Math Problem

by Scully 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• slacker911
    slacker911

La Capra,

You are right, and I didnt state that well, and I realized on my hour long drive to work that someone was going to call me on it. And you dont need to justify correcting me! If I was wrong, I was wrong! :)

In my own defense though I will say it is one of those instances, which hopefully I am not alone in having, where I knew what I meant and chose my words poorly!

• trevor
    trevor

We are confused because we accept that the shop keeper kept only $2. The shop keeper actually keeps $3. There is no complicated maths required.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I'm sure the correct answer is already here

• VM44
    VM44

"The shop keeper actually keeps $3"

How do you figure that? It is stated that he gives the $3 back to the 3 students.

--VM44

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

Aww come on, I'm not in the mood to do that right now.

blessedstar

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Maybe the extra dollar went into the contribution box.

Rub a Dub

• trevor
    trevor

Yeah VM44 - You are right. I completely screwed up there.

The answer is that the $2 comes out of the $27 that is left. It is not added on in an attempt to reach $30.

I should stick to what I am good at!

• rassillon
    rassillon

So the kids each paid $9 for the frame, which gives a total of $27. The shopkeeper has $2, for a total of $29.

($9x3=$27, $27+$2=$29)

-------------

The $2 is already a part of the $27 which was paid to the shopkeeper --------- You must add the $3 given back to the kids.

27+3=30

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I haven't looked at the other posts to this thread, but I am having a f'n crisis over this!!!!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

ok, i think i may have it now, crisis averted

when it says in the scenario adding up to $29 that they each paid $27, yes that is true. The $27 plus the $3 they got back adds to $30. The shopkeeper takes $2 from the $27 and puts $25 in the till.

The $1 goes missing due to faulty wording because the wording is such that the $2 the shopkeeper keeps is taken from the $3 he returned to the kids, not the $2 overpay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit