What is the best question to ask a j.w. during a Bible study?

by hubert 35 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Here's what will happen.

You will get armed with these really good questions for your conductor. The conductor will not know how to answer your questions because your questions are not questions the Jehovah's Witness normally answer. They answer questions that come from their publications....nothing else( in 99% of the cases)

Next, your conductor will no doubt tell someone else who's a bit sharper than your conductor is to maybe sit in on the next study to answer your hard questions. Then, the one the conductor brought along will tell the conductor( after the study is over and you leave the house), to not waste too much time with these questions if the householder isn't responsive to your answers provided by the "slave".

Witnesses don't spend much time with those that don't swallow the witness message. In times past they had a 6 month study program in which if the study hadn't progressed (eg; coming to meetings, abandoning old habits/practices.....then the study was to be dropped. Be careful how you handle this

Gumby

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, gumby, I might point out that currently the WTS is in the 2 publication, don't rush them, phase. They tried the one publication when the Knowledge book came out and the JWs they turned out did not have that lasting quality...became inactive pretty quick.

Don't worry about the JW acknowledging they are convinced or backing off. I didn't and it took 10 more years before I left..but it got me thinking.

Blondie

• gumby
    gumby
    BTW, gumby, I might point out that currently the WTS is in the 2 publication, don't rush them, phase.

Thanks Blondie....I didn't know this. Which 2 books do they suggest?

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Why is it that every passage in the NT (Christian Greek Scriptures) that speaks of being born again says that ALL WHO BELIEVE IN JESUS can be born again, with no mention of limiting this experience to a mere 144,000 people? (If the JW argues about this, ask him or her to show you a single passage that limits this experience to the 144,000)

(Read John 5:1---Everyone who believes....; John 3:1-21, verses 3,7...then 'whoever believes in Him"; John 1:12,13...even to those who believe in His name)

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    First, you want to avoid raising the "apostate" flag which can happen with some questions.

Second, try for a question that requires that you both use the Bible to discuss rather than any outside material including WT publications.

That could be hard. I would stick to the points being discussed in the study if I could.

Cool no problemo.

Here's a question that I found in one reference:

Why is it that every passage in the NT (Christian Greek Scriptures) that speaks of being born again says that ALL WHO BELIEVE IN JESUS can be born again, with no mention of limiting this experience to a mere 144,000 people? (If the JW argues about this, ask him or her to show you a single passage that limits this experience to the 144,000)

(Read John 5:1---Everyone who believes....; John 3:1-21, verses 3,7...then 'whoever believes in Him"; John 1:12,13...even to those who believe in His name)

What the? Sorry, I can't see it working Blondie;

study conductor: Yes hubert?

hubert: Why is it that every passage in the NT (Christian Greek Scriptures) that speaks of being born again says that ALL WHO BELIEVE IN JESUS can be born again, with no mention of limiting this experience to a mere 144,000 people?

Study Conductor: Thinks: " Holy Shit! an Apostate!!!mmm or is he a born again nutter? mmm in either case, I'll have to keep an eye on this bloke" Says '-----------(stock answer from reasoning™ book----).

===

My turn. Start shallow I say.

study conductor: Yes hubert?

hubert: I was just wondering why we don't have tea and cake after the meetings like they do at council meetings and in other churches.

• blondie
    blondie

Excuse me, 1 booklet, 1 book

Require brochure

What Does the Bible Really Teach book

(they do recommend the new Worship book too)

They had a phase a few years before we left (2002) where it was one book, the Knowledge book, and rush, rush, rush. But I think that bit them in the behind.

They haven't forgotten that experience so far. I think they were trying to recreate those days when the Truth book came out in 1968 and the 6 month program was installed. But without a corresponding date for the time of the end like 1975, it had no momentum. Interestingly, the Knowledge book had very little on the Trinity or birthdays and the new Worship book dropped the chapter on blood.

I admit that many JWs are totally unable to conduct a study and model it after the book study or WT study. I was trained by a wonderful woman that was truly a teacher of the Bible. I learned more on her studies than her students ever did.

Blondie

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

I'm with Wombat. The DF/reinstatement doctrine is so man-made and causes so much grief.

It is supposedly based on 2 scriptures. 1 Cor 5:11 and 2 John 10. If one looks closely at the context, it can be easily seen how the WTS goes way beyond anything intended by those scriptures.

There are so many questions that could be asked which can only be answered by citing organizational policy.

B

• trevor
    trevor

We ask the Questions

Before I was baptised I had to answer questions such as:

“Why should you be willing to preach the good news to all kinds of people in your territory?

Why should you take most seriously your responsibility to share the good news with others?

Whose teaching and instruction is given at congregation meetings?

In addition to any material contributions to advance the good news, what should we offer that is even more important?

What pattern set in ancient Israel serves as a model for giving material support to the Kingdom work today?”

The questions selected above relate to what is expected of baptism candidates rather than those relating to the beliefs that must be accepted. In all there were 122 questions that had to be answered correctly. They are shown in full in the book “Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry.” Should any answers fail to meet with approval, the candidate had to agree to further study and apply at a later date when he or she could try again.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

A simple honest question that if you dig will show the BS.

Q: My nephews birthday is coming up. What should I do?

Get them to show you from the bible where it explicitly says 'don't do it!'

They will show you their literature on the subject.

Then the second question: So, why is it that I have to follow the societies literature, rather than the bible.

steve

• blondie
    blondie

Unclebruce,

I think I did mention that it was highly doubtful you would "win" the discussion but could create some doubt in the JW mind and help the student perhaps start thinking.

The 2 non-JW people I had been studying for some time when they asked me to prove Jesus was Michael. Now I knew that the WTS believed that but what I discovered was that there was little scriptural proof to back it up. Now did I say that to these people, no, I dutifully gave them the WT answer. But I started thinking differently about the WTS and its "proof" about things and started digging deeper on everything.

BTW, I never taught that doctrine again to anyone.

I doubt that there is any one point that is going to magically change any hard-core or even so-so JW in one discussion.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit