Elders have no manners

by Jez 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jez
    Jez
    Do you realize that elders have their own families to care for and the majority have full time jobs to tend to? Do you realize the pressure of caring for 80 to 100 publishers? Do you realize that they also get tired and fatigued? Do you realize that they are humans? Do you realize what it takes to prepare the different assignments for the meetings? All this without adding judicial committees, shepearding calls or service.

Right, so why waste their precious time on 'taking chances' that ppl will be home or answer? The logical thing would be that they would make definite appointments in in advance and in doing so, best utilize their time. But, they don't, therefore, there must be another reason why they pounce. One elder even had the audacity to walk around the entire exterior of my house! I didn't want to answer the door, and felt like I had to hide!! GIVE ME A CHANCE TO BE PRESENTABLE and PREPARED. So incredibly inconsiderate. Jez

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Haha, Jez, clearly people who want an appointment and don't answer their doors to prowling elders are hiding something! Why do you need to know ahead of time they are coming? That is what they think! Do you need to hide something, or are you nervous about something they might see if you don't have time to prepare your house?

The Shepherds of Jehoopla's flock should not be turned away from the doorstep, this in not appreciative or loving, is it! This attitude in itself shows you bear further scrutiny, bla-bla.

• daystar
    daystar

I've been watching this thread and a certain rather sad thought kept creeping to the foreground, but I would push it away. But...

Why do you need to know ahead of time they are coming? That is what they think! Do you need to hide something, or are you nervous about something they might see if you don't have time to prepare your house?

My JW mother is exactly like this. Since we were children she would snoop around, trying to catch us doing anything. No matter how many times we were being perfectly innocent, the one time she caught us validated her each and every invasion into our privacy.

"Why do you need to close your <whatever>? Are you trying to hide something?" ARGHHH!!!

She would make an excellent elder.

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

Jez: I agree with you on that one, but paybe the thread should be labeled "My local elders have no matters"

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    My JW mother is exactly like this. Since we were children she would snoop around, trying to catch us doing anything. No matter how many times we were being perfectly innocent, the one time she caught us validated her each and every invasion into our privacy.

"Why do you need to close your <whatever>? Are you trying to hide something?" ARGHHH!!!

I had the same parents. It's so sad daystar, that we grew up thinking like that. When all you look for in a person is flaws, you will find it. What are we focused on yanno?

I went to a marriage retreat this weekend with my church and one of the things that we discussed was "waiting" for the other person to screw up. When we do that, one of the reasons it's done is to satisfy our own insecurities of how much better we are than that person. We are so focused on them and their glaring issues, that we don't have to (or want to) focus on our own. That whole "rafter in your own eye" issue.

• bennyk
  • blondie
    blondie

Well, SOJ, many congregations have 5 elders and if there are 100 publishers, they each have only 20 to shepherd and we can assume that there are less if each elder has a wife and one child.

5 elders, 85 publishers then, making 1 elder to 17 publishers.

Most elders are assigned to a book study and those JWs are their responsibility. It is not necessary for them to call on all 85, just the 17 in their book study.

It would make more sense if they would make appointments if they are so busy.

(Amos 3:3) "‘Will two walk together unless they have met by appointment?

The polite and caring thing is to try to make an appointment first.

Blondie

• Honesty
    Honesty

They always called me before they knocked on the door.

Yeppirs, from their cell phones while they were sitting in my driveway.

I'm glad I have Caller ID and recognised their #'s.

• greater_freedom
    greater_freedom

Yes, they are so... busy. They have their own families to care for. They have golf, cookouts, Cubs games, talks away where they get a free lunch, and oh yes sheperding... just before the CO comes so they look like the 'perfect' congo!

• codeblue
    codeblue

I don't ANSWER my door unless someone has called me and I welcome their visit...

Try that... life will be better for you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit