XXJW's...Dem's or Rep's??? Why?

by upside/down 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

Whoever will lower my taxes and lessen the goverment's power, I'm for them. Republicans seem to stand for that, but I think both parties have become the same. They are Repulicats and Demicans. With campaign reform, you are forced to vote for the rich, plain and simple.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    The "media" is by leaps and bounds...pro Dem.

Let me guess you watch Fox News because its "fair and balanced (tm)". It is rather silly to sugggest the "media" has Democrat bias as if it were a monolithic entity which selflessly obstains from presenting a juicy expose' on a Democratic scandal. Were you not around when Clinton was being publicly flayed?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hmm well if I would have voted in the last two elections I would have voted for Bush only because at the time he seemed like the least patrician of the two. Now I want to gag every time I see his war pig mug.

I am very disillusioned by both parties. I've been watching this stuff since around '93. I like to listen to the conservos as well as the Rhodes- she is fucking awesome, and Frankins. Whichever party is in power seems to be the most corrupt.

I have no problem with partisan politics. Hell thats what parties are for. When my party is elected to power, we do things our way. If we screw up, your party gets elected to power and you do things your way. (Thats how its supposed to work, unless there is some redistricting, then all bets are off)

So I guess Im a demlicon, or is it a republicrat? I never can remember. I think I'll just vote up to state elections and tell the feds to piss off. I aint voting for anyone they have to offer. Unless Alan Keys runs for pres. he already has my vote, no wait Ralph Nader. No wait, Keys. No wait Nader.

Generals gathered in their masses, just like witches at black masses. Evil minds that plot destruction, sorcerers of death's construction. In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning. Death and hatred to mankind, poisoning their brainwashed minds. Oh lord, yeah! Politicians hide themselves away. They only started the war. Why should they go out to fight? They leave that role to the poor, yeah. Time will tell on their power minds, making war just for fun. Treating people just like pawns in chess, wait till their judgement day comes, yeah. Now in darkness world stops turning, ashes where the bodies burning. No more War Pigs have the power, Hand of God has struck the hour. Day of judgement, God is calling, on their knees the war pigs crawling. Begging mercies for their sins, Satan, laughing, spreads his wings. Oh lord, yeah! --Black Sabbath, War Pigs 
  • Jourles
    Jourles

I think U/D's question is getting totally lost in folk's ideas of which party is the best or what affiliation you currently are.

During my time in, I wasn't very political - as was many of my good friends. Most did have an opinion on how the presidency was run though. As a witness, you had a deep feeling of wanting to save the earth, since you were going to have to clean it up in the near future anyway. The better off the earth was, the less housekeeping you were gonna have to do. In this regard, many witnesses probably agreed with the liberal, tree hugging democrats. Whereas the republicans would sell their grandmother for rights to drill for oil. That is how I noticed many of my friends react. Whichever party took better care of the earth was the one who would be in favor of the jw's. The best that I can tell, the democrats typically fit this bill better than any other party.

But where you lived probably had something to do with your leanings as well. If you grew up in the south around guns and you went hunting all the time, did that make you lean republican? I'm curious to know this one too.

• outnfree
    outnfree

My experience is that XXJWs tend to become Democrats here in the U.S. I think Jourles has something when he mentions that most JWs supported environmental stewardship, and such stewardship is linked more closely with the Democratic party. I also think people who became JWs or were raised JWs are used to expecting something/One greater than themselves to take care of things, tell them the correct "formula for salvation", and to be not only benevolent but benign in their dealings. Democrats often give the impression of being the party with the "formula" for ensuring that the little guy will not be overlooked and that True Justice for ALL (TM) will prevail. Therefore, the fit is more comfortable -- at least initially. And who could argue that universal health care, for example, is not something that all humans deserve?

I think it VERY wise to examine issues for themselves and not just to tout the party line. In Michigan, you can vote for more than one party if you do not declare yourself in a primary race. This is what I myself have done, voting Republican on some issues/positions and Democratic on others. I, too, wish there were actually some viable choices for winners besides Dems or Reps, but, frankly, there are not, and I don't have the energy nor the passion about politics to try to make a third party work.

Someday soon I'll begin putting my $ .02 in about local government.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Sorry about my OT post then.

I dont think having been a dub has had much effect on my political views. I was interested in the subject while still a JW and found, much to my chagrin, my political views were often at odds with dubology.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I grew up in the Deep South but never really noticed or talked about anyone's political views. Boy did I ever get a SHOCK when I went around saying that I was going to vote Democratically!!! I thought some of these rednecks were going to get their guns after me!!! My brother works at a very well known corporation here in America and the entire place is Republican...you can't even say the D word! Until recently, he was of the mindset of his peers at work...but now sees what a mess this is!!! He has never been involved in politics but he's MAD now!!!

By the way, no one in my family that has faded or been DF'd has even voted...so they aren't Dems or Repubs. I would venture to say that's the way the majority of faders are.

When GW Bush was running, I decided to listen to both sides and that got my attention...until then, I had not been affiliated with anything political. My oldest son and I looked at each other one day and decided we couldn't sit by and just WATCH this without at least trying to make a difference.

I do try to put out information that I feel everyone should see and know about...what they decide about it is their business.

What that has to do with a tie to XXJW's, I don't know.....do you? Someone enlighten me...

Swalker

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I think most XJW's tend to be left leaning because of 1 of 2 reasons.

Reason#1, Most XJW's as JW's tended not to be as well educated, and took blue collar jobs. The Democratic party tends to give a message of sticking up for the "little guy".

Reason#2 Conservative parties usually have a majority (But aren't dominated by, despite the cries of Micheal Moore and Air America) of fundimentalist Christians. That tends to scare off people coming from a closed minded fundimentalist religion who are looking for intellectual freedom.

However, some XJW's, like me lean more to the right or high-right because most liberal parties platforms reminds them too much of the "Us vs Them" ad hominem speaches we used to get in the kingdom hall. If you were to shed doubt on the way how liberalism is run on any forum or group dominated by liberals, you would be seen as something evil and to be ostracized rather than somebody whose different veiws are tolerated and respected but not liked. Conservatives that I've talked to tend to be more accepting of different beliefs even though they may not like it. Some of us JW Conservatives-High Conservatives-Libertarians also saw how material success and intellectual creativity was punished rather than fostered in the JW's and in with more liberal ideologies.

Personally, I haven't met many low-right Conservatives that are XJW's.

BTW, if you want to know what a low-right or a high right conservative/liberal thing I'm referring to, check the Nolan chart.

Your "high" conservatives/liberals are those that tend to be socially liberal and your "low" ones tend to be socially conservative.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I think most XJW's tend to be left leaning because of 1 of 2 reasons.

Reason#1, Most XJW's as JW's tended not to be as well educated, and took blue collar jobs. The Democratic party tends to give a message of sticking up for the "little guy".

Quote: "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't know anything about it."

See the above highlighted sections....

Swalker

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

And what's that supposed to mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit