Were you a popular Witness?

by Brigid 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Brigid
  • Brigid
    Brigid

Please tell me, guys, for those of you that were/are popular--does it not make you miss it? And also, I'd like to know how you fared among worldly people at school/work, etc.

I'm doing a sociological armchair study.

Also, want to know the valididity of mine and the CO's theory of those of us who were just NEVER meant to be witnesses.

Input please!

~Brigid

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

It’s a good question, but hard to answer truthfully, firstly how do we define “popular” in the WTS Congregations.

• There is the type who give answers on every question at every meeting, so some like to stay close to these so as to appear as ‘spiritual’ as they are, these may appear popular to others but really are a pain.
    • Then there are those who are “high profile”, maybe related to Elders or C/O etc…again some stay close to these but only to suck up to the elders or C/O.
    • Then there are pioneers who don’t stop boosting about it, not all are like that, but the ones who are get some who again support them but only because they are afraid to get on their wrong side.
    • There are those are handsome and pretty and think they are God’s gift to the congregation, maybe because they are so good looking or other reasons which I haven’t worked out yet, they get friends because there friends want to be indentifeid in the same light.

I’m sure you can think of more people like this, so I really wonder many many times, these popular ones how really loved were they, did they really have any friends, I noticed that if some of these types left, no one really seemed to missed them. Not being popular in the JW world isn’t a bad thing, it just shows you were a good sincere and honest person. Sorry if I sound like a fruit cake. lol

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I was invisible. That's why I was able to fade w/o anyone knowing or caring except for my immediate family.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Liquidsky,

In the interest of my armchair study, do you find that you were/are popular among "worldlings"?

~Brigid

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

So nobody will ask me what my ethnic makeup is anymore.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

When I was involved with the Witlesses, I didn't have a family in the troof or an elder dad and I was not a pioneer, so that pretty much meant you were on your own. I am so glad I wasn't popular though because I was able to fade out and no one seemed to notice.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

No, I was not popular. The only times anyone was aware of my existence is when they needed help moving, needed their computers fixed for free, or had something to counsel me about. At first it bothered me that I could not fit in, no matter how hard I tried. I eventually came to the realization that I didn't fit in because I was not like them, and I wasn't related to any of them except for my mom. I was not superficial, I was no ass kisser, and I wasn't stupid. I had interests and hobbies that went far beyond anything the Watchtower could offer me. It's no wonder I couldn't fit in.

W

• Mary
    Mary

Yes and no. My family was not "strong in de Troof", so growing up, we were never invited out anyplace. Plus I was overweight and Witness kids can be just as cruel and worldly kids are if you're more than 5 frigging pounds overweight.

When I dropped the weight and started wearing make up, ya, I suddenly became very popular..........my personality was still the same, but people most definitely treat you differently and judge you by your appearance and Witnesses are no different. How shallow is that??

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

Never been popular anywhere, never will be. I am friendly. I get invited sometimes. Everyone likes me. But no tried and true friends. Never met someone "cut from the same cloth." My loss really. Perhaps i keep people at an arms length.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit