Parlour Tricks of the Mind

by LittleToe 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I offer you a few recent musings, to consider. I'm not trying to make statements of facts or argue for a set of beliefs, or anything of the sort. I guess I'd just really like to discuss the subject of the mind without getting entrenched positions on the various subjects surrounding it. I offer some statements to tease and tear apart, as a starter-for-ten.

Wish me luck - here goes:

Mysticism predominantly occupies the mind. It holds that in addition to the rational conscious mind there is a subconscious mind that does a little more than just keep the heart ticking and regulate the tearducts. This is the mind that surfaces in dreams, and disappears below the surface again, taking with it the wisps of forgetfulness.

In our day-to-day life the rational mind is often powerfully engaged, commandeering our actions with the force of logic (to the extent that our minds have been trained to apply it). Meanwhile the subconscious mind bubbles along quietly awaiting an opportunity to make it's presence felt. A hidden operating system, upon which the bulletin-board of rationality operates.

Many of the key tools of mysticism amount to parlour tricks to distract the rational mind and let intuition and potentially the avoided truth of a situation to shine through. Usually we don't want to hear it because it might not fit in with our plans. It disturbs us, though we have become well practised at subduing it.

It forces us to look at our constructed "life" from a different angle, one which would ultimately amount to a JamesThomas-style perspective of observation of the flowing processes of our mind and environment.

Oh, how I wish Bradley was here now! Discuss...

• Legolas
    Legolas

LT...None of my mind is working today....it's like I am hitting a wall

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So what colour is the wall?

• KW13
    KW13

If such a subconcious mind exists, then would that explain the strength people might get all of a sudden to move something heavy to help someone trapped and things like that.

The fight or flight thing, we are not in control of Adrenaline but it allows us to do some amazing things.

IF a person could use that strength whenever they needed it and apply that subconscious mind to tasks at hand, would we be in more control of ourselves?

• Legolas
    Legolas

Just white I guess..LOL..I just have too many problems on it for it to work..I guess it quit on me!

• Legolas
    Legolas

What Lies Beneath

The predominant school of thought on hypnosis is that it is a way to access a person's subconscious mind directly. Normally, you are only aware of the thought processes in your conscious mind. You consciously think over the problems that are right in front of you, consciously choose words as you speak, consciously try to remember where you left your keys.

But in doing all these things, your conscious mind is working hand-in-hand with your subconscious mind, the unconscious part of your mind that does your "behind the scenes" thinking. Your subconscious mind accesses the vast reservoir of information that lets you solve problems, construct sentences or locate your keys. It puts together plans and ideas and runs them by your conscious mind. When a new idea comes to you out of the blue, it's because you already thought through the process unconsciously.

Your subconscious also takes care of all the stuff you do automatically. You don't actively work through the steps of breathing minute to minute -- your subconscious mind does that. You don't think through every little thing you do while driving a car -- a lot of the small stuff is thought out in your subconscious mind. Your subconscious also processes the physical information your body receives.

In short, your subconscious mind is the real brains behind the operation -- it does most of your thinking, and it decides a lot of what you do. When you're awake, your conscious mind works to evaluate a lot of these thoughts, make decisions and put certain ideas into action. It also processes new information and relays it to the subconscious mind. But when you're asleep, the conscious mind gets out of the way, and your subconscious has free reign.

Psychiatrists theorize that the deep relaxation and focusing exercises of hypnotism work to calm and subdue the conscious mind so that it takes a less active role in your thinking process. In this state, you're still aware of what's going on, but your conscious mind takes a back seat to your subconscious mind. Effectively, this allows you and the hypnotist to work directly with the subconscious. It's as if the hypnotism process pops open a control panel inside your brain .

• KW13
    KW13

Very interesting Legless

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

When you dream is the sky blue?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well I can see its too early for me to respond to this thread.

Sherry

...................goes off to get her cuppa to wake herself up and think about all this.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Legolas,

What he doesn't understand is that it's not the color of the wall that's important, but how padded it is.

Love yas,

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit