Why I belong to JWD

by Jez 36 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I first came here because I needed to. I was on the verge of leaving the jws, and needed the support available on here. Without this board, I would still have left, but breaking away would have been less easy. I have learned so much on here, and know far more about the jws now than I ever did as an active one.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Because I miss my brothers and sisters

As much as you have said this very much 'tongue in cheek' slugga, this is absolutely true; I mean (and it has been said previously on this thread) people here are very much 'real'; the way people should have been inside the psuedo utopian environment we came from. DB74

• slugga
    slugga
    Because I miss my brothers and sisters
    As much as you have said this very much 'tongue in cheek' slugga, this is absolutely true; I mean (and it has been said previously on this thread) people here are very much 'real'; the way people should have been inside the psuedo utopian environment we came from. ; DB74

No I meant it. For me there were two types of Dubs, the self righteous goody two shoes who never seemed to put a foot wrong (In public) and then their were my friends. They'd mess around at the end of meetings, spend more time planning on what pub we were going to that night rather than going over the yummy spiritual food we'd just consumed. They'd get drunk occasionally, start the odd pub peanut fight and maybe tell the odd rude joke when they were sure no one spiritual was around but they were good people. Faithful to Jehovah and always ready to step in with a word of encouragement or counsel if needed. To me they were the kind of people who Jesus would have surrounded him self with, not the goody goody "Aren't I spiritually wonderful" types. As we grew older our lives took us off in different directions until I was left In a hall full of stuffy self righteous goody two shoes, I couldn't carry on like that so I left . This Site is like being back with those friends, there's a lot of strong characters in here. As you pointed out its full of "real" people as opposed to stepford dubs and I wish that I'd known most of you lot when I was still in. These people are my kind of dub. ...We'd have all probably ended up getting DF'd but it would have been worth it. Matt

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just wanted to get 4 Brits in a thread in a row!

• ballistic
    ballistic

I was playing "connect 4"

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    They'd mess around at the end of meetings, spend more time planning on what pub we were going to that night rather than going over the yummy spiritual food we'd just consumed. They'd get drunk occasionally, start the odd pub peanut fight and maybe tell the odd rude joke when they were sure no one spiritual was around but they were good people. Faithful to Jehovah and always ready to step in with a word of encouragement or counsel if needed. To me they were the kind of people who Jesus would have surrounded him self ; with, not the goody ;goody "Aren't I spiritually wonderful" types.

Precisely my point...I am glad it wasnt just me that started the peanut fights.... The thing is we wouldnt pretend we were any different either...we even messed about during the meetings too.... I was often late as were most of those that I went around with at the time so we ended sitting at the front...this didnt stop the fits of hysterics that usually went on and sometimes for no good reason other than the old 'laughing in church' syndrome. One particular time (in bandcamp) the TMS was going through the proclaimers book and every time it was mentioned one of us would (under our breaths) sing either 'a letter from america' or '5000 miles'; as if that wasnt funny enough at the time one of us had a pair of glasses exactly like one of the singers of the proclaimers (see below) but he never wore them; the only time he would ever put them on was when the proclaimers book was mentioned....it probably wouldnt have been half as funny had it not been on the front row of the Kingdom Hall but funny it was. It didnt go unnoticed and we were often in trouble at the end of the meeting from some elder wishing to know what the in joke was....we never did tell him....I am not ashamed to say that I missed those days! DB74 alt

• slugga
    slugga

Ah you could have been in our gang but for the fact you sat at the front, Only the Po (Face) , his clan and the A-list dubs sat the front, we'd sit at the back with the living dead Disfellowshipped ones

We got banned from our favorite country pub one night over a peanut fight, we all went home kakking ourselves because we were sure someone in the party would grass us up.

We got away with it though

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I echo the sentiments of super_becka. My wife is a jw (mainly inactive) and I need to learn about the organization. She has no idea I post here as well. You all are wonderful and help me more than you can imagine, I thank you all and consider many of you friends that I may never meet.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    but for the fact you sat at the front

We were never on time enough to have a choice of where we sat....it was either at the front or in the second school (if we sat there, we would get thrown out and our motley crue would be displaced by an ever eager attendant assuring us there are at least 4 seperate seats available in the main hall....but seperate was never good...seperate had the tendency to be boring.

I remember very well the talks about sitting with your family and that youths shouldnt sit together....they spoiled all the fun...at the KH and at Assemblies.

DB74

• slugga
    slugga
    One particular time (in bandcamp) the TMS was going through the proclaimers book and every time it was mentioned one of us would (under our breaths) sing either 'a letter from america' or '5000 miles';

Boy you REALLY were an Evil Dub !

The Proclaimers are huge in Scotland (because they sing with regional accents) where they are also known to dubs as born again happy clappy christian types and I don't have to tell you how dubs would view them. And theres you, naughty English boy singing proclaimers songs under your breath in a kingdom hall in the middle of a meeting lol its a wonder Satan didn't turn up and whoop yer arse lol

Incidentally they're also big in the states because of their christian music, so big that they even got to do the Simpson's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit