Trying to find cross v. stake topics

by Sad emo 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

jwfacts.....Interesting page, and I'm gratified to see my research utilized....Would it be okay tho to supply a link to my JWD thread "for further information" or mention me somewhere as a source?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

depictions of Jesus' death in our publications are merely reasonable artictic renderings of the scene NOT STATEMENTS OF ANATOMIC ABSOLUTES!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I just lost my reply so I had to do it again!

Thank you all for the links and info - There's certainly enough to keep me out of mischief for a while!!

Atlantis - what a find! Those guys just can't do enough to 'avoid religious symbols that stem from ancient paganism'

If anyone wants to look at the findings of Zias and Sekeles in a bit more detail, the link which Triumph provided is a good start (you'll need to copy and paste the link as it isn't embedded)

• dozy
    dozy

Interesting discussion and links. Q - Do any other religions have a similar view of the cross as JWs (other than presumably the bible students and other associated groups) or is this belief unique to witnesses?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi dozy

I just discovered the other week that Mormons believe Jesus was impaled on a torture stake. I don't know of any others who do at the moment.

• inquirer
    inquirer

I don't agree with Leolaia's theory about the cross. I remember reading that article ages ago. I just don't agree with you, (and no I didn't misread the article, I probably just didn't see it the same way as you did last time -- regarding the Gospel of Thomas)

I think you are an interesting person, who know's her subjects, but I don't see it the same way. No one can really know how EXACTLY which way it was. Most historians take the middle ground and go for the TAU-shapped cross. Did anyone consider this web page that was first noted by goinggoinggone (can't remember if that's his name now) http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworldtranslation/stauros.htm . If you push the END key, you'll see an an illustration at the bottom of the page a man being literally hanged on a stake. Scroll up a bit more, you'll see an early illustration of Jesus dying on a stake, but he looks as if he going to ascend to heaven at any minute. I think the JW's are right on this issue. I really do. Also, this page as well: http://jehovah.125mb.com/stake_or_cross.htm He/she seems to have put up a mighty good argument for stake in my opinion.

I think they used different forms on execution that was based on the same principle, that's how I think we'll never know.

For those who quote John 20:25 ...“Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe,” there are those people like me who quote Acts 5:30 "The God of our forefathers raised up Jesus, whom YOU slew, hanging him upon a stake." :)

Consider this: a stake looks more like a tree but just without the green leaves on top. A cross doesn't resemble the appearnace of a tree. It looks too neat in my opinion. The way that mainstream Christianity does it, makes it look like the Romans spent hours sanding it, trimming off all the bumpy bits for hours just to make Jesus' cross have that look!

But who cares? I saw Passion of the Christ (extremely violent, you have been warned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I couldn't give a flying ____ what the shape was. I just thought it was a great movie! :) I thought that actor almost was Jesus Christ! :) I think Jesus would have acted a lot like that! :) Very well done Mel! :) (don't know why you added those Apocrypha bits though!!! Doesn't matter, God bless. :) )

• inquirer
    inquirer

Sad emo,

Hi dozy

I just discovered the other week that Mormons believe Jesus was impaled on a torture stake. I don't know of any others who do at the moment.

______

Are you serious? Wow... I didn't know that. Hmmm... I guess the Mormons started off in the same era in the 1800's! :) Mormons were only around 30 years before JW's!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Absolutely true Inquirer,

A Mormon called into the shop where I work looking for a Baptism gift and card without a cross on it because they don't believe Jesus was crucified on a cross. I was very suprised too - took me ages to think of alternative suggestions lol!

Do JW's have a remote connection with the Mormons via the Adventists? Maybe I'm getting them mixed up with the Christadelphians.

• inquirer
    inquirer

How did the Mormons think Jesus die? On a Tau shapped cross (captial T?) Or exactly like the JW's?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Exactly as the JW's believe - on a stake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit