My dog ate rat poison today

by Purza 33 Replies latest jw friends

  • DelTheFunkyHomosapien

    No. I was giving him a lemonade icy pole and he got greedy and snatched and swallowed the whole thing. Rand the vet in a panic, he said to give him some oil (?) and keep an eye on him. Thats how i know how it came out.

  • Frog

    oh, so you lubed him up with oil and that's how it came out shiny and new :)

  • jgnat

    I am very relieved your dog came out of this OK. You are loving owners and took action as soon as you knew what had happened. I can easily think how your day might have gone WORSE.

  • greendawn

    This can happen occasionally that's why many ppl won't let even non dangerous unaggressive dogs roam freely in the neighbourhood. But luckily your dog seems to have survived apparently it didn't eat too much also it looks quite big and this helps in lowering the concentration of the poison.

    BTW there was a rat that was afflicting me for a long time and wouldn't touch poisoned seeds until I mixed them with mashed banana.

  • Purza
    You are extremely cat last year (he would eat anything) picked up something poisonous and unfortunately we had to euthanize he was suffering that much...there was nothing else we could do for him despite having vets working with him constantly for 24 hours.

    I am sorry about your cat diamondblue and I am in agreement with you -- no more rat poison! Catch and release is now our motto. The vet said that when a rat eats the poison, another animal could die if it eats the rat -- so it is a vicious cycle. Her boyfriend's cat died after eating a poisoned rat.

    And yes, Frog -- I always look at my dog's stool -- just to make sure everything looks "normal". LOL

    The vet bill ended up being $325 -- which was a big "ouch", but we would have paid even if it was more as it was totally our fault for not paying better attention. The vet gave us a bit of a discount on the charcoal as she said that stuff was very expensive!

    Thank again everyone.


  • Gregor

    Also, keep in mind that snail and slug bait is poisonous to dogs too. It must smell like food to them and they will sniff it out in hidden places.

    Our two chihuahuas are like twins in appearance but one is a picky eater and the other, Pepper, is a vacuum cleaner. Example, my wife and I both snore so we use those little orange foam ear plugs. These are always getting lost in the bed clothes, under the bed. etc. Every so often we find one of Peppers little turds with an orange 'nose cone' like a tiny rocket ship.

  • kristyann

    Glad your dog's okay and I hope your day gets better...

  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

    It came out as a poop-sicle! Purza, I'm glad your pup is going to be OK.

  • TopHat

    I am happy to hear Rusty had a good outcome...

  • dvw

    yes, he is fine. he has done it at least 3 times. lots of mice in this part of the usa. they get real tired and kind of "droopy acting". this is your best clue if you didnt actually see the dog eat it.

Share this