Crisis of Conscience

by Kristofer 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

I just finished reading this book. I've got to say, that last chapter was amazing and so inspiring. I haven't felt that good after reading a book in a long time. I just read the 2004 revised version. I hope some of you who have the older version read the same thing I did. Sometimes I think that last chapter alone is enough to make anyone choose Christian Liberty over a controlled organization.

Is it possible for anyone to remain a JW after reading this?

Is there anyone who is still active that has read this book?

What are your thoughts? Have your thoughts/actions changed by reading this book?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

Definitely relieved any lingering anxieties I had...

• anewme
    anewme

I look forward to reading the book some day.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I don't know anyone that has read it cover to cover that has not left.
    My niece gave it to my auntie about 20 years ago. My auntie started reading it and became so distraught that my niece took it off her. To this day my auntie is still a JW, but a bit wary of it all, but my niece is worried it will do her more harm than good to leave at her age.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

My husband read it 10 years before he finally left.

It setteled a lot of questions for me. I wished I had read it sooner. It's a must read for anyone doubting the WTS.

• Clam
    Clam

Kristofer yes it's quite an experience reading CofC. It's a must read.

Is it possible for anyone to remain a JW after reading this?

If you've got the open mindedness and courage to read it then it changes everything IMO. Some people are trapped so then there's decisions to be made. The title is very apt as I'm sure it's caused so many to have a crisis of conscience all of their own.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Its great, but its hard getting JW's to read it, I had to read mine at work cause my wife would get rid of it if not... I tried to convince her so far, no go... Well as being active I do the least possible, 1 or 2 meetings a month and 1 to 3 hours in field work, never study or read... I am fading really and slowly hope that the wife will understand someday...

• dozy
    dozy

"Is it possible for anyone to remain a JW after reading this? "

Yes - I read it a few years ago and am still a JW. My wife did and is still a (devout) JW. Franz writes well , but without knowing the other side of the accounts he discusses , it is impossible to establish a term of reference on his book alone. Some ex-witnesses are not big Franz fans - he doesn't support the Silentlambs program , claiming that child abuse isn't a problem in the WTS. Nevertheless , both his books are fascinating background reading , if a little dated now (he has been out of the loop for many years).

• Legolas
    Legolas

Yes excellent book!

But you HAVE to read 'In Search of Christian Freedom' ....It gets into more of the org itself!

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I gave this book to a current jw and after reading it, he's still a jw. His reasoning was similar to dozy's. He also believes that regardless of what the jw's do, they're still fulfilling the "last days prophecy" regarding the preaching work and nothing can change his mind about that. I'd love him to read "Sign of the Last Days--When?" but I really can't be bothered even bringing it up to him. He gets outright agitated, unreasonable and insulting, and I just don't have time for that.
    In the end, people will only see what they're ready to see.
    tall penguin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit