Why Most Christians Can And Do Celebrate Birthdays

by wanda 32 Replies latest jw friends

• wanda
    wanda

On another thread they were talking about the lack of joy and mental health problems coming from JW kids not being allowed to participate at class dances, sports and so forth. The lack of the joyfulness of birthdays is another factor.

Why not leave some copies of this in your kingdom halls and assemblies if you still attend. If you no longer do, then put some where they can be found or mail or email them to those who are still JWs. Or even share copies with other exJWs who can use them this way.

WHY MOST CHRISTIANS CAN AND DO CELEBRATE BIRTHDAYS

Luke 2:6 says that angels celebrated Christ's day of birth, many who read first Job 1:3 and then Job 3:1,3 believe it is clear the banquet days Job's children celebrated were birthdays, and Jude 12 says the earliest Christians enjoyed balanced merriment at "love feasts."

Those against birthdays mis-say that in the Bible the only birthdays mentioned are in negative contexts, namely at the birthday of King Herod when he had John the Baptizer's head chopped off, and when an ancient Egyptian was slain. They are also wrong to say "mature" Christians don't celebrate birthdays.

In fact a birthday is a time for honoring the One who caused such happiness, the Creator of Life Himself, and it is also a way of showing the person who receives a birthday that they are loved, not "worshipped" as those against birthdays also sometimes say.

Galatians 5:22 says that one of the fruits of God's Holy Spirit is "joy..." or happiness, and so there is every reason to ignore such misinformation and continue in joyful celebration.

So, got a birthday coming? Romans 14 also shows we have Christian freedom to celebrate or not celebrate such days, so then, if so inclined, you are indeed free to enjoy it to the fullest!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses/

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is obviously no biblical reason for banning birthday celebrations but the JW leaders introduced such prohibitions in order to build invisible walls that will emotionally shut off their members from the rest of the world and place unnecessary burdens on them.

It means nothing if there happen to be two bad birthdays mentioned in the bible. That logic is faulty, bad things happen everywhere and everything would have to be banned by that reasoning.

• Hawkeye
    Hawkeye

Thanks for the info! Happy birthday to me on April 17th!! The first time I will celebrate in 12 years!!!!!

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Good for you Hawk! As of now I still haven't really celebrated my b-day. But I want so. It's October 9. Vegas anyone?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Hawkeye-

My birthday is April 18th! Happy b-day to both of us!!!

As far as the rest of you, I expect a BIG cake, many gifts, and lots of alcohol!! LOL

shelley

• cheen
    cheen

I know why JW’s don’t celebrate birthdays. They are afraid someone will offer them "head" as a gift!....get it? “head” lol

• IW
    IW

Hi Wanda,

I'm an exJW whose kids have never had a birthday party or birthday gifts. They did though...have plenty of love and lots of toys.

"Birthday" celebrations do not in themselves make a happy family. When I was a child my parents celebrated birthdays but that did not mean our family was a happy or balanced one.

Most families in the west celebrate birthdays, Christmas and Easter but that in itself does not make their family whole or happy.

Love makes a family. Not gifts or traditions....

Just my personal opinion,

IW

• blondie
    blondie

I understand what you are saying, IW. My father wasn't a JW and my mother was but my father never bought us any birthday presents and had any parties although we knew our mother would not get in the way. He was just a selfish man.

Celebrating birthdays and holidays don't guarantee love in a family. But if love is there, it is a way to enhance it or show it.

I can remember my non-JW friends would hope that their parents fighting, drinking, etc., would change somehow because of a birthday or a holiday. But the problem was deeper than anything a holiday could cure.

Blondie

• IW
    IW

Hi Blondie!

Yeah, there's more to happiness than a gift!

Hope all is well with you and yours. Long road.....hasn't it been?

Love to you,

IW

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

There is nothing wrong with celebrating birthdays, never has and never will. If the Witnesses wanted to ban something, they'd probably arrange for a murder to happen and then tell the flock they can't do it anywhere because in some obscure place a murder took place. These people have nothing else better to do is make up crap and then not let the rank and file have fun anymore. To take away a child's birthday is pure stupidity!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit