Trying to find cross v. stake topics

by Sad emo 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

There is a short article in the latest Awake I received (I think Apr 15). The title I think was Did Jesus Really Die on a Cross.

I just skimmed over it the other day - let me know if you want a scanned copy of it.

BB

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Thanks Bumble Bee - I just got that copy of Awake on Sunday and hadn't checked what is in it yet!

• no one
    no one

Emo,

Best wishes with your research.

After Leolaia posted her article, I got to thinking (Thanks Leo. Your topics always force me into research and thinking harder about a subject.) about how I could possibly approach JWs in a logical manner concerning the cross vs.stake issue. So - I tried imagining myself as a Roman executioner in charge of the duties of crucifixion and all that it would entail.

Let's assume for a sec that Christ was to be executed on a stake. And that he is about 6 feet tall. With his hands above his head and his legs stretched out so that he is nailed through the top of his feet, he should be nearly 8 feet long. If he was nailed through the heel (with legs wrapped around the side of the pole) and the legs were bent, maybe a foot or so shorter.

There was an earthquake at his death severe enough that it tore the temple curtain and threw bodies out of their graves, but the 'stake' with the weight of Christ up in the air did not topple. So - the stake should be at least 3, if not 4 feet in the ground for stability.

Next, people were able to observe the crucifixion from afar and the Roman who tried to give him something to drink had to do so with a reed. So - he was up in the air possibly 3 or 4 feet off the ground.

There was a sign posted, not only above his head, but (as per JW lore) also above his upstretched hands; adding more length to this pole.

And to my knowledge, there were no kilns for drying wood in those days to make it lighter by moisture removal (Warning. They may have been drying their wood. I've just never read anything on it.) The most populous tree in the region was pine.

So - how much does a non-kiln-dried pine post of approximately 6 inches in diameter and about 15 to 16 feet (3' in the ground, 3' to Christ's feet, 7-8' for his body length, 1' for a sign above him) long weigh? Call your local lumberyard.

And after it's all over, someone has to pull this pole up out of a hole and transport not only it, but all poles from the days' executions back to the storage area for the next batch of convicted to carry them.

I often thought about this dirt fill-in when the WT described in the "Greatest Man' book how Christ was hoisted, pole and all and dropped into the hole. I can't see how this could be done without pushing dirt into the hole when you pushed the pole to the edge of the hole to be dropped in. Perhaps they hoisted the pole by some sort of crane device to avoid this problem, but that would mean more equipment for something that shouldn't take a lot of men and effort to accomplish. I suppose the same could be said of a crew needing a ladder and pulley system to hoist a man nailed to the crossbeam up into the air and having to climb back up to get him down. However, I found that easier than trying to lift a man, pole and all out of the ground together or else climbing a ladder to pull nails out of a victim and then using some sort of pulley system to lower him to the ground.

It just always seemed very inefficient to me. You pull a post up out the ground and dirt is sure to fall in on it. Do it enough times (and the Romans were busy, busy when it came to crucifixion) and your're going to have to redig your hole eventually to regain your lost depth. I believe I'd have been making a suggestion to my superior about an easier, more effecient way that accomplishes the same goal.

Always seemed simpler, lighter, and more effecient to carry the crossbeam rather the the whole 4 yards.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

This is one of those topics that there is no definite answer to. And yet, many of us JWs beat the thing to death.

Sort of like arguing whether the prophesy of the "Wheel within a wheel" was aluminum or alloy.

Rub a Dub

• Triumph
    Triumph

Will this topic ever be resolved? It seems to me that a cross is formed by attaching a crossbeam to a stake; the result is crucifixion. That would be the case whether the convicted is tied/nailed to the crossbeam before it is affixed to the stake or after. One of many good links on the topic is http://www.religiousstudies.uncc.edu/jdtabor/crucifixion.html

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Welcome to the board Triumph

Thanks for the link, I've just read it and it is very interesting.

I don't understand how this article confirms your acceptance of the 'traditional' crucifixion method though (ie crossbeam) as it also outlines the 'stake' method.

Fascinating that each method would bring about a different cause of death too.

• Sheri
    Sheri

Bumble Bee:

The book that was quoted by Parsons is online at gutenberg.org, not very long but interesting read. Basically he said it can not be proved one way or the other if Christ was impaled on stake or cross. Then goes on with history of the cross and other interesting opinions that do not match JW beliefs.

Peace,

Sheri

• GoingGoingGone
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

http://www.catholicapologetics.net/jw_cross.htm Jehovah's Witnesses use of Crosses

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus Christ was tortured on a stake as opposed to "Christendom's" belief that Jesus Christ was crucified upon a cross.

"After Jesus had been passed from one to another, the Roman governor Pontius Pilate, on the insistence of the religiously inspired mob, took the line of least resistance and sentenced Jesus to death. As a consequence, Jesus died in disgrace on a stake, and his body was placed in a tomb." ("Mankind's Search for God", page 254)

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society goes to great pains throughout many of it's publications, to show the diligent bible student that it's translation to torture stake is the correct one. The Watchtower (Feb. 1 1968) Says:

"True Christians NEVER REVERED THE CROSS OR REGARDED IT AS A SYMBOL OF TRUE CHRISTIANITY. Many persons contend that the cross is used by the churches because Christ died on one. That is what the churches say, BUT IT IS NOT THE TRUTH." (emphasize mine)

The Witnesses will argue that the cross is a "Pagan symbol", they will say that possessing honoring and wearing crosses are acts of "idolatry" The Watchtower (Aug. 15, 1987 pg. 23-24) says:

"Bear in mind, how the cross has been used down through history as a object of pagan worship and of superstitious awe, could wearing a cross, even as a ornament, be harmonized with the admonition of the apostle Paul at 1 Corinthians 10:14 ‘Therefore, my beloved ones, flee from idolatry’?"

Has the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society always held that Jesus Christ was tortured on a stake? Apparently not!! We know for a fact that for at least fifty-seven years [from 1872 up to 1929] the Jehovah’s Witnesses revered the cross in there publications and regarded it as a symbol of true Christianity. We also know that the Bible the Witnesses printed and used for the first 78 years since Russell founded the Cult, promoted the belief in Christ’s death on a cross. The following is broken in to two sections:

Images of the Cross Found in Used by Watchtower Society:

The Term "Cross" Found in the Pre_1950 Watchtower Printings of the Bible:

IMAGES OF THE CROSS FOUND IN USED BY WATCHTOWER SOCIETY:

Charles Taze Russell's [the original founder of the Jehovah's Witness] gravesite and the monument known as the "Watchtower pyramid" at the:

United Cemeteries
    226 Cemetery Ln.
    Pittsburgh, PA 15237-2722
    Tel (412) 931-1017

The "Cross and Crown" emblem Was a favorite of Russell, it appeared on many early Watchtower publications.

Watchtower's pyramid memorial, with cross and crown emblem and capstone. Note Russell's headstone in background.Close-up of pyramid with cross and crown emblem.Cross and crown emblem is on all four sides.

TO THE RIGHT is a scan the cover of the October 1 1907 issue of "Zions Watch Tower". Next to it is the April 1, 1930 issue of the "Watch Tower". In the right hand corner of both of these issues is the cross and crown symbol . If you look at the windows of the tower itself you will see that they are also in the form of a Cross. This scan is close up and in a 8x10 size, it is perfect for printing.

"Nor can the rewards of present temporal prosperity in worldly things be expected by those who are running for the prize of this high calling to glory. honor, immortality as kings and priests unto God; for the way to the crown is the way of the cross" ("Zions Watch Tower" April 15, 1907 p. 302)

Beginning with its issue of October 15, 1931, The Watchtower no longer bore the cross and crown symbol on its cover. Between January 1, 1891 and October 15, 1931 (40 years) every issue of the "Watch Tower", had the cross and crown symbol in the right hand upper corner, this amounts to over 960 issues.

In the early days of the society, they frequently took out full page advertisements in secular newspapers, often printing articles written by "Pastor Russell". To the right are two 1907 editions of the "National Labor Tribune", note the Watchtower cross and crown symbol and the picture of Charles Taze Russell.

1907 editions of the "National Labor Tribune"

1907-1911

To the right are the covers from the 1907 and 1911, Watchtower convention souvenir booklets. Both covers have the Watchtower cross and crown symbol prominently displayed. Both of these items are part of the authors personal collection. These scans are in a 8x10 size, it is perfect for printing.

1907 Convention cover1911 Convention cover

Here is an original Jehovah's Witness Christmas card dated December 1910. These old Witness Christmas cards are very very hard to find. This particular card was not printed by Watchtower society, but by a privet individual. It was common back then for Witnesses to print their own stationary items and cards using the Watchtower Cross and crown. This card measures approximately 3 inches by 6 inches. This scan is close up and in it's actual size, it is perfect for printing

Above is a scan of a 1910 Jehovah's Witnesses Christmas card, it is part of the authors personal collection. note the Cross and crown in the center.

Here is an original RARE Cross and Crown Postcard dated January 3, 1911. These postcards are very hard to find. It has a personal message on the back from one Bible Student (as Jehovah's Witnesses were known back then) to another. The card was not printed by Watchtower but by someone named A. H. Moore in Columbus Ohio. It was common back then for Witnesses to print their own stationary items using the Watchtower Cross and crown.

1911 PostcardClose up of the Cross and crown

Here is a scan of the cover of a RARE and beautiful color Watchtower, it is dated April 15, 1912. This Watchtower was a special report on the Foreign Mission.

This scan is in a 8x10 size, it is perfect for printing.

1912 ReportClose up of the Cross and crown

This item, up for bid; is an official, mailable 'Program' for the Convention' that was held in Clinton, Iowa-June 28th to July 5th, 1914.

This little gem, when folded, is regular letter size at approx. 4" X 6". This packet's diecut, card stock exterior is slightly pinkish in color--and, unfolded, the 7 pages span to nearly 30 inches in length.

The front of the 1914 programThis is the back of the 1914 program, on it we can see the the Cross and crown symbol

1914 Bay Area Congregation Schedule, this little booklet (3&3/4"X 6&1/4") lists the summer-into-fall activities, information and announcements for the 'Oakland Ecclesia' of the IBSA, for 1914

1914 Congregation Schedule

1916-Christmastide-1917 by the Watchtower society signed by Charles Taze Russell. A Christian greetings and best wishes to "The New Creation". This Card is part of the authors personal collection. The Card measures approximately 3-1/2 inches by 5-1/2 inches. These scans are close up and in their actual size, they are perfect for printing

In the upper Left hand corner is the Watchtower crown and cross, Christmas bells in upper right hand corner.This is the reverse side of the Watchtower's 1917 Christmas card.

The 1917 edition of the "Finished Mystery" had a advertisement in the back for another watchtower book called the "The Atonement Between GOD and MAN". This advertisement depicted a kneeling Christ and a Cross.

Here a is ribbon that advertised the 1921 convention assembly of I. B. S. A. (International Bible Students Association) "Jehovah's Witnesses" titled: I. B. S. A. CONVENTION. This ribbon was worn by those in attendance at the Detroit, Michigan convention held July 1st to 4th, 1921. . The local I. B. S. A were very joyful to have there brothers from the local facilities of the Watchtower Society to share the 1921 convention with them in the home city of Detroit, Mich.

1921 edition of the "The Harp of God" by "Judge" Rutherford. The "Judge" was the successor to Russell and the second President of the Watchtower Society.
    The opening page if the 1921 edition of the "The Harp of God"A image of the Crucifixion of Christ found on page 114 There is a nice poem honoring the Cross of Christ on page 141

THE POEM HONORING THE CROSS:

"In the cross of Christ I glory, Tow’ring o’er the wreck of time; All the light of sacred story Gather round its head sublime." ("The Harp of God" Page 141)

A EXAMPLE OF THE STATEMENTS HONORING THE CROSS:

"The ransom-price was provided at the cross. The cross of Christ is the great pivotal truth of the divine arrangement, from which radiate the hopes of men." ("The Harp of God" Page 141)

1928 Revised Edition of the

"The Harp of God" by "Judge" Rutherford

The opening page if the 1928 edition of the "The Harp of God"A image of the Crucifixion of Christ on page 113

Here is an original RARE Watchtower Studies in the Scriptures Order Slip with a Cross and Crown on it published by Watchtower. This slip was designed to order the Seven Volumes of the Studies in the Scriptures and the Harp of God so it would date to around 1928.

This is a 1928 order form, notice the Cross and Crown in the center. this is a close up of the words and the Cross and Crown.

The 1929 Edition of

"Creation" by "Judge" Rutherford
    The opening page if the 1929 edition of the "Creation"A color image of the Crucifixion of Christ on page 265A nice color image of the Cross of Christ on page 336

To the right are three examples of pre-1930 solid gold Watchtower Cross and Crown pendants. This symbol barring the cross was made in to rings, tie clasps, necklaces and bracelets.

"In the early part of our 20th century. . . . The cross was still prominent in their thinking. Some even wore a cross-and-crown lapel emblem, while others sought the respectability accorded Christendom." {WT May 1 1989 3}

Here a is ribbon from a 1943 watchtower convention. At the top we see the Cross and Crown symbol. In 1931, the Watchtower had condemned the cross and crown symbol as "Pagan", but as we can see many witnesses were reluctant to give it up. This scan is close up and in it's actual size, it is perfect for printing

To the Right is a scan from the 1993 Watchtower booklet "How Can Blood Save Your Life" (p. 7), it contains a picture of early Christians dying on crosses in the arena. This amounts to an inadvertent admission that Jesus did die on a cross.

Above is a close up of the picture.

THE TERM "CROSS" FOUND IN THE PRE-1950 WATCHTOWER PRINTINGS OF THE BIBLE:

In the years before 1969 the Interlinear of choice for the Jehovah's Witnesses was the Emphatic Diaglott.

Benjamin Wilson authored and self-published the "Emphatic Diaglott" in the 1860s, the interlinear Bible translation which was so essential to Watchtower theology that Wilson's printing plates were obtained after his death. for many year the Witnesses printed there own editions of this Bible, this is one of them.
    The opening page of a 1942 Jehovah's Witnesses printing of the Emphatic Diaglott.In this scan are some example of the use of the term "Cross". Look at Mark 15: 24,25, 30, 32, and in the footnote for verse 24.This scan is of the definition of the word "Cross" found in the "dictionary" in the back of the Emphatic Diaglott. We note that it describes a Cross as a "T", " t ", or a "X"
    J. F. Rutherford (the second president of the Watchtower Bible and Tract society) said this about the Emphatic Diaglott:

"The Emphatic Diaglott is one of the purest translations of the New Testament. It is translated from the original Greek. The Vatican Manuscript was chiefly used in its preparation, reference being had also to the Sinaitic and other manuscripts. It expresses the thought in modern language and greatly aids the Greek and English student in studying the New Testament. (Creation; 1927; p. 119)

THE KJV:

In the years before 1950 the Bible that was accepted, printed, used, promoted, and distributed by the Jehovah Witnesses (JW) was the King James Version (KJV). The printing arm of the Jehovah Witnesses (the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society) published many editions of this popular Protestant Bible
    The opening page of a Pre-1950 Jehovah's Witnesses printing of the King James Version.We can see the use of the word "Cross" in Matt.27:32, 35, 40

J. F. Rutherford had this to say about the King James Version:

"Doubtless there has never been a more masterful and perfect English publication than the Authorized Version of the Bible." (Creation; 1927; p. 117)
    THE ASV

In the years between 1944 and the late nineteen seventies one of the Bible that was accepted, Printed, used, promoted, and distributed by the Jehovah Witnesses (JW) was the American Standard Version (ASV). The printing arm of the Jehovah Witnesses (the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society) published many editions of this Protestant Bible. .

The opening page of a Pre-1950 Jehovah's Witnesses printing of the American Standard Version. We can see the use of the word "Cross" in Matt.27:40
    .J. F. Rutherford had this to say about the American Standard Version:

"The commission of reviser who prepared the Revised Version from 1870 forward had access to these manuscripts, however. The ancient manuscripts were studied, together with the various versions; and the greatest possible care and means were employed to bring forth a Bible expressing, as nearly as possible, the thought expressed by the original manuscripts" (Creation; 1927; p. 118)

THE BLI :

The "The Bible in Living English" (BLI) translated by Steven T. Byington (not to be confused with Taylor's "Living Bible"). Byington began translating the opening chapters of Matthewin 1898. He continued slowly with the project until 1940 when he was able to devote most of his time to the work and bring it to completion. After his death in 1957 the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society acquired the publication rights, but the translation was withheld from publication until 1972.

The opening page of a 1972 edition of The Bible in Living English. We can see the use of the word "Cross" in Matt.27: 32, 40

• jwfacts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit