How to reply to the inevitable invitation to Memorial this year...

by nsrn 33 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

Here's what I did last year.

We talked for a while first about the weather, but then they exposed their real reason for coming. I thanked them for thinking of me, and then as they were turning to leave, I said "I have question, I would like to have your take on it. You know the later part of 1 Cor. 11, where it describes the Lord's evening meal? It says to keep doing this in remembrance of Jesus, but then at the end of verse 26, it says to keep doing it...until he arrives. Now it seems to me that since he has arrived in 1914, why would there be a need to keep having the memorial?

These were 2 elders, and one said he didn't have an answer, and the other said because it says to keep doing this in remembrance of me. I said, it does say that but the very last thing it says is "until he arrives". They said they would have to get back with me on that. I have seen these 2 guys numerous times since but they never made mention of it. Don't expect to see anyone this year, but if I do the question will be brought up again.

Now I know the society has a spin they put on this, I'll see if any that come by know what it is

• JH
    JH

Most memorials, they'll stop by here. Usually I don't open the door, not only to them, but to most pests. So, by not answering, that solves the problem. If accidentally I answer the door, and it's them, often I just asked what day and what time it will be, and I don't go. The worst is when they want to come in and talk.

I know that many here would love to confront them, but I'm they type to just say yah yah, and once they're gone, I do what I feel like doing.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

What is the canned jw response to the question starting over asks from Corinthians and the taking communion til Jesus returns, with the wt believing that Jesus returned in 1914, amongst other years??

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    How to reply to the inevitable invitation to Memorial this year...

I do not wish to deny the body and blood of christ this year, but thank you for the offer.

• daystar
    daystar

to Scully's response

I don't have much to say. I have been off-handedly asked by my mother perhaps once in the past four years.

But I would just embarass them by partaking and god knows no JW needs that sort of gossip flying around the hall.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I have never been invited to the memorial by the elders in the 11 years I have been gone. My parents invited me for 3 of those years but that has all stopped.

If I read your post correctly you are hesitant to offend the ones that help take care of your parents? I would just gently thank them for their concern and say that you will have to see.

Dams

• startingover
    startingover
    What is the canned jw response to the question starting over asks from Corinthians and the taking communion til Jesus returns, with the wt believing that Jesus returned in 1914, amongst other years??

If someone has the WT CD I'm sure they can pull it up. It don't think it's too canned though as most JW's read the scripture and never give a thought to what it says at the end. The 2 elders that came to see me looked surprised.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I will invite them in, pour three glasses of grape juice and matsa crackers and serve them, recite John 6:53 - Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Ask God to bless it, and eat and drink.

I am ready.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I doubt they'll bother me, being da'd, and also having moved house, though they know where I moved to, but if they come here we will just say no thanks.

If they persist, Digital Fokus's idea sounds like a good one....

• startingover
    startingover

Here's the spin on the "Until he arrives" statement:

One article titled "Why the Lord's Evening Meal Has Meaning For You" (WT March 15, l993 pg.5) states "Until he arrives, said Paul, evidently meaning that these observances would continue until Jesus' arrival to receive his anointed followers into heaven by a resurrection during his "presence."

Another reference, "Insight To The Scriptures", Vol. 2, page 269 states "Regarding the duration of this observance, "until he arrives," the apostle Paul evidently had reference to Christ's coming again and receiving them into heaven by a resurrection during the time of his presence."

Reader of WT literature beware anytime you see the word "evidently", that means they have absolutely no proof whatsoever.

Part in quotations compliments of: http://www.macgregorministries.org/jehovahs_witnesses/1914.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit