help! family mbr reading my 3 yr old My Book of Bible Stories

by limbogirl 37 Replies latest jw friends

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

To all of you that responded on this thread: Thank You! Once again you've given me a lot to think about...

I think I will start by buying a children's bible story book for him that we can read together since this is clearly an interest of his and obviously he's being taught when not with me. This is going to be a hard exercise for me and I worry he'll eventually ask, "what do you believe, mama?" and what will I say?? Believe it or not, even after not being a jw for 8 years, it's impossible for me to embrace another belief system. Perhaps because of having "this is the truth, we are the only ones who are right" pounded into my head for so many years? I have no idea what I believe (other than the jws are NOT right). I don't even know where to begin looking for my belief system and frankly I wasn't too bothered by it until this issue with my son began surfacing.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the insight...I think Blondie touched on something that is so true....don't underestimate the love and respect of my son. I think because of the situation I'm in and the fact that I don't have full custody of him I get a bit insecure that he'll forget that I'm his mother and maybe he'll be swayed by his Aunt or some other person. I struggle with these feelings a lot. Silly, I know...

and can I just say...I love being a mom...I can't imagine life without my son. Funny how just a few years ago he didn't even exist and now there is this little tornado full of energy in the house. I'm amazed by him every day and so in love with him I can't even believe it sometimes.

Biker-Chic: surely you jest...he won't always think I'm a Goddess?? what?!?!

thank you all again! this forum is the best!!

• rebel8
    rebel8
    inform your SIL that you will beat her ass to a stump if she dares to read that to your son.

LOL. There are several reasons why this is inappropriate:

1. In pioneer school here in WT NY State, they told us in no uncertain terms we were not to witness to children w/o their parents' permission. We were instructed to heed the scriptures that say it is the parent's responsibility and we were not to interfere with that. (The one and only time I got someone to agree to a bible study was with a teen. I made her ask her parents' permission and she told me they said yes. When I arrived for the study, dad was there and fuming mad. Daughter did not have permission. I read him the scripture that says it is the parent's decision to make, said I definitely respected that, and left.)
    2. It is against social etiquette to teach religion in any form to someone else's child. Big time rude!
    3. It is a gigantic violation of appropriate interpersonal boundaries.

This woman is way out of line!

• truth about the last days
    truth about the last days

I should not worry about it, just answer his questions openly and honestly. Just like when he asked you if you were dying. Just answer him, no you are not. As he grows up, he will think and decide that what he has been taught by the other parent or family members have been lying to him. This will be a long term thing, and as mentioned before, do not use him as a pawn. At this early age, he will get confused at the different things that he will be taught by all members of the family. After each visit when he comes back to you, just ask him what happened on that day, so as to keep up with what he has been taught. According to the bible prophecy at 2 Thess 2 (not in NWT), the prophecy there mentions of many "falling away" due to the truths found within the books and mags- the bible story book is one. All those who remains as a JW will be destroyed apon Jesus arrival for that 1000YR reign. In due course, when he gets older, he will find the lies and decete within the religon, then he will decide for himself later on not to get involved within the teachings. I could also suggest that you also get a copy of the book and when he learns something from the book, go over it with him and also use the scriptures- you will not belive of how the storys in "my book of bible storys" do not tally up with what the scriptures say. I wish you every success between your relationship with your son.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

limbogirl,

I worry he'll eventually ask, "what do you believe, mama?" and what will I say??

What's wrong with telling him the honest truth about your beliefs, as gently as possible?

GentlyFeral

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I see nothing wrong with telling him you don't really know. And that nobody really knows for sure; none of it can be absolutely proved true. But a lot of people have ideas they think are true.

In reality it is a lot easier to what what NOT to believe than it is to know what TO believe

Truth even when you don't know all the answers is OK. Real truth that is; not the JW brand

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Your sister-in-law ought to read your son something a little less disturbing to start with - maybe a Stephen King novel.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I recommend buying a few fantastical, make-believe books (Where the Wild Things Are, etc.) and reading them with him. And emphasize that it is all make-believe. It is just pretend. Does he play make-believe games? Ever imitate an airplane or a favorite super-hero, for instance?

Does he like Finding Nemo? Start explaining that make-believe can be very fun, but sometimes it can be a little scary, like when the shark was trying to eat Nemo's daddy. It wasn't real, it was just pretend, but it was scary.

This can build a framework for later explaining that Auntie is playing a make-believe game, and that sometimes the game she is playing isn't very much fun at all.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• target
    target

My two little grandsons came home from their other Grandmother's house, the JW one, and were distraught that they were going to turn into piles of salt. I asked them to explain why they were worried about that and they told me how Grandma Cindy read them a story. So I just kind of brushed it off telling them that it is a fairy tale and not meant to be taken seriously. They seemed much releaved and have never brought it up again. Now they live in a different state than Grandma Cindy and she has been instructed by their parents to not talk religion in any shape or form to the children.

I did not want to get into a battle of the grandmothers so what I said came across as a "clarification" to them that it was a made up story.

Target

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit