What is the best question to ask a j.w. during a Bible study?

by hubert 35 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

I doubt that there is any one point that is going to magically change any hard-core or even so-so JW in one discussion. --------------------

Sighs sadly, yeah, we are looking for the magic bullet. There doesn't seem to be just one. From all my time studying the jw's and the boards and reading the human wreckage stories, there seems to be as many reasons for jw's leaving as there are jw's. I guess we need one of those slow exploding internal kind of bullets (or are those just in the movies?)

• osmosis
    osmosis

I don't have a good question to ask (fortunately, my parents divorced when I was young and I went to the non-JW side of the family -- phew, close call) as I'm remarkably ignorant as to what is actually in the bible.

One thing is worth mentioning though, if you do choose to challenge a JWs beliefs in any way, do so as gently and kindly as possible, for a variety of reasons.

One is that you will have a greater impact on them if you do not "attack" them or their beliefs. JWs are used to being attacked and have automated mental defences against it. Best not to get their guard up, then they might accidentally listen. Mind control is largely about social protocol; The more they identify with you socially, the more impact you will have.

Another is for the sake of human decency. That poor sap actually believes that crap, otherwise there's no way s/he would ever tolerate the crappy predicament they're in. They're a victim, and victims need help and compassion.

Best thing to do is just ask them questions they can't answer. Be as gentle as possible and call them brother or sister, join them in their quest for "truth". Don't necessarily agree with them, just suggest that their version doesn't quite satisfy and maybe they should study a bit more. Make clear the distinction between them as individuals and the WTS. Let them recite WT BS, but know when they hesitate to answer or stumble over their words, you have successfully planted the seeds of doubt.

• Clam
    Clam

Te last time they knocked at my front door I asked two young sisters how on earth their faith could interpret Acts 21:25 as follows:

"...But as for the gentiles who have become believers, we have sent them a letter telling them we decided that they must not eat any food that has been offered to idols, or the primary components of blood—namely red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma. However fractions of all primary components are permitted. Having said that, when it comes to fractions of any of the primary components, each Christian, after careful and prayerful meditation, must conscientiously decide for himself. “

They said they would get back to me on that one. I felt sorry for them. It's a fine balance between undermining their ideas and encouraging them to "test the truth".

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Hubert,

The question that is simply but un-answerable for the Jw is re: Jesus/Michael coming to earth via HolySpirit in Marys womb:

What was "it" that was transfered to Marys womb? Either answer devolepes a serious virus of theology.

• google_mE
    google_mE

How about . . .

"If my tooth or gums start to bleed, and I accidentally swallow, will I be guilty of eating blood ?"

-mE

• greendawn
    greendawn

Why do the JWs centre everything about jehovah and basically ignore Jesus though he is the direct head of the Church? And why do they call themselves the organisation of jehovah and not the church of Christ, since as they claim they are Christians? Isn't it strange to call yourself a Christian and not be part of the New Covenent?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit