Why all the fuss about 607 and 1914?

by rockhound 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rockhound
    rockhound

"So what's the big deal about the date 607 B.C. being off by 20 years?" "That was a long time ago, and I can't see where it really matters"

Many of us have heard comments like the above when we tell our friends, and relatives our concerns about the society's chronology that is used to arrive at the year 1914. "Can't you just put this all behind you, and come back to the meetings?" seems to be their way of solveing this problem. Maybe we could just spray "WINDEX" on this problem ( like in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding") and this whole problem would disappear.

As the book

"The Gentile Times Reconsidered" states: " Few people are fully cognizant of the very central role played by chronology in the claims and teachings of the Watch Tower Society. Even many of Jehovah's Witnesses are not fully aware of the indissoluble connection between the Society's chronology and the message they preach from door to door. Confronted by the many evidences against their chronology, some Jehovah's Witnesses tend to downplay it as something they somehow can do without. "Chronology is not so important, after all," they say. Many Witnesses would prefer not to discuss the subject at all. Just how important, then, is the chronology for the Watch Tower organization?" " An examination of the evidence demonstrates that it constitutes the very foundation for all the claims and message of this movement."

As we can see from the following statement, the date 1914 constitutes the very core of the "Good News" that over six million witnesses faithfully preach from door to door, world wide.

"Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah's Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah's Witnesses is really "gospel" or "good news," as of God's heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914." (Watchtower, May 1, 1981, p. 17)

A Jehovah's Witness who attempts to down play the role of chronology by making comments like the above, simply does not realize that he or she is radically undermining the major message of the "Good News" as it is preached by the society today.

Have you personally looked at the evidence yourself ?

The date 607 is being, and has been rejected by "all but the most blindly devoted". The society has been playing a shell game ( three walnut shells and a bean under just one, you guess under which shell the bean is to be found) with the year 1914 for over 100 years and whole books have been written about the importance of it. Ideology has confronted reality, and ideology has bent, and that's why most witnesses would rather this inconsistency would just go away.

ROCKHOUND

• KW13
    KW13

an informative post. thanks

• Dune
    Dune

There isnt a doubt in my mind that the WTBS can change the 1914 date and not lose more than 25% of their followers.

In fact, i think the WTBS is gearing the RF for a change very soon. This week's watchtower proves that something is coming. And it might be big.

• KW13
    KW13

Dune i'd love to know what you think it might be?

• Legolas
    Legolas

Yep it is funny that they can't see the forest for the tree's isn't!

I remember being out in service (

So I now say the same to them...How come they can't see the truth about the 'Truth'!

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

What's in this week's WT?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Great post, Rockhound!

Timeline per current JW doctrine holds that:

(1) Since Penetcost 33 CE, there has always been a representative Channel of anointed on earth through whom God has dispensed spiritual truth.

(2) In the 1870s, God began using the Bible Students to proclaim the coming of Christ.

(3) The first Watchtower proclaimed that Christ arrived in 1874 and was enthroned as king in 1878.

(4) Jesus arrived and returned as king in 1914.

(5) In 1914, Jesus began a search and measuring of those claiming to be his servants. Apparently, he and his Father were playing a game of Hide and Seek, because he didn't already know the Channel that God was using at the time.

(6) Jesus selected his Faithful and Discreet Slave in 1919, even though they already were his Father's Channel for communication. The only reason he couldn't accept them in 1914 was because he had to punish them first, for their lack of neutrality in worldly affairs—one of the marks of false religion that would exclude a religion from God's blessing or from being used by God (see point #2).

(7) These Faithful and Discreet ones are responsible for providing food at the proper time.

(8) The heavenly calling stopped by 1935.

(9) The corporate heads of the Society became the Governing Body, the entity that actually provides all the food and has all the authority (see point #7).

(10) The two most recent Governing Body members are in their 50s. Which is strange because 2005 - 40 = 1965 which would put these new appointees at younger than 20 if they began partaking in 1965 (see point #8) despite the current doctrine that any after 1935 would have had many years of faithful service before beginning to partake. But maybe they just started partaking recently.

I think these are very interesting points.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• gumby
    gumby

"So what's the big deal about the date 607 B.C. being off by 20 years?" "That was a long time ago, and I can't see where it really matters"
    w59 5/1 p. 269 pars. 6-7 Attain Completeness in the New World Society

.........." it is therefore necessary to obey the organization that he is personally directing. Doing what the organization says is to do what he says. Resisting the organization is to resist him".

I'll tell a witness what the big deal is. It's a big deal that members of this cult must abide by interpretations given by a few men who have a 100% failure rate with their dates.....607 included.

Gumby

• blondie
    blondie

Without 1914, the 1919 date cannot be arrived at when the WTS says that God and Jesus selected them as the only true religion.

Blondie

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

yeah...i want to know why you think a big change is coming?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit