Worst/strangest bookstudy group

by Virgochik 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

OK, I was reading the "worst bookstudy book" thread, and it got me thinking about the worst book study groups I went to. Once, my dad was study conductor and the study was held in an elderly sister's home. There was antique furniture and doilies on the tables. She seldom participated, Seemed like she felt opening her home was plenty. So, no comments from her! A single mom with three kids came too. The kids were sullen and wouldn't answer. I was sullen too, and wouldn't answer, ha! Poor dad, usually it fell to mom to rescue him. It was very awkward, and uncomfortable!

Another time, a family had the study in their tiny home. The kids all had the stomach flu, and were running to the bathroom just off the study group's sitting area. Loud flushing, running back to bedroom, repeat many times. Good night to have the study at the Hall, but no!

Anybody else have "fond" memories of their groups?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The worst/strangest bookstudy group for me??? The first one I went to. Everyone was in a sunroom, the book was the "Greatest Man" publication. I just remember thinking about how wierd all these people seemed dressed up on a tuesday night, in somebodys house. I kept thinking "why did they get dressed up for this". There was an eerie feeling that came over me that evening, like it was some kind of cult (no lie).

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I once went to a book study group that was held in an MS's house. There were just a few brothers there so I couldn't slack and get away with it, I had to do the prayers, reading and answering up.

Now my accent wasn't local to this group, in fact it was pretty strange and I already had something of a complex about having it. To make matters worse the MS had a teenage daughter (17) and every time I opened my mouth at the study she would giggle. This went on for weeks and no one said anything because it was her dads house. I'd put my hand up to answer, I'd say just one word and then there would be a giggle and I would become very aware of my accent and that I was being laughed at and that would throw me off what I was going to say causing me to be further embarrassed. It was really cheesing me off because I thought she was taking the piss. Eventually I stopped answering up and taking part. This was noticed by the elder who questioned me about it on service one day. When I explained I thought I was being ridiculed he explained to me that it was nothing of the sort. The real reason she giggled was because she had a crush on me, she couldn't help herself even though she'd been spoken to about it by several sisters.

I then had to put up with the giggling until I was moved by the PO

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

LOL @ Dr Jekyll

That's such a funny story! You little stud muffin you...!

I can't think of any particular outstanding bookstudy group. I remember we used to have it at our place for a while (group house of girls) and the brothers just used to never turn up. Seriously they were hopeless. I used to have to read for the bookstudy every week. Some of the other sisters got real crappy about it too because they weren't asked to read... Sigh.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Ever get in a group that couldn't read, and the conductor made everybody take their turn reading a paragraph? Listening to the poor soul laboriously sweating and struggling to mangle the words and get done was painful. One guy said, "When our Lord was bored by the Virgin Mary..." meaning, born by Mary! We were in stitches, couldn't help it!

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll
    Some of the other sisters got real crappy about it too because they weren't asked to read... Sigh.

Ah I remember something like this happening at a CBS.

There was a lot of flu going around andall the brothers in the group except me were struck down with it. The Elder had left no contingency plans so we just planned our roles as we went along. As the only one with a penis there it was down to me to ask the questions and i let the girls sort out who would do the closing prayer and reading and there was a right ding dong over that. It was handbags at dawn over who was going to read. The sisters were so keen to take the lead and do something they wouldn't normally do... is this what they mean by "penis envy"?

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Ever get in a group that couldn't read, and the conductor made everybody take their turn reading a paragraph?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I can one-up you here.

my favorite was the nut-job conductor who made us "role-play" while reading the Greatest Man book (round 1 -- early 90's). That's right, we were all assigned characters (Jesus, apostles, and a narrator), and were supposed to read whenever our character "spoke".

-silent

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Silent - that is indeed bizarre. But at least it would have made the group a bit more interesting! LOL

• proandcon
    proandcon

I was new and in a congreagtion near WT Farm in NY state...a "brother" (MS) had a book study at his very large country house...large room...34 in the book study...of which about 1/2 were kids...the brother was "uncomfortable" around people "of color"...each week some of the young (6-8 yrs old) kids "of color" would use his bathroom near the study room...you could see he had a problem with this..after the prayer , he would march to his cleaning closet to get cleaning products and immediately begin sanitizing the bathroom...before most had left...finally after several weeks of this routine...he just closed the bathroom door and put an out of order sign on the toilet...great Christian qualitiy for sure...he always cried about why he wasn't selected to be an elder...quite frankly...I always thought he could have just as easily been more comfortable under a white hooded robe...his racist comments were unbelievable...the bethelites in attendance were completely mum...a real strange deal for sure...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have been in heaps of groups were they were so boring it was embarrasing.
    I once had to take a group as the study conductor was away. He gave me the key to his house. Only one 80 yo sister turned up. The two of us looked at each other like, 'whats the point' and went home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit