Do You Believe In The Bible At All?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I believe that the book exists. I've seen in many homes, churches, and bookstores. Is it the inerrant word of God? Should it be seen as a divine message to all of mankind. Regardless if it is or if it not, no one can doubt the impact the book has had on the world, especially western civilization. There are things that are very human about the book, and over the past few months I have been looking at it from that perspective more and more. So do I believe in it? Most of what that question entails is that do you believe in supernatural phenoma desribed in its pages, and if it is all real. I don't doubt the supernatural, my gut feeling (whatever it is worth) takes me to believe it is there. I'm just borderline between the Bible being inerrant or being human, and if it is from God (whole or in part) what his purpose with it is. It surely is a book that drives home the point of being a spiritual person, something I agree with. On the other hand, I don't know if trying to defend every single line as if it is from Gods mouth is helpful. I actually like to see the spiritual more with faith, rather than fact.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

It is impossible that the bible is the inspired word of god - impossible.

• JAVA
    JAVA

I don't believe the Bible is inspired and/or directed by God. Indeed, if the Bible is really the word of God, it doesn't speak well for His followers or for that matter, God himself.

• upside/down
    upside/down

I think Playboy has brought more pleasure to man, and is more widely read...than the Bible ever could hope to be....

I don't believe the Bible is inspired and/or directed by God.& Indeed, if the Bible is really the word of God, it doesn't speak well for His followers or for that matter,& God himself.

Agreed! u/d

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Do you believe God used men to write his thoughts?

No ...There is no god!

• kid-A
    kid-A

"I believe that most of it is inspired of God but not all of it,"

Interesting. So basically, god, who claims to be the supreme being of the universe, the essence of wisdom and perfection, decides to "inspire" parts of his holy book, and allow other parts to be bullshit? Sounds like the work of a real genius. If a human writer today tried to publish a book, claimed it was inspired, and then eventually it was found out it was 50% truth and 50% nonsense, such a writer would publicly mocked, scorned, sued, and be considered a charlatan and fraud.

• dvw
    dvw

nope. why would an "all powerful" god use such a "fuzzy" mysterious book to reach all people. he could contact each person individually any time it was needed. why make it such a stupid fairy tale? my biggest fear is that "jehovah" is really the equivalent of an 8 year old, and some day his folks are going to be real pissed at the mess he made of earth and flush the whole works down the toilet. kind of like the old star trek episode.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No.

I believe it is a book of ancient mythology...totally untrue, including all of its characters.

I think Playboy has brought more pleasure to man, and is more widely read...than the Bible ever could hope to be....

I agree. At least the playmates exist.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

I don't know whether any of it is "inspired" but I do believe that parts of it are "beneficial" just as any other book may contain beneficial instruction. There are some stories in the Bible that never did sit right with me. I guess the people who constantly describe the Bible God as 'loving' mentally omit the vengeful, jealous side portrayed in the scriptures.

That said, I do believe there is a God and that he communicates with those that seek him. As for all the jealousy, exclusive devotion and executions - sounds more man-made than God-said. For centuries men have used Holy books to keep the masses in line and to divide people based on their acceptance of some holy teachings. The results have not been very good, have they?

sweet tee

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I used to believe it completely, but I find it difficult to do so now. The longer I'm away from the wts, the less belief I have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit