. We are trained to know all the answers our whole lives, so when we realize it's bunk, we have this void suddenly and think we need to rush out and find all the answers to fill that void. Nobody has all of the answers.

Hopefully this is helpful and encouraging information.

GG/BG

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I know where you're coming from. One minute I believe in the Bible and call myself a Christian, and the next minute I feel like I'm Agnostic, not sure of what to believe. I feel like I'm in limbo land sometimes, but I feel like I don't care anymore and just take life one day at a time.

• daystar
    daystar
    We have to believe in something. If we didn't why are there so many religions?

That is faulty logic. There are many who do not believe in any god at all. That the majority do believe is not proof. A majority of the earth at one time also believed it flat. Didn't make it true.

• daystar
    daystar

bubble, I feel I should expand a bit. I'm not saying that you should not believe in anything. But it is most beneficial to start with a clean sheet of paper and research yourself, with no preconceptions.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

bubble:

What I want to know is, what am I supposed to believe now?

You are supposed to believe what the available evidence compels you to believe, whether you wish to or not. Anything else is a betrayal of the intellect.

• KW13
    KW13
    In reply to KW, how long did it take you to go to the CofE and did it feel weird?

Firstly i want to say something on behalf of all the none believers. They live without a religion. Its just a choice i made to carry on believing in God. I'm not gonna say which is right for ya, but i suggest you even try both ways. Make sure your happy with whatever decision.

As you know the JW's drill into your head that Churches are evil e.t.c and that they are empty and go on about it so much. My first time in a church i was nervous, shaking, i felt sick before going. I worried about what it would mean if JW's had it right and i went to a church.

i sat down and listened to the sermon, nervous still. i dunno how to describe how i felt but literally like i was hovering in the air. i'd been suffering from depression badly but somehow for the whole week i just felt amazing. for a while my conscience was getting me but in my mind i knew that i could get over that, and i did!

• kid-A
    kid-A

You dont need to "believe" anything. As a wise man once said, the unexamined life is not worth living.

Question everything, until you find answers that satisfy you, knowing that someday, you may need to re-evaluate even those answers in light of new evidence.

• anewme
    anewme

My dear Miss Bubble, why not begin by looking at your own precious avatar! Nature will lead you to the next step in your healing.

It will tell you to first off, stop worrying, that the answers are deep and mysterious and most of them are past all knowing from a human perspective. It will hint that God is way more than you thought.

It will give you peace, because you will realize you are a part of the grand theater of life.
    And God is still your god. You can never change that nor escape your real and loving creator. He is still available to you in prayer as always. He has never left you.
    You will come to realize your "loose conduct" was just human conduct.

Now I suggest you put on your walking shoes and sweater and go for a lovely walk in the quiet of nature and listen and soak up the evidence of God's love all around you.

peace,

Anewme

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

What I want to know is, what am I supposed to believe now?

With your newly attained freedom of mind, you can believe whatever you wish. Yor are not "supposed" to believe anything. It is quite common for people to try and fill the void left. Especialy those freeing themselves from a high control cult like the Jehovah's Witnesses. If you want my advise, take your time. The planet is full of the most amzing things and experiences. Both spiritual and tactile. Enjoy the freedom of your mind and spirit. And, whatever you are looking for will eventually come.

steve

• bubble
    bubble

Hi Daystar. I think what I meant was that people have an inbuilt instinct to believe in something higher and more powerful. Not necessarily needing organised religion for that.

Some days I'm in no doubt there is a god and the next I think there definitely can't be.

If he is there, what does he want from me?

Or is he happy for me to just be a good person. I know I don't need religion for that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit