Why Most Christians Can And Do Celebrate Birthdays

by wanda 32 Replies latest jw friends

• IW
    IW

TresHappy,

The problem is "making up crap" is not restricted to the JWs. Inventing "crap" is the avocation of every group who has an agenda whether that agenda is religion, politics or the so called "scientific" pursuits.

"Buyer Beware," applies to every aspect of life!

IW

• blondie
    blondie

I hope your comment is due to something I posted, treshappy. I never meant to have anyone think that what I said meant that there was something wrong with celebrating birthdays.

Just that the love comes first, then celebrating comes as a result of that.

• Carmel
    Carmel

IW, you just provided the evidence that the JWs are no different than any other dysfunctional group, i.e. one with a screwed up agenda! Yes you see it in all walks of like, but the JWs would have you believe they are above it all and are some how unique!

carmel

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

wanda,

your post stated---"in fact a birthday is a time for honoring the one who caused such happiness, the creator of life himself,"...

i have celebrated many birthdays, and observed many being celebrated, and my experience is pretty much the same as blondie's.

but my question to you is...in what way is jehova honored in your celebrations? in my experience birthdays are absolutely about the individual.

i have never heard of any tradition in which god is honored or for that matter even mentioned in any way as part of the birthday celebration.

care to elaborate?

j2s

• IW
    IW

Carmel,

Jws are no different than most religions or nations. The Roman Catholics both raped and covered and ignored. Most do....

It's a fact that Asian boys and girls are forced into sexual slavery in order to serve at the pleasure of white European and American men. Also, women and girls are raped and sold to African men everyday. In South America child rape is nothing new.

Child molestation is a commodity not a crime in the real world....especially that part of the world that supplies our cheap goods!

Sure there's a problem among JWs.....just as I am quite sure there are sexual predators on this board.

IW

• wanda
    wanda

You share your joy with the child. Your joy is that you love the child.

And who gave you the child? God. So the joy and honor reflect back onto the Make of the child.

• Mary
    Mary
    Those against birthdays mis-say that in the Bible the only birthdays mentioned are in negative contexts.

What about when Jesus died? I'd say that was a pretty negative thing to happen, yet the Witnesses celebrate it every year....

They are also wrong to say "mature" Christians don't celebrate birthdays.

If that was the case, then I guess Charles Russell wasn't a "mature Christian" cause he sure as hell celebrated birthdays.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Good post wanda.

Most JWs will tell you "there are only two birthdays celebrated in the bible - Pharaoh's and Herod's”.

In denigrating anything that celebrates an individuals life, JWs completely overlook the biggest celebration in the bible - that of Jesus birth

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

But Mary CT Russell wasn't a Jehovah's Witness!

• wombat
    wombat

I W.... Hang on... we're talking about singing "Happy Birthday" to our kiddies and suddenly you're talking about child molestation, sex slavery, evil Western men taking advantage of Asian children.

Maybe I missed something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit