Worst/strangest bookstudy group

by Virgochik 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have known a few over the years although not to match the bizarre memories of some here.

only benefit of being an elder was that I didn't have to sit through someone else's boring book study.

Whoever said that was spot on. At least control gives a measure of freedom.

The worst ones were in old person's homes. The places that had that stuffy stale smell because the windows are never opened . The matriarch or patriarch used to rule and give a disapproving glare to anyone that dared move a chair. Of there was always Sister Special who just had to have a certain chair.

Back in the early days we studied the Babylon Book in the conductors cramped basement flat. His Mother In Law was decidedly odd and would pipe with unexpected comments , to his embarrassment like "Why do we keep saying these bad things about the churches?" (she had been a baptized witness for decades)..The study was pretty tedious anyway.

in the nineties we took a group study at a home where was a 'sister' now single, her little girl but also a teenage son home again from a "special school" this lad took no part . He used to clear off on a Tuesday night but sometimes would come in and clatter in the kitchen and then sit on the porch smoking - to the groups displeasure. There was also a pet rat in a cage. I quite liked it but most of them were horrified at there being a rat in the house . Sometimes they forgot to take the cage upstairs and turned the group into turmoil .

I hated the Family book study most of all wherever it was held . Full of bad advice and and invited the strongest personalities to give all their embarrassing anecdotes.

The good ones were where people spoke up, and put a bit of life into it , it is the people that make a difference - even is some were a little eccentric.....At least stifling heat was not a problem in temperate UK.

• truckerich
    truckerich

The Bookstudy Conductor would always start the meeting with a kind of roll call...I always felt sorry for this one brother who would always be asked where he mother was....why his father wasn't there....and if his sister is ever going to make it back to the meetings...Sad thing was that the bookstudy was being held the brother's grandmother's house....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit