Parlour Tricks of the Mind

by LittleToe 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• deeskis
    deeskis

I think it's a pandoras box!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Setting aside the scientific details of the rational/subrational processes, which has the greater ability to affect your heartrate, your conscious or subconscious mind?

(I'm specifically talking about a situation without training, incidentally)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

What do you hear from the inside of the box when you shake it?

• Legolas
    Legolas
    You don't actively work through the steps of breathing minute to minute -- your subconscious mind does that.

Sorry, to correct you but it isn't the subconscious mind that regulates your breathing, it's the Medulla Oblongota located in the brainstem that controls it. The Medulla Oblongota also controls your heart heart, swallowing, blinking.

Robdar...LOL...I just felt bad for going off topic so I googled subconscious mind and posted that!...I didn't know if it was true or not, but I found it interesting!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Setting aside the scientific details of the rational/subrational processes, which has the greater ability to affect your heartrate, your conscious or subconscious mind?

I guess it all depends on the amount of control you are able to exert over your mind that will affect your heartrate. When I want to lower my heart rate or blood pressure, I give my mind the command to do it. So, in my case, it would be my mind and not my subconsious that does it.

Hey, LT, what is the sound of one butt cheek flapping?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Setting aside feeling bad, for a moment, what does a Medulla Oblongota feel like, and how does that impact the colour of the sweater you will wear today?

• Robdar
    Robdar

at Legolas. Sorry to correct you but I couldn't let all the money I spent at college go to waste!

• gumby
    gumby

DR. Robdar is correct

Function of the medulla oblongata

1. To control autonomic functions (such as breathing and heartbeat)
    2. To relay nerve messages from the brain to the spinal cord
    3. Processing of inter-aural time differences for sound localization (olivary nuclei)
    4. Function control of sneeze-, cough-, swallow-, suck-reflex and of vomiting.
    5. Makin yer dinger flaccid( number 5 is mine)
    6. Gumby
  • Navigator
    Navigator

Roger on the "Hot Water"!

The "sub-conscious" also controls how we react to situations. Our response to events in our lives is already "programmed" by our response to similar events in our past. Sometimes our reaction is not to the present moment but only a replay of some past event. Or as one text puts it "I am never angry for the reason I think". Anyone who has traveled on an unpaved road after a rain knows whereof I speak. It is sometimes hard to get out of the ruts.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I intentionally worded my reply the way I did because I would suggest that the conscious mind can be trained to pass on effective messages to the subconscious, to let it loose on your physical systems.

In the case of the butt-cheek, it's not so much the sound as is important as the texture of the pants enclosing the butt cheek

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit