I WENT TO CHURCH THIS MORNING....

by Mary 42 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

That was an interesting experience for me the fascinating thing about the catholic and orthodox church is that they go back to the apostolic times that's a history of narly 2000 years.

The dubs try to negate that with the apostasy theory in order to make themselves more attractive despite their very late appearence in history. 120 years can't compare with 2000 years.

• Mary
    Mary
    The dubs try to negate that with the apostasy theory in order to make themselves more attractive despite their very late appearence in history. 120 years can't compare with 2000 years.

True enough.......but after going to the CC this morning, I somehow couldn't imagine the first century christians performing all the ritualistic rites that I witnessed this morning.........

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

And somehow, when the priest asked the congregation "...Have you renounced Satan and all his empty promises?" I couldn't help but see Michael Corleone in that scene from The Godfather, standing there accepting communion and being asked the same question.

ROFLMAO.........

Balsam: wow, what a powerful experience. Sounds like a wonderful congregation.... What a nice Easter present.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

My daughter and I went today too (although we missed the Sunrise Service that was held in a private home with breakfast afterward). It was really nice.

We just started going recently, out of curiosity, to a small Presbyterian Church with a female pastor and mostly elderly parishioners. I had never been anywhere other than a KH before.

A lady pasted out little bundles of jellybeans with a written Easter blessing attached. Services opened with "Passing the Peace of Christ" which meant everyone getting up and greeting each other with hugs and handshakes. And no one seemed to mind when my little one played musical chairs and took turns sitting by different people right at first.

Then I reined her in and she sat munching jelly beans and colouring in the colouring books provided in the back for kids. It was a lovely and loving service. A girl with a beautiful voice sang a song from Yentl. At the end of her sermon, the pastor told a story that made a few people (including herself) cry. We received communion, then ended, as always, with everyone holding hands in an unbroken chain and singing, "I'm so glad I'm part of the family of God..."

I never thought I would, but I quite like going to church(Of course I never thought I would be a Christian of any kind either, but that's another story)

~Merry

• gumby
    gumby

Dammit....I shoulda went to some service somewhere. I coulda eaten like a king today.....but noooooo....I had ta stay home and eat some cambells canned soup and some popcorn. I'm even outta beer!

Gumby

• whyizit
    whyizit

We went to church this morning. A non-denominational church. Christ Community Church. Welcomes anyone from any denominational background. Preaches straight from the Bible. Everyone is welcome to take communion, they don't pass around a basket for money (although I don't see anything wrong with that, because they give an accounting of where the money goes), they have donation boxes here and there around the church, if you feel led to contribute, no membership or pressure to "join" anything, but many areas of interest open to anyone who would like to participate.....NO PRESSURE!! I love it! You don't have to "perform". Dress in blue jeans or a suit, whichever. Sincere worship, hearing the word of God straight from the Bible, and the freedom to worship how ever you feel comfortable. It doesn't get any better than that. For the first time in my life, I enjoy going to church and look forward to it. I guess you just have to keep searching until you find the right one for you. Maybe read Toxic Faith first, so you can readily identify harmful practices.

Nothing wrong with Charismatic or Pentecostal Churches, per se, but I would steer away from them at first. They are a lot more radical than you are probably used to. Might be frightening to you. Baptists are pretty laid back. I came from a Catholic background, my husband from Assembly of God, two different ends of the spectrum! Baptist seemed to meet in the middle. Just keep visiting. You'll find the one that is right for you!

• Mary
    Mary

So Christ Community Church is non-denominational? I'll have to see if there's one in my area.........I've been invited to attend a Reformed Presbyterian Church by a co-worker.......I guess they're a bit more conservative than the regular Presbyterian and I've already grilled him about what exactly would be expected of me........he knows I'm an ex-Witness and I told him I do not want to get roped into another frigging cult and I plan on examining the history of the church thoroughy...........

Gumbeer said: I'm even outta beer!

Good.....you can go to the Liquor Store and on your outting, you can check out that vino for me!!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I didn't go to church this morning but I wanted to. I figured it probably wouldn't have gone over big with my husband so I stayed home. But I have gone several times this past year, and I leave every time feeling better than when I came.... Uplifted, loved, appreciated and appreciative of those around me.

Can't say that ever happened when I went to the KH. I always left there feeling like I needed to be doing more, and just the thought was exhausting.

GGG

• ballistic
    ballistic

Mary, did you find it a good experience? My neighbour had some Spanish children stay, students, and the first thing they said to me was how lucky I was to have a church at the end of my road. And you know what? I never noticed. It's a huge building I was just blind to. Been thinking of walking in there on a Sunday to see what's going on.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Oh and Mary my church which is about 25 yards away is called St Marys. I'm guessing that would make it Catholic. But what do I know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit