help! family mbr reading my 3 yr old My Book of Bible Stories

by limbogirl 37 Replies latest jw friends

• wanda
    wanda

THE FOUR COMPTONS AND MEDICAL TREATMENTS

Rickie and her brother Ernie Campton came home crying. “What’s to matter!?” Their parents asked.

“A girl who used to go to our school died.” Rickie said.

“Yeah,” said Ernie. “She thought it would please God. She told me once it was in the Bible to abstain from blood.”

Mr. Campton looked thoughtful. “I see. As you know your mom and I study the Bible a lot. In fact, I was studying this same subject last week because I know a man at work who believes the same thing.”

“What did you find out, Daddy?” Ernie asked.

“Well, let me look for those notes. Ah, here they are... 1 Samuel 14:32 through verse 35
    says King Saul's whole army ate unbled meat without punishment from God because it was an emergency to save their lives.”

“What kind of emergency?” Asked Rickie, her tears having stopped.

“Well, all those men didn’t have any food. They would have died from starvation. They ate unbled livestock then built an altar of repentance to show respect for the law of Moses that was in effect at that time. God excused their breaking the law because it was done to save life.”

“Yeah,” said Ernie. “We must obey laws normally, but there is a place for everything especially when life is in danger.”

Mr. Campton smiled, “Good thinking, Son. You’re right we must normally obey the law. God puts governments and laws here to help people. But God is also reasonable and fair. He once inspired the king Solomon to write that there are places in time and space for doing things differently.”

Rickie’s face looked sad again. “So Angie,.... that was her name, shouldn’t have died? You’re saying God didn’t want that, right!”

“Yes. Plus there’s some other things Angie probably didn’t know about.”

“What?” Rickie and Ernie asked at the same time.

“Well, for example identical twins normally transfuse blood back and forth to each other via a shared placenta, and besides that mother’s milk includes white blood cells. God has caused these things to happen.”

Rickie’s face took on an angry, upset appearance. “This was so senseless and wrong! Angie should still be alive!”

“Yes, and some groups are like that on all medical situations, not just emergency blood transfusions, and they’re wrong about that too. For example, these notes I took say Christ said people need doctors. That’s at Matthew 9:12, Mark 2:17, and Luke 5:31.”

“Dad,” Ernie said, “I believe I read somewhere Luke, who was one of the twelve disciples of Christ, was a doctor.”

“Right. I’ve got that in my notes too, son. Luke Colossians 4:14 says that. But you know, like I said, a few groups do preach against anyone ever using doctors for any medical conditions at all. Sometimes people, including babies, die from that kind of belief too.”

Now Rickie and Ernie’s mother spoke up. “I’ve got to tell you this, everybody. There’s a scripture that I always remember and try to live by. At Matthew 12:7 Christ says God wants ‘mercy not sacrifice.’ (Mt 12:7)

All the family looked thoughtful and their heads bowed in both sorrow and agreement.

“Dad, Mom...”

“What, Rickie?”

“I’m going to write those scriptures and what you said down then send it to Angie’s parents. They have a right to believe as they do but I also have a right to give them the real truth. Maybe it’ll save the life of one of Angie’s other brothers or sisters!”

Another year came and went. The four Camptons learned that Angie’s parents had both stopped believing what their religious leaders had told them was the Bible’s firm rule to never use blood even in an emergency.

They were eating at the dinner table on a Saturday. “Yes,” Mrs. Campton said, “Angie’s parents called here and said they appreciated Rickie’s letter. She read it even though her group had told her to never read anything opposed to its views.”

“But Angie’s still dead!” Rickie shouted.

“True. And they feel horrible, of course. But now they too are going to tell other people what they learned from your letter and your dad’s notes. It will save other lives. I like to think Angie is looking on right now and is proud of us all.”

• wanda
    wanda

THE REST OF THE BIBLE’S STORY

WHY THIS WAS WRITTEN

This was mostly written for helping children and adults understand why other people, incorrectly although well-meaning, are wrong about teaching them to not celebrate holidays and birthdays.

Yes, even some very very nice people tell kids (and adults) that God says in the Bible to not celebrate Christmas and birthdays, and also that He also will destroy people who do celebrate them.

That isn’t true, of course, because those nice people are not told the whole story. So it’s important to know The Rest Of The Bible Story about those and some other things.

WHY ELENA’S GRANDPARENTS DIDN’T USE TO CELEBRATE BIRTHDAYS

For example the grandparents of a little girl named Elena told her the only times birthdays are mentioned in the Bible are times when someone was killed. Some people had told that to Elena’s grandparents.

They said Genesis 40:20 says on his birthday a king in the land of Egypt had the heads cut off of his servants who were a butler and a baker.

Also on the birthday of his daughter a wicked king named Herod chopped off the head of a very good man named John the Baptizer. That is at Matthew 14:6 and Mark 6:21.

Elena was told about these terrible things and it looked like the Bible was against birthdays. Her grandparents and some other people really believed that. They didn’t celebrate birthdays and didn’t want Elena to celebrate them either.

But Elena’s grandparents didn’t know the rest of the Bible story. For example, Luke 2:6 says angels celebrated the birth of the Son of God, Jesus Christ.

Another good man named Job also celebrated birthdays. The Bible says at Job 1:3 that his sons and daughters celebrated their own days. It also says at Job 3:13 that those days were the days when they had been born.

Also, Jude 12 says the earliest Christians used to have “love feasts.” (Jude 12) Those were probably like what we call Christian potluck meals where each person brings a little food then everybody has a good time eating, talking, praying and visiting.

So, you see, the men who taught Elena’s grandparents to not celebrate birthdays were not telling all of what the Bible says.

Yes, happily, the real truth is that it is okay to celebrate your birthday and the birthdays of other people.

When parents celebrate the birth of a child they are showing that they are happy that God gave them the child, and of course children can be happy that God wanted them born.

So why did some people tell things to Elena’s grandparents that were untrue? There is no way to be sure. Maybe they just don’t know the Bible very well, so they didn’t teach it well or right to Elena’s grandparents.

It’s sad that Elena’s grandparents can’t eat some birthday cake with Elena and don’t know the rest of the story about birthdays. Elena is very young, only about five. Maybe sometime Elena or some other person will be able to explain it to them.

Anyway, that’s the rest of the Bible story about birthdays, and may you enjoy many many birthdays in the years ahead of you!

IVAN LEARNS ABOUT CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR’S DAY

Ivan often went to play at his aunt and uncle’s house. One day some people with their own Bibles and some magazines came to the door of the house where Ivan’s uncle and aunt lived.

The two people, a well-dressed man and woman, said God does not want Christians to celebrate Christmas. They claimed that Santa Claus, the Christmas tree and lights were from other religions called pagan religions.

They said those things and a lot of other things. Ivan, his aunt and uncle did not say much but they listened closely.

Ivan was about age twelve. He went home and got on the internet where he found many websites that said such things are pagan but also some that said they are not.

One thing the visitors with Bible and magazines had said is that those who celebrate Christmas on December 25 do so because thousands of years ago Roman people had another celebration on that same day called the Saturnalia. (Sa-tuhr-nay-lee-uh)

Although Ivan found websites which said the same thing he found some said December 25 may be for other reasons. For example before Christianity began there was the Jewish religion.

The Jewish people have had a celebration or holiday called Hannukah. It is also called the Feast of Dedication or the Festival of Lights.

Hannukah was first celebrated on December 25. Nowadays it is usually celebrated on days before or after December 25. Why? Because it is based on the moon instead of the sun.

Ivan found some other interesting things. As said, Jewish people still celebrate Hannukah. That day they have special lights, nice meals and toys for children, just like Christians do at Christmas!

The visitors had also said Santa Claus is not Christian. They had claimed he may have begun with stories about a wizard, meaning a male witch, who lived in the northern part of Russia.

They also said one of their magazines said Santa may even have begun with stories about an ancient god or goddess in China. They said the people who wrote their magazines sure had all the facts, all the Truth about this.

But Ivan quickly found out that Santa Claus had begun with a real person called Saint Nicholas. Nicholas used to give gifts to poor girls. He wore red because he was a bishop. A bishop is a person who teaches about God and carries a cane called a miter.

Ivan next read about the Christmas tree. Some websites said it had come from pagan customs but some others gave other reasons.

For example one talked about scholars. Those are people who study things in a careful, serious way then write about what they learned.

It said that scholars read many old writings. They now know that about 1,500 years ago in Europe people used to have church plays.

One play was about Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. In that Bible story there was a tree called the Tree of Paradise.

When people made the play about the Garden of Eden they used a pretty fir tree for the Tree of Paradise. They thought it was so pretty they put trees like it in their own homes.

Some of the people also began to put pretty things like candles on the trees. Nowadays we use Christmas lights instead of candles.

Did Ivan tell his aunt and uncle what he learned? Yes, he did. He also remembered to tell them the Bible itself says angels sang happy songs when Christ was born.

His aunt and uncle both told him thanks. They had been about to stop celebrating Christmas, but his information showed them that it is good to celebrate, and it reminded them that God wants people to be happy.

They told Ivan one of the people’s magazines had also said that celebrating New Year’s is wrong for Christians. They asked if he could find some information about that, too.

Ivan went on the internet again. He discovered that there is information at Leviticus 23 in the Bible.

There God began a New Year’s celebration for the Jewish people which is celebrated much earlier than when most other people celebrate it.

It was clear to Ivan that it’s okay to celebrate New Years, too. It’s not a good idea to drink too much or drink and drive then or at other times, but if we have a nice party and are careful, then it is also fine with God!

DANIEL AND DANIELA HELP OUT THEIR PARENTS

Daniel and Daniela were thirteen year old twins. Their parents were very nice people who wanted the whole family to worship God and tell other people about him.

In fact they taught Daniel and Daniela that God did not want them to salute flags. Why?

The parents said they knew from people they had studied the Bible with that when you salute a flag it is like worshipping the flag, and God want people to only worship God Himself.

So at school the twins did not salute the flag or say an oath of allegiance. One day another boy and girl named Tim and Carol asked them why.

Daniel and Daniela told them what their parents believe. Tim looked puzzled, but Carol smiled and said “I know your parents are good people and somebody told them that, but I can show you different. Can I?”

“You can try, sure. But later we’ll talk to our parents and they tell us stuff to teach you so you’ll know they are right. Our friends wouldn’t teach us anything but the Truth!”

“Yes, I’m sure they really mean to do just that. I’ve got an uncle and he gave me a little booklet about flags. Here, you read it, Daniela.”

Daniela began to read, “Well it says thousands of years ago the tribes of Israel left Egypt. Most nations back then had tiny idols high on poles in front of them as their symbols and to give them protection from pagan gods. But the Israelites wanted to honor God as Exodus 20:4 says. Instead they put flags on the top of their poles. Most Bible translations use the word banner which means a long flag. Psalms 20:5, the Song of Solomon 2:4, and 6:4,10 and many other Bible verses say many nice things about banners or flags. The Israelites and most all humans today think of flags and the oath of allegiance as symbols for showing natural love and respect for nations that God Himself allows to exist. They know flags and oaths of allegiance are not worship.”

“Wow!” said Tim. “That’s interesting! So the Bible itself shows you two guys can salute flags and say the oath of allegiance if you want to.”

Daniel and Daniela now looked puzzled. Daniel spoke, “Well, I guess maybe my parents never heard or thought about those scriptures. I’ll write them down and take them home for Mom and Dad to read.”

The twins did that. At first nothing changed. In fact about five more years passed when suddenly one day their father said, “Guess what, twins! Your mom and I see now that what we thought was the Truth isn’t after all.”

The twins were surprised but happy to finally hear this. Their mother quickly added:

“That’s right. You and your school friends helped us see a little better. It made us want to learn even more. So from now on you have freedom to salute and say an oath of allegiance if you want to. And thanks for setting us all free from that wrong information!”

Daniel and Daniela, now much taller smiled and began to dance around and around while singing out. “That used to make things very difficult for us at school, Mom and Dad. So we’re really glad now – glad, glad, glad! Not sad, sad, sad!”

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I suggest that you use your own judgment with regards to taking your son to church to 'counter' the JW influence. Church will be just as boring as a meeting and therefore worth rebelling against. And you can't just expect that he'll pick up some spiritual things just through osmosis, the way most of our parents thought we would when we were at the meetings all our dull childhood. Finally, if you can take him to church, why can't your husband or his family take him to the kingdom hall? Be very careful of setting a precedent.

• nelly136
    nelly136

as he's so young it might be best to keep it simple, equate it to something he can understand.

if you read fairy/children stories to him at home could just tell him theres nice ones and scary ones and auntie likes the scary ones.

then when hes been visiting you can ask him if aunties been reading any of her funny scary ones, if you make light of it and he can see youre not worried about aunties nasty stories maybe he wont be either.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Very few people become JWs that accurately know both sides of the JW story before getting caught up in it. If you make sure he knows the other side he will not fall for it. You are his mother so he will trust you when you explain that different people believe different things, and they are not always right.

As he gets older discuss some of the crazy things about the WTS. You can tell him some WTS stories, like how a long time ago, 130 years ago a man did not like anyone elses religion so he made up his own one. Then after a while he died and then a big scary man took over the religion and started to tell people if they didn't believe his religion that they would be killed. He even said that Jehovah is going to kill all the little babies. Do you think God wants to kill little babies? No of course not, Read from that scripture that the thought of sacrificing babies has never even entered God's mind. He will soon learn that there are two sides to the story and being a JW is on the strange unkind side.

• blondie
    blondie

This is a situation where control/custody legally is out of your hands for half the time. It is possible to respectfully ask that they not teach your son ideas that you don't agree with, but I know that the WTS teaches JWs to do that to "save" their child.

Think about this, your son is going to get older, be around other non-JW adults and children, go to school, etc. Do you think he will encounter ideas that you don't agree with? I would think so. Can you isolate him from the neighbors, other children, yank him out of school and teach him at home? You could, but that seems a little extreme, and I doubt you would do that.

The best thing to do is not over-react, not be negative out the JW family, give him positive ideas to think about (like jgnat illustrated).

Don't underestimate his love and respect for you and the power of your love and respect for him, no matter his age.

Love, Blondie

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Go down to your nearest Christian or religious bookshop and find a really nice bible story book.

I run a christian bookshop here in the UK and the WTS "Bible Story" book is hideous, dated and frankly embarressing. I swear that if I put a copy on our shelves it would never sell because it is awful.

I recommend "My Very First Bible" for a three year old. Find it at www.goodbks.com

Do a search on their homepage.

You'll both love it

• LivingInReality
    LivingInReality

touchy subject.... but if i may share my feelings as a mother of a 3 year old myself....i respect the feelings of others that you could just counter the effect of your JW ex-relatives by empowering your child with the ability to reason for himself but there is something more important to take into consideration....

your child is only 3... when he sees pictures in the "My Book of Bible Stories" of people on a rock as the flood waters are just about to swallow them up with faces of pure fear, or Lot's wife turned into a pillar of salt, or Jezebel getting thrown out a window for the dogs to eat her....(need I go on?)... this is not the shit you want your 3 year old to have to ponder over. These images are a brilliant strategy on the part of the society to begin their mind control through fear of our little ones.

Reason with your child all you want, but those are images and stories that a 3 year old will be affected by. As parents we don't let our kids watch blood and gutts movies, or see pictures of mutilated dead people etc. etc. Why would we allow pictures depicting a "loving" god killing people who didn't listen to him? No matter what you say to "undo" what he might see.... they are going to KEEP showing him the book, keep telling him stories, and keep trying to instill a fear in him.....

My vote is to put your foot down with the family.... this is YOUR child. It is YOUR responsibility to keep your little one free of all of the fear that those sick mind controlling cult members dish out to a child. I agree with all the others who said to get a restraining order and do whatever it is to make sure that they don't see your child again unless they stop. Give them the choice...if they don't listen, you gave them fair warning.

Remember something else here..... if they don't listen to you about leaving religion out of your child's life, they are disrespecting your right to raise your child.... and that sets a precedent for the rest of your child's life... do you want your child to eventually see that they have no respect for your role as the parent?? At first they don't listen to you about this....next it will be something else, and then something else... Put your foot down now and let them know that when you make a choice about the way your child will be raised, it's your choice to make and if they can't respect and abide by your rules...then there is no place for them in your child's life.

Good luck....

shannon

• Dawn
    Dawn

I was in a very similar situation when my son was little. He is now 20 and thank goodness was not snared into this religion - he's in College now and doing great. So hopefully I can pass on some of my advice to you - it worked for me and I believe it will work for you.

First and most importantly - keep the communication going with your son. Don't every get upset or he will not want to talk to you about what Auntie read to him or what some other family member told him. Just talk to him calmly and matter of fact like. I explained to my son many times that Grandma and Grandpa loved him and thought they were doing what was right, but they were wrong. They weren't doing it to be mean, they were just incorrect. This way he didn't feel like he had to choose between me or his gradarents and he didn't feel like he had to defend them or what they said. Then I'd share a bible story with him that reinforced what I was saying - for example, when they talked about him dieing at Armageddon, I read to him the story about how Jesus brought the children to him and said that people like them would inherit the kingdom. And I read to him the scripture that says the angels of children always have God's attention - it reinforced to him that God loved children and he shouldn't be afraid of God.

As he grew older, I was able to reason with him on a deeper level - and still kept the communication opened.

Witnesses are very good at creating discontent and using the situation to "prove" that they are being persecuted and that they're right. Don't fall into that trap - it will only make your son upset and confused. Always remain calm around him and reassuring.

You might also look into a church that has a good children's ministry/sunday school. These are VERY different from the meetings. The Sunday school I work in runs with this type of schedule:

15 minutes of small group (kids get together in a group of 5/6 with a teacher and share stories about their week - these are always with a focus on the weeks lesson like being kind to others, or doing what is right when it's hard) - kids love sharing stories - it's like show and tell

15 minutes of singing - kids love that too. They learn movements (sign language, dance, all kinds of stuff) to go with the songs so they have a lot of fun.

30 minutes of a story - sometimes it's a video we watch, sometimes we have people perform a play, and sometimes we have someone get up and tell a story with props or puppets

20 minutes of games or a craft project - again, the game or project always goes along with the lesson

Well- I hope this info helps you out. It worked for me!

• blondie
    blondie

Good suggestions, Dawn. And you have living proof that it can work.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit