Do you think the real reason why Elders don't make shepherding visits is...

by XJW4EVR 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

You guys are making such good points!

Just imagine how pitiful our lame 'elder schools' were.
    We sit reviewing the most obvious material from the society.

It's a sad, vicious cycle.
    Eventually, those few sincere elders get frustrated, quit and are replaced by incompetent glory seekers & everyone suffers even more!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yeah, the last one we had was so obviously a duty call -- they were scared, bored, and uncomfortable. We must have done a good job at making them feel unwelcome because they haven't been back since. Our basset hound helped tremendously: she was an enthusiastic crotch-sniffer and usually we kept her away from company, but when the elders came in I told them, "oh you HAVE to meet Ladybug" and let her in to do her worst. Their Bibles were put to very good use while I sat on the sofa and smiled. And I'm sure they didn't appreciate our response when they asked: "Do you still feel that this is Jehovah's organization?" -- we looked at each other and burst out laughing. And then told them that we weren't going to answer that question, thank you. Then I laced into them about why they hadn't been to visit me in a year and a half since I hadn't been to ANY meetings since moving my publisher record card to their congregation. (I was really banking on that congregation ignoring me -- they're very good at it.)

Haven't seen hide nor hair of them since.

Nina

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

The real reason you never see an Elder outside service hours is below

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Ever since they published this book

alt I heard the pages are "wipe clean"

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    that they can't count the hours?

They count their time. I was sometimes asked to accompany my BS conductor on shepherding calls, and was told I could count my time. But when going on these visits I got the impression the elder didn't like visiting certain people, because he knew damn well they'd give him shit for something. W

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Most of them dont have the time to do them. The WT treadmill keeps them busy enough, if I had a choice I would rather spend time with my family than visit people who probably dont care anyway. This only proves this scripture to me:

(Ephesians 4:11) 11

And he gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers. . .

Not every single elder is qualified to do it all but the WTS tries to force them to do it. Yet another unscriptural arrangement from "gods channel" on earth.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

But truthfully do we want these people come to our homes all the time. No. If we do have problems we know that if their of a spiritual nature they will not get answered because of the possibility that the person may not know what the WTBTS position is on the subject. If it is a matter of depression or if we are suffering with mental illness, they are not taught how to deal with this issue and some even discourage therapy. If it is a marriage issue and you are a woman they will tell you all about the wifely dues and some how it will become the woman's fault.

I agree with [sorry poster I don't remember your name] the gentleman that said that it is hard to do it all, outside work, study for mtgs, be a GOOD father, be a GOOD husband, work up talks, etc. They give up a lot of their time and I suppose if they really don't like you they would rather not waste their time coming by to talk to you. But honestly do you want them to stop by!

• willyloman
    willyloman

I can think of several reasons why elders dislike shepherding calls, based on my own experience:

1. Half the time, the people either weren't home (despite making an appointment) or one of them met you at the door and said the other was ill and this wasn't a good time. This meant you had showered, shaved, put on a suit and left the house after gulping down some dinner, on one of the few nights of the week that you otherwise could have been home with your family.

2. Some of the "friends" had homes that were filthy and you were afraid to sit down anywhere; these people would also have a long list of complaints they wanted to share with you,mostly having to do with why nobody ever came over to see them or asked to socialize with them.

3. The hypochondriacs in the congo - and there were many - read you the riot act over what they perceived as gross insensitivity on the part of the congo to their serious health problems.

4. You generally could not count the time, although some did if there was an unbaptized kid or spouse within earshot when you visited. So you wasted time (see above) with no payoff, an important consideration in an organization that trains you not to do good works unless you receive credit for it.

5. And, finally: Half the congo didn't need a shepherding call because you could do as much good, or more, simply by inviting them over to your house for a BBQ along with 10 or 20 other fairly normal folks. So that's what we did.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If elders could count their time, their ministry would decrease, shepherding calls would greatly increase, less sheep would leave and the WTS would be better off - but they will never learn.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I was married to a man who was an Elder for a number of years. He didn't like sheparding calls, because in general most witnesses didn't want them bothering them if they went coming regular. He said it was more pleasant if they could just call on the older and infirmed ones, they appreciated the Elders coming by. Frankly I always thought being an Elder was a thankless job and wondered why any man would want to do it. Glory to Jehover I guess. He was a man who really didn't like people all that much nor did he care to socialize. Perfect Elder I suppose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit