I WENT TO CHURCH THIS MORNING....

by Mary 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

After the distastful and depression Memorial at the Kingdom Hall last Wednesday night, I guess I just felt the need to go somewhere else this morning for Easter so I drove around.......I was going to go to the Presbyterian Church but the service wasn't untill 11:00am....ditto for the Lutheran and United Churches too, so I ended up going to the Catholic Church (of all places!) because the Service started at 9:30am. Never been to a Catholic Service before, (except for one wedding and one funeral years ago). It was absolutely packed in there----standing room only. I'll bet there was at least 400 people there........ya, sure seems like the Waters of Babylon are really drying up.

Although I didn't find the Sermon very enlightening, it was at least a step up from the Memorial. For me, I guess the Catholic Church is just too different than what I'm used to----so many rituals and kissing of the bible........it just wasn't me. And somehow, when the priest asked the congregation "...Have you renounced Satan and all his empty promises?" I couldn't help but see Michael Corleone in that scene from The Godfather, standing there accepting communion and being asked the same question.

Still, when I went up to get the wafer, no one asked me if I had been baptized before 1935, or drag me in the back room to tell me how my hope wasn't in heaven, but rather here on earth. There was no hammering away that "...you're not doing enough for the Church!" or telling you how "meetings are not an option!" like they did last Wednesday night. However I did hear that Jesus died for ME and there was no mention of only 144,000 partaking of the emblems-----a definite bonus.

I guess a more conservative church would be better for me..........I've been invited to a couple and I think I might give it a whirl......anyone else go to a church this morning?

• gumby
    gumby

Gee Mary....I'm so dang proud of you. See there, no demunz or nuthin!

I prolly would not have picked a Catholic Church....specially us mind altered ex-dubs. The non-denominational ones may have appealed to you more. If your like me, after attending ANY church for awhile....you'll see dub similarities all over the place.....but that's just me.

Gumby

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Hi Mary

My wife & I were going to do the same exact thing. But we had to watch our grandchildren. Kudos to you for going other places.

Ah the wafer. Haven't had one in years. Do they still melt in your mouth and not in your hands, like Mins kin?

Dismembered

• Honesty
    Honesty

I went this morning, too. 2 worship services and Sunday School afterwards. It was more than wonderful. 

I actually learned a lot of new things about Jesus. The music was beautiful and directed toward Jesus.

It filled my heart and soul up which never happened once in 16 years during sales meetings at the 

Kingdom Hall. 
  • DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Oh wow, you took communion?

Generally that's supposed to be a no-no for non-Catholics

• TwoBlackBelts
    TwoBlackBelts

Seriously, just stay away from organised religion of any sort. They're all forms of behaviour control that differ in degree but not in kind.

YOU are your own saviour.

• Undecided
    Undecided

You are so right, old Gumball,

you'll see dub similarities all over the place.....but that's just me.

That isn't just you, I went with my wife to a non-denom church for about a year and I saw some of the same attitudes and stuff there too. Not cultish though, and they did help out others in need. Religion just isn't in my life anymore, I mean in my heart, it's still everywhere around me. Faith to me is just the same as believing in Santa, it's all in the imagination of the brain. When something happens as a result of spirit intervention maybe I will finally consider it again.

Ken P.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Seriously, just stay away from organised religion of any sort. They're all forms of behaviour control that differ in degree but not in kind.

YOU are your own saviour

Watch Life of Brian instead.... "You don't NEEEEEED anyone!...you can think for yourself!".....crowd responds.."Tell us more!"

u/d

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Unfortunately I couldn't go this morning - I had my neice over for the weekend and somehow I don't think that would go over too well with her JW parents (even though I had her over for the weekend to do something special with her for her birthday!).

I did go on Friday morning though. There were three churches that got together to worship together. I was a nice service - the speaker was great and talked all about Jesus and what his sacrifice meant for us.

BB

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumbaby said: Gee Mary....I'm so dang proud of you. See there, no demunz or nuthin!

I dunno.......I heard a voice say to me "....beware of the GB......beware of the GB..." Now was that a referral to the Governing Body or the GumBastard??

Dismembered asked: Ah the wafer. Haven't had one in years. Do they still melt in your mouth and not in your hands, like Mins kin?

God no.....I had to actually chew it before I swallowed.......

Dan the Man said: Oh wow, you took communion? Generally that's supposed to be a no-no for non-Catholics

Hmmm.......nobody asked me if I were a Catholic..can you imagine their faces if I had admitted "...uh no, I'm just an inactive Jehovah's Witness.."

upside/down said: Watch Life of Brian instead....

Got it on DVD...........".....did you say you used to be a leper? What happened?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit