The fallacy of 'spirituality'.

by nicolaou 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

I really wonder what is left of the concept of "non-religious spirituality" once those two elements are distinguished.

Probably very little, though even by dictionary defintion aesthetics and morality are very much involved in the meaning of 'spirituality'. I resent the way that religions take ownership of words that existed both in form and essence before they even existed.

Spirituality is a word that is much wider in concept, I would suggest even universal, than the religious context into which it finds itself crammed. It needs to be re-liberated.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I resent the way that religions take ownership of words that existed both in form and essence before they even existed.

Og and Mog and the rest of the Neanderthal clan were burying their dead with religious ritual a long time ago....

• TopHat
    TopHat

Being an xjw, I am convinced we can be convinced into believing anything...even Atheism ...and I almost believed that myself.......but not anymore. There is to much evidence around us to prove an Intelligent creator. However, I do question the Bible.

• 5go
    5go
    Being an xjw, I am convinced we can be convinced into believing anything...even Atheism ...and I almost believed that myself.......but not anymore. There is to much evidence around us to prove an Intelligent creator. However, I do question the Bible.

Wow nearly word for word what I said as I slowly realized I was wrong on more things than just what belief system I belonged too.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

HS and BTS:

It's apparent that in your last posts you use a different definition of "religion"... If any ritual surrounding death qualifies as "religious" (BTS) an atheist burial (or cremation) is "religious," too. If the label "religion" is reduced to a few current and past institutions (HS)this leaves more room for non-religious "spirituality" -- but it is only a conventional identification in one case, distinction in the other.

Couldn't we all get along?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I hope so.

alt

Peace off.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

is a 'spiritual' approach to life any better for our mental and emotional well-being than being part of an organised religion?

At this stage of human social evolution, perhaps. It can provide a moderating effect, and a healthful effect (when the specific views examined happen to be inclusive on the one hand, life-affirming on the other). It can be a religion of one, IMO the best kind, and free of dogma or the need for bureaucratic self-perpetuation. For me personally, yes - it's better. More freedom, more ability to express myself, more options to love.

There are always individuals at the leading curve of development. Perhaps evolution of our thinking will bring us all to an absence of linking experience to beliefs, and any sort of personal belief will be unnecessary to tap into the experience of being fully supported, or appreciated, or loved, or whatever "God" offers on tap to the individual believing. Perhaps evolution of our society will bring us all to having the experience of being fully supported, etc., because we will get that from the actual flesh and blood people in our lives, obviating the need to find it in "God".

For this slightly less evolved human, the belief in a spiritual realm gives my imagination a context and my body an experience that adds to my life. I think my kind will eventually die out, though. When we realize the kind of society that provides for individuals as "Bible God" is supposed to, perhaps.

For as long as this erroneous view is held, its adherents will be held fast to the bedrock of ignorance and fallacy to which all organised religions are securely attached.

Not quite. The religion of one is most open to flexibility and change, and has less need to self-perpetuate. It is more easily disposed of when no longer needed. It is less dogmatic, and usually has fewer mandates. It is free from the mandates and changes of other people. Is it true freedom from superstition? No...but it's better than organized religion. And it is more informed, even if only by the flimsy skeleton of personal experience.

To the ‘spiritual’ man or woman who has left the Kingdom Hall behind I say this, your journey is not yet over. For as long as you hold onto your ‘spirituality’ you can continue to call believers of all other faiths your ‘brothers’ – yes, even the Muslim extremist and the Jehovah’s Witnesses you left behind.

For me, it is my "spirituallity" that lets me call all men "brothers". But I feel closest to my unbelieving brothers.

The ravings of a godless atheist? Rather that than the delusions of ‘spirituality’.

Perhaps one day I will grow to the point where I have no "need" to believe in this "love without desire" that brings me a sense of connection to the world around me. Until then, I will continue with this belief in the intangible fallacy that seems to bind me to existence - and compels me only to be whatever it is that I am.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    There is to much evidence around us to prove an Intelligent creator.

TopHat, that is so easily said. Would you mind if I borrow your words to start a topic?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

Og and Mog and the rest of the Neanderthal clan were burying their dead with religious ritual a long time ago....

My point exactly, Though arguably lacking in aesthetics and morality, they had a dimension that was not of the material in their psyche. Religion has hogged the word 'spiritual' and made it its own. It has even driven the many flavored Terry from the word. ;)

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Nark,

As an example of the way that religious minds have hogged the whole concept of spirituality I present a link from the Kriya Yoga site, which to me defines the abuse that this beautiful word has been subjected too. I deliberately avoided a Christian definition lest I be accused of 'hating Christians', a nonsense that has been atrributed to me more than once. I could not disagree more with this definition.

http://www.kriyayoga.com/english/encyclopedia/spirituality.htm

lol...Your wish is my command Rodney.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit