Big Love: Polygamy Loves Company

by rebel8 47 Replies latest social entertainment

• Swan
    Swan

Bill's step-mothers (I guess that's what you would call them) referred to Condi Rice as "uppity." Gee, that sounds familiar. I remember the JWs making similar comments, thought they were more sexist than racial. They were often complaining about women not knowing their place.

Candidly, my dog Coco (see avatar, left) did not like that little "demon dog." She growled and jumped at the TV whenever that little terror was on screen.

Tammy

• Swan
    Swan

Darn! Only 3 episodes left!

Did anyone catch the symbolism in this episode? Nicki's in hot water and the lobsters are in hot water. The lobsters are stinking up Bill's life. The lobsters bring a black cat into the garage to cut across Bill's path. Remember the vision of the wolf in the garage from earlier in the season? Bill and Don talking about their run of bad luck lately. The Act of God the insurance adjuster talked about.

That Nicki is so screwed up! I don't know whether to hate her or feel sorry for her. It seems like the only real pleasure other than shopping that she gets out of life is manipulating other people. What else can you expect of being raised in a family where they can drive you to a city 200 miles away and drop you off on the street. Their version of disfellowshipping.

Also, Nicki told Bill it was her Dad (Roman) who was behind his Dad (Frank) taking him to downtown SLC and leaving him there to fend for himself at age 14. Apparently Roman feared Bill because of his grandfather being a prophet and his charisma and leadership abilities. So your cult leader tells you to abandon your child and you obey. Gee, doesn't that sound familiar?

Barb had a great line. When Bill was questioning Barb's loyalty in keeping Nicki's confidence, she told Bill he was forgetting that she was married to two other people!

Poor Margene. I feel they all need counseling, but she needs it most of all. Her getting set up on a date with that pushy Mormon nerd was really hilarious. And then finding out someone voted against her. Too funny! She wants to belong so badly, but she always feels like she's out of the loop. She even identified with Betty, the lady Don wanted to be his fourth wife.

And what about Betty being involved in all of those cults? The Unification Church (the Moonies), the Bahgwan (in Oregon), and there was another I don't remember. Now she wants to marry into a family of Mormon polygamists. What should that be telling them?

Heather's dad, the State Trooper showed up and was introduced to the Henricksons. And Heather wants to run for public office someday. (Vote for Pedro! :-D)

And what about next week? Was Margene smoking a cigarette in front of Teeny? I thought those things were against the rules!

Tammy

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Did anyone catch the symbolism in this episode?

Cool! A "Big Love" thread.

Yeah, that's one thing I like about the series is they'll throw some interesting symbolism in. I also liked the little touch about the thunder and lighting and then Roman shows up (and opening a black umbrella indoors). Or the two of them arguing of the pit of fire (being in hell).

Do you get the feeling that Bill was angry with Nickie for more than the money? I mean it felt like this was a long time in coming (although hiding $60,000 in credit card debt is a big deal).

I agree with you about Margie. But were you tense when she had dinner with that Mormon guy? BTW didn't he look like a dead on picture of a pioneer or Bethelite? Yeesh, sometimes kinda scary how similar the two sects are. I couldn't help feeling sorry for him though. He looked totally clueless about women and here he was going out with a married woman and didn't know it! Poor Ben, getting grilled by Margie about being voted on and the poor guy (in typical clueless male fashion) didn't have the sense to pretend ignorance.

You know, I can't help but feel that the state trooper is the story setup and the payoff will be that their polygamous marriage will be exposed.

Okay a couple of questions: Was Roman really behind the state confiscating his land for the third store? And if so, why? Just to screw him over? Now was the agreement that Roman would get (under the table) 15% of the second store only? Or the whole thing?

Bill needs to slow down on the third store though. He should consolidate what he's got. You get the feeling he's headed for disaster.

Yes I think it was Margie smoking (is that banned in the Mormon sect?). But Nina thought she saw Margie kissing someone else. I'll have to watch it again tonight and pause it, to make sure of what I see.

You know, Roman is going to want something for those payments he's been making. Maybe a 15th wife? Maybe Bill's oldest daughter?

Chris

• undercover
    undercover

My favorite part in last night's episode was when Bill's friend was telling him about Betty, his future/former fourth wife's involvement with the Moonies and several other "cults". I kept waiting for him to say, "and she studied with the Witnesses too." To which Bill could have said, "oh no, not the Witnesses too. That's terrible". LOL....oh well, it would have been nice if it had been written that way.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i thought maybe the comments about bills grandfather was to set up a future take over by bill of the prophet. maybe next season?

i laughed my butt off at nikki mentioning a shelter..then at the end she pulls out a hotel reciept..she's such a schemer!

• Swan
    Swan
    Yes I think it was Margie smoking (is that banned in the Mormon sect?)

Yes, it is. They don't even drink coffee.

Do you get the feeling that Bill was angry with Nickie for more than the money?

Yes. I think he resents having to marry her even though he does love her. I think he wants to be married to her, but resents that it wasn't entirely a free choice on his part.

You know, I can't help but feel that the state trooper is the story setup and the payoff will be that their polygamous marriage will be exposed.

I think the writers have done very well at setting up several possible ways to expose them. It will be interesting to see which avenue they choose.

You know, Roman is going to want something for those payments he's been making. Maybe a 15th wife? Maybe Bill's oldest daughter?

Sarah doesn't have much control over her environment and the family dynamic, but I can't see her doing that. I think she would rebel against it. I also don't think Bill would do it after what Roman's pulled, and I don't think Barb or Lois would stand for it either.

I agree with you about Margie. But were you tense when she had dinner with that Mormon guy? BTW didn't he look like a dead on picture of a pioneer or Bethelite? Yeesh, sometimes kinda scary how similar the two sects are. I couldn't help feeling sorry for him though. He looked totally clueless about women and here he was going out with a married woman and didn't know it! Poor Ben, getting grilled by Margie about being voted on and the poor guy (in typical clueless male fashion) didn't have the sense to pretend ignorance.

No, I laughed through it. I find often their most uncomfortable situations very funny. Margene's character is especially played for laughs and I find myself laughing with her as much as at her. When the Mormon nerd put the moves on her in front of the kids though, that was a little creepy.

I also like reading her blog. It is very funny. Her screen name is Margini. http://boards.hbo.com/forum.jspa?forumID=700000143

Ben is clueless about a lot of things, and a great deal less savvy than Sarah about the problems going on in the family. He thinks he wants to be a polygamist to, but I think he just thinks that because he's horny. He needs to be real careful around Margene though. He is on really shaky ground whenever they play together.

Tammy

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Oh, that scene with the kids watching Margene was HILARIOUS!!! I wonder if Nicki's boys are going to say something innocently about it and get Margene in trouble.

I'm going to hate waiting for new episodes.

Nina

• rebel8
    rebel8

undercover, lol, I was thinking the same thing!

Too back Nicki's manipulation worked. The only one who isn't too gullible to see through her constant manipulative behavior is Margene.

Apparently Roman feared Bill because of his grandfather being a prophet and his charisma and leadership abilities. So your cult leader tells you to abandon your child and you obey. Gee, doesn't that sound familiar?

I googled to find out more about this show. 1 web site said this (fictitious) cult has a practice of dropping off all young boys in the city to ensure the young girls remain available for the older men, aka Roman and his pubescent bride. ICK. The site said this will be discussed in a future show. I wasn't sure if it was for real or just someone's guess.

That really gives me the creeps b/c we had some may-december stuff going on in my cong. Although I was never aware of any physical contact occurring before marriage, emotional involvement with young teens is totally disgusting and perverted. Yet I was the only one saying it was wrong. Everyone else thought it was perfectly ok and assumed I was speaking against it b/c of jealousy. What whacks. To this day I often think of one couple & still feel so sorry they were involved....it really sickens me, even now.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Yes. I think he resents having to marry her even though he does love her. I think he wants to be married to her, but resents that it wasn't entirely a free choice on his part.

Yeah they've mentioned that once or twice. I'd like to hear a few more details about how they ended up together. I wonder if that was tied to Roman's loan to Bill for the store. I think it's safe to say that Nickie has ... issues.

Sarah doesn't have much control over her environment and the family dynamic, but I can't see her doing that. I think she would rebel against it. I also don't think Bill would do it after what Roman's pulled, and I don't think Barb or Lois would stand for it either

Well if it happens (and I'm not sure it would) I think it would be a forced arrangement. Sarah has her eyes wide open and clearly wants nothing to do with the polygamous lifestyle. In a lot of ways I think she's one of the more aware people in that family. BTW do you think her friend (what's her name?) is gay? I wondered that after she appeared out of nowhere to pick her up after Sarah passed out at that party. Can you imagine drinking Robitussin to get a buzz?

No, I laughed through it. I find often their most uncomfortable situations very funny. Margene's character is especially played for laughs and I find myself laughing with her as much as at her. When the Mormon nerd put the moves on her in front of the kids though, that was a little creepy.

No I meant tense in a comic way. Actually Margie's character is one of my favorites (close between she and Barb). I don't think we've seen the last of him though. If Bill flipped out over a $60,000 credit card debt, what will he say when he finds out his wife went out on a date.

Ben is clueless about a lot of things, and a great deal less savvy than Sarah about the problems going on in the family. He thinks he wants to be a polygamist to, but I think he just thinks that because he's horny. He needs to be real careful around Margene though. He is on really shaky ground whenever they play together.

Yeah I can see that too. Ben, like most 15 year old boys, needs to be hosed down with cold water. That would be an interesting plot twist wouldn't it? Especially if she ended up pregnant.

Chris

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

oh..forgot to mention laughing at the woman who came over to play the accordian.

that whole scene cracked me up

remember wholesome music at jw gatherings? slim whitmans biggest audience i think lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit