Worst/strangest bookstudy group

by Virgochik 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• KW13
    KW13

We had the study at a few different places. i hated it when it was at our house, the excitement wore off after we realised people liked to venture in different rooms. it got annoying.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I had 'confessed' my sins to the elder body at my old congregation. And was still on 'probation' at my new one when on one particularly embarassing Monday night bookstudy...

The elderly elder who was conducting the study, who had the habit of just being very enthusiastic about everything, was walking around talking about the lesson and asking questions and then just calling on people out of the blue.

He called on me, an incredibly simple question that I knew the answer to, and I shook my head trying to remind him that I couldn't answer. He kept it up. Well, the thing is. My mother was sitting right beside me and I had not told her that I'd lost those 'privileges'.

Finally, I just answered the questions and took the matter to the p.o. who was a friend of mine and asked him if I handled it properly.

It had been nearly a year and a half prior to that night that I'd been reproved.

I could have died.

meagan

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Most of the CBS my dad conducted were at the King-dumb Hell. However, I do recall one time, my dad was assigned to conduct at a home. The lady of the house demanded that every one remove their shoes before entering the home. The furnature had plastic covers. The next week and every week thereafter that bible study was conducted at the Hell.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Oddly, the study was moved from that house back to the Hall...

Not long after, a black sister from the Hall was reproved and it went around that she and this son, who she worked with, had "engaged in immorality!" I always wondered what exactly those two saw in each other...

• Gregor
    Gregor

I remember in the summer when they started meeting for field service at 7 pm at the bookstudy home for a quick 45 mins of door knocking before the Bookstudy. I hated this worse than anything I had ever done, even more than Memorial day cemetary raids. At just about every door people were having dinner.

We once had the study at the home of a young man who lived with his mother. The study had to end at 9 PM because he could not miss "The Naked City" TV program. So, it was like, "...amen" and the TV went on.

There was an unfortunate woman who attended with a witness relative. She had been horribly disfigured in a fire, no nose or lips. She wore a scarf over her head because she had no ears. It was a small living room and I remember how uncomfortable eveyone was when she was there. It made for a very long hour.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

The book study I was attending until just recently when I realised I could no longer be smegged, was the best ever. For the first time in my life the conductor didn't drag things out for the full hour. Most weeks there was just me, a few people who never answered, and his wife. Sometimes we'd be out the door after thirty minutes.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

My fondest memories are of bookstudy night. We used to have it in our home, and so I loved the fact that I didn't have to go far. Many a night we would have cup of tea night with cakes and savouries and treats for the children....sometimes these evenings would go quite late and a few would stay back for a game of cards and a bit of a gossip session. I rarely won the card games...some of those sisters were sharks!

~Beck~

• gerry
    gerry

when I was a young MS our elder conductor got some of the brothers to act out the skinny cows eating the 7 fat cows. mind you he did not use the kids, he got two brothers who had teenage kids to get down on their hands and knees and act it out. By the way these brothers were the most overweight and rotund in our cong. not a pretty sight

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    The worst/strangest bookstudy group for me??? The first one I went to. Everyone was in a sunroom, the book was the "Greatest Man" publication. I just remember thinking about how wierd all these people seemed dressed up on a tuesday night, in somebodys house. I kept thinking "why did they get dressed up for this". There was an eerie feeling that came over me that evening, like it was some kind of cult (no lie).

Very insightful Drew - you should have run with your instincts!
    Me, I was bought up with wearing a suit and tie to someones house on a Tuesday evening - geez we really were weird

We had the book study at our place and it was great fun. There were 9 in my family and we had about 30 in the group. We had a kind of big party afterward but got in trouble when it started becoming known as 'card night.' In summer we took our chairs outside by the pool and had a pool party till quite late afterward.

Most other witnesses wouldn't know hospitality if it bit 'em on the bum. lol.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Once I was in this group of old people, average age was about 70. I was 20 and single and had to attend this one, due to a work schedule issue. These older people had no respect for young Witnesses, so every time I answered anything, they ignored me and repeated my answer again. It was weird, I noticed it every time and they only did it with me. If an older person answered, they did not repeat theirs, just mine. Every single time! I mentioned it to the elder who conducted once and he said he saw it too and found it funny. He even started saying to these older people, "wasn't that just said?" This did not stop them though, and after a month, I moved on to another book study. That one was strange-land, times ten! Strange even for Witnesses and that is saying something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit