Why all the fuss about 607 and 1914?

by rockhound 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Without 1914, the 1919 date cannot be arrived at when the WTS says that God and Jesus selected them as the only true religion.

Don't underestimate the power of the Society to conjure up any date they want from the Bible, or slide by without any biblical justification for a date as they have already done with respect to 1935.

• gumby
    gumby
    Don't underestimate the power of the Society to conjure up any date they want from the Bible, or slide by without any biblical justification for a date as they have already done with respect to 1935.

...but.....but....I thought when Jesus said "I have other sheep that are not of this fold".. he WAS talking about 1935!!!!? LYIN BASTARDS!

Gumby

• blondie
    blondie

I don't underestimate them at all.

Who thought 40 years ago that the doctrine of the 1914 generation still being here when the end came would be eliminated in 1995?

But they do have to come up with something if they get rid of the 1914 date......and probably after most of the JWs have died that remember. The WTS tends to stop mentioning certain doctrines they want to forget and the rank and file to forget.

They did that fairly effectively with 1874 and the 7,000 year long creative day.

I don't underestimate them at all.

Blondie

• Swan
    Swan

I can't understand how JWs can say "What's all the fuss?" Every 492 page lime or fuchsia covered book in the 1950's, 1960's, or 1970's written by Freddie Franz went into elaborate and mind numbing detail to prove this chronology, and how because only JWs followed this chronology, only JWs had the true religion. Where were these people during the countless hours of Thursday night book study? Were their brains out to lunch? Apparently.

This chronology is the central issue upon which their whole claim to being Jehovah's chosen people in this day and age is based! Without 607 BCE, there is basis for Christ's return in 1914! Without 1914, there is no basis for the selection of the imprisoned anointed ones being chosen as the only people on earth qualified to be Christ's chosen spokespersons in 1919! The prophecy of the secretary's ink horn falls flat on it's face! Without that, all of the doctrine and claims of being the true remnant of Christ's followers is balderdash!

They are so pathetic!

Tammy

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

If the wts changed the 1914 doctrine, they would undoubtedly lose some of their membership, but perhaps not many. Most of them are too brainwashed to question anything that comes from Brooklyn, and a lot probably wouldn't understand the significance anyway. It would be like the "generation" change. I was a little bit shaken by that one, but carried on anyway for another 10 or so years, but a lot didn't bat an eyelid. I doubt if more than 10 - 20% of the congregation I was in then even saw it as much of a change, and hardly any of them, including most of the elders, attached too much significance to it.

To change the 1914 doctrine would probably create more of a stir, but the majority would most likely stay in the spiritual comfort zone they have built for themselves and carry on regardless. They would probably be relieved in some way, it would be one less thing for people to challenge them over, and the majority of jws I have known don't like challenges to their beliefs, especially on matters like 1914 where there is doubt over the dating method they used to arrive at it.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the gb did change the chronology, but if they did I'd expect them to do it gradually, to dampen down the significance of what was happening.

just my two penneth

Linda

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

it's kind of like the time i called bethel and asked if they joined the UN. when they said yes i told my mother that bethel admitted to it. she said, "well i'm sure they had a good reason" and thought nothing more of it, as far as i know. when someone is not ready to receive information, it just bounces off them. hearing something certainly does not mean understanding or acceptance of something.

bethel

• heathen
    heathen

I think the big fuss is that the WTBTS is the only source that states the fall of Judah took place in 607 BCE. They derive that from Daniel 4 and the seven times or years that king nebuchadnezzar was to become a beast in the field . There really is no evidence to support the 7 times 360 . Further more Chaz Russell was wrong on that date several times and also was wrong on the millenial reign several times . Jeeze now let's stand and be astonished at how stupid people are for not believing the WTBTS. It's like when a used car salesman lies to you about one car and you see the flaw yourself then wants to sell you another one still claiming to be honest. (actually had that happen to me)

• Honesty
    Honesty

The WTBTS stated in 1877 and also in 1889 that 606 B.C. E. was when Jerusalem was destroyed.

When they figured out that they had forgot that there is no 'zero' year they changed the date to 607 B.C.E.

It is all in the "Revelation IT's GRAND CLIMAX AT HAND" book on page 105 in the box "1914 Foreseen"

They try to pass this off in the footnote at the bottom of the box as "later, when research made it necessary to adjust B.C. 606 to 607 B.C.E.".

Can any JW explain what that research entailed and who did the research?

The Babylonian Cylinder in the British Museum of History correlates perfectly with Assyrian Astronomical Charts from the same time period and they all say 586 B.C.

The WACKTOWER has managed to do what no politician or government has ever achieved in human history:

Deceive 90% of their adherents with a line of ever changing dates, predictions and promises for over 100 years.

• heathen
    heathen
    When they figured out that they had forgot that there is no 'zero' year they changed the date to 607 B.C.E.

I was lmao @ that . What a bunch of geniuses we have there .

• undercover
    undercover

I remember that being covered in book studies and other meetings from time to time over the years. And my cult-numbed brain never thought to question why the end date didn't change instead of the historical date.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit