Do you think the real reason why Elders don't make shepherding visits is...

by XJW4EVR 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Berean
    Berean

You know, I had quite a lengthy post ready for this thread. I thought better of it and decided not to post it.

For those of you that found the elders actions to be detrimental… may you find personal peace! I hope that you can find it within yourselves to devote some of your time in assisting others in whatever way you see fit.

For you that were elders (or current elders), even though your efforts may not seem well spent to some on this site, you did what you thought was right … thanks for your efforts!

Some of you former elders may understand this … “Welcome Home …”!

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I use to accompany an elder in the shepherding when I was a ministerial servant. We seemed to enjoy it, but quickly learned that most of the other book study conductors done shepherding calls in voice only. I.e. said they did but really didn't. They didn't even know a lot of the problems being experienced by those in their book study. When word got around we were approached but members of other book studies about the need for encouragment, help, need of a visit etc. Our time doing this quickly magnified, and when we brought it up during a visit from the C.O. and pointed out that others didn't seem to be accomplishing this. You could have heard a needle thunderously hit the carpeted floor it was so quiet.

Needless to say, we weren't well appreciated and our comments less so. But truth is truth they weren't conducting shepherding calls and most of them could care less, If you weren't a pioneer or heavy auxilary pioneer you didn't exist.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

After many years of no shepherding calls a MS and elder gave my family a visit. The elder lacks the ability to relate to humans so stumbled along for a while about how it would be good if we didn't miss so many meetings. Then it was the MS turn. He talked about how wonderful the New System will be and how he wants a pet bear or something. Then he turned to me and asked
    Q- "What are you looking forward to in the New System?"
    A - "I don't believe in the New System"
    Stunned silence.
    We proceeded to discuss things for a while and then 2 weeks later I had another visit, this time without the MS, they promoted me to requiring 2 elders, then 3 elders, then 6 elders.
    I wonder if the MS will ask that question again.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Those juicy elders stories, I wonder if the video version exists loll..... Good one...

I hated them too, They never come when all is good, they wait until you feal like crap, and make you feel even more worthless after.

Its not love, they only do it cause the CO told them to do so on irreguals in the congregation.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I've gone on "forced-visits" a.k.a. "shepherding calls" with the "holy one's of God. I found them to be very unproductive. Most of the time you could tell the ones you were visiting didn't want you there in the first place. They were anxiously waiting for us to leave! They didn't want a pat on the fanny or to have the "foreheads greased with oil". They tolerated us more out of courtesy than anything else. Most cancelled anyway. With excuses like "oh we can't have you over. our parakee, and gold fish are sick, or "can you come over maybe next week? I have a hang-nail".

As well, they could tell I'd rather be home taking a nap after the meetin' on Sundee. Then drinking beer!

Dismembered

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    People are better off not being called on by elders who would label them as hypochondriacs.

I agree completely. If I require a medical diagnosis, I'll go to a doctor, not an elder™ who's area of expertise is more than likely the cleaning of windows, floors, or toilets.

If elders™ restricted their efforts to matters that were covered in the scriptures they would probably get far more respect. In my 20 years as a JW, not once did an elder open a bible when counseling me. But then, the bible doesn't really discuss serious sins like moustaches, bright ties, nailbiting, 2 door vehicles, or the parting of a man's hair.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit